Is RCI even better ?

I think the service is much better on RCI than Princess. One of the reasons for RCI to have higher prices is they're ship are sailing full while Princess is having trouble filling some ships/sailings.. PCL is going down hill since the CCL purchase and there have been lots of complaints recently regarding staff, service, cleanliness etc.

yes rci's prices have gone way up and no you are not getting anything more. the food and service to me has decreased but not by much. the room stewards are now responsible for a lot more rooms, we could tell they could not spend very much time on each room. what has changed are a lot of the little extras that you received on your last cruise are now gone, or you will now have to pay extra for. you might be in for a shock. take some time to read through the posts here, there are many that discuss the new fees and charges and the "take aways" you will really need your cruise card now more than ever.

My parents recently took a Princess cruise to Alaska-it was their first & last Princess cruise. They had previously been on RC 2x. They said the service was poor on Princess in comparison w/RC. They had several major complaints (maitre'd messed up table assignment-their card said one seating...he told them they needed to go to the other time...their assigned time was "full"??) It ended up that my parents were put with some veteran Princess folks...who said that based upon their last 2 cruising experiences w/Princess they wouldn't be coming back. They said the changes since Carnival were mainly customer service oriented..food/shows/etc. weren't affected.

IMHO intinerary, ship features and you personal outlook will effect your opinon

If I was a couple, liked the intinerary and the RCCL ship was alot more expensive, I'd go with princess. While the service may not be as good on Princess we're talking about the odd longer wait for a drink or a few more tired staff that aren't giving their 110%. It's not like Princess is filled with angry staff waiting to yell at every passsenger.

If I had kids in tow I would likely chose RCCL for the better children's facilities.

You have to remember that every ship in every line (indeed every cruise) has it's own atmosphere and "vibe." Heck, the last cruise I was on I was swearing off that particular line while the couple next to me just had the time of their lives!

RCCL (usually) has good service, but it's not that much better than any of the major mid-market cruise lines. It's really up to you how important that little extra is. If it was a couple of hundred bucks total and meant I would be on a voyager or radiance class ship, I'd might spring for RCCL. But if it was alot more I'd go a better cabin on Princess or spend my savings on the spa and better shore excursions. And if money was no option and I was booking an expensive suite, why the heck book any mid-market cruise line? For about the same price you can be on Silversea.

We were on the Caribbean Princess Christmas cruise last December. We were not impressed.

Admittedly, I have only been on one cruise, on Princess, (Caribbean Princess). Loved everything about it, service was wonderful, food terrific, and loved that the pools were not on top of each other, but on different spots on the ship, which spread out the bathers/sun worshippers. Also liked that the water was not salt water (in the pools) Loved the 24 hours dining too. Will try out RCI next, on Freedom or Mariner. The biggest drawback to me (for Mariner) is the pool situation, as they are side by side.

I really think it seems, from reading these boards, that ANY ship can have an off week, nothing is constant in this world.

I think the service is much better on RCI than Princess. One of the reasons for RCI to have higher prices is they're ship are sailing full while Princess is having trouble filling some ships/sailings.. PCL is going down hill since the CCL purchase and there have been lots of complaints recently regarding staff, service, cleanliness etc.

Are you saying that Princess is not doing well. Which would mean Carnival made a mistake in stealing them from RCI? Do you think Princess would have done better under RCI? Is RCI lucky they didn't get the deal? Is Princess doing bad enough that Carnival Corp. mite jettison them from the company.

Archived