LittleMissMagic's ~INDEPENDENCE~ Christmas Cruise **Photo Review**

I'm really doubly excited to read this review, as I am cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in December, which I think is the same class of ship as yours...

I'm sorry to read about your sister's injury and hope she is healing well. She has a nice bright smile in all of the pictures, so it seems even though she's in pain she's got a great attitude!

I love reading your reviews, your pictures are breath taking, I wish I had the patience to learn how to do that with a camera, but I don't so my camera method is "walk around and take as many pictures as you can, hope some of them come out decently!!" :-)

12704893535_4650e7eb81_c.jpg

Hello, Cruise Critics! Welcome to my 2014 [independence of the Seas] Christmas Cruise Trip Report!

I'm Victoria (aka "LittleMissMagic", aka "LMM")! I'm an alumni of Clemson University, and I'm currently pursuing my Masters of Architecture at UCLA. In addition to architecture, I enjoy photography, traveling, and sharing my experiences with others. This is my ninth review on Cruise Critic, and a long overdue return to the Royal Caribbean board (find links to my past reviews in my signature below)! And if you enjoy my review, please check out my travel blog, Victoria on Vacation, or keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

WARNING: This review will contain a large quantity of photos. It may also contain a lot of bad jokes.

I have a strange sense of humor, and I probably make myself laugh more than anyone else. But I don't take myself too seriously, and you shouldn't, either. There will be a bit of fun-poking and perhaps some sarcasm, but you're all invited to join in on the fun! I encourage you to post comments to share your thoughts and experiences, or just to tell me who you are!

Once Loyal, Returning to Royal

A few years ago, I used to proudly proclaim to be a Loyal Royal. Royal Caribbean was the best cruise line, hands down - that's what I would tell people here on Cruise Critic. Royal did a few things to disappoint me, sure, but I would shrug it off. Then one day it hit me.... how do I know that Royal Caribbean is the best cruise line when I haven't even sailed other cruise lines recently?

So I said good-bye to brand loyalty and started choosing cruises based on the places I wanted to visit and the ships I wanted to sail. Not being loyal to a brand really gives you a lot more options. Sailing different cruise lines is also a great to mix up the nightly entertainment and the food offered... and I've started accumulating loyalty with other cruise lines, so my eggs aren't all in one basket.

And it was not loyalty that lead me back to Royal Caribbean, but the cruise itself. So I returned not as a Loyal Royal, but a cruising fanatic who enjoys sailing many different lines.

This review will be fun, but critical at times, and it's not because I either love or loathe Royal Caribbean, but because it is not helpful or productive to be on either end of the spectrum. I will point out what I found to be successful, as well as areas which I believe need improvement. And you are always welcome to agree or disagree with me!

Traveling Party

My dad, Boyd, is rather easygoing. One has to be when constantly surrounded by three females. Also, perhaps my strange humor comes from him because if you aren't laughing at his jokes, you're laughing at how bad they are.

My mom, Sharon, tries her best to create order in this group of crazies. Before leaving on vacation, she cleans the house "in case someone breaks in while we're gone." We wouldn't want the burglars to think we're slobs.

My sister, Rachel, has an incredibly warm and outgoing personality. Also, out of our entire family, she might be the only one who is actually funny.

Now what are we waiting for? Time to cruise the Caribbean (St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, and Labadee) on the Independence of the Seas!

Come sail away with me!

Just reading your first post makes me want to follow along! Thanks for the time and effort, look forward to your "story" and photos....K.O.:)

I'm really doubly excited to read this review, as I am cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in December, which I think is the same class of ship as yours...

I'm sorry to read about your sister's injury and hope she is healing well. She has a nice bright smile in all of the pictures, so it seems even though she's in pain she's got a great attitude!

I love reading your reviews, your pictures are breath taking, I wish I had the patience to learn how to do that with a camera, but I don't so my camera method is "walk around and take as many pictures as you can, hope some of them come out decently!!" :-)

The Freedom is the same class of ship, and it is wonderful! I sailed on her in June of last year and had a fabulous time! I am so looking forward to sailing on Indy in July.

BTW, how did the cruise in December go with the ex? I loved your review of the Enchantment!! Inquiring minds (okay, who am I kidding, I mean nosy) want to know!!

[Day 3] At Sea

Our second sea day consisted of another anticlimactic morning of sleeping in. Also, we forgot to put out our Do Not Disturb sign and didn't flip the dead bolt, and based on a few awkward interactions with our cabin steward, we're fairly confident that he walked in on us while we were snoozing.

16189921432_b3f186e134_b.jpg

Caribbean Water by vshingl, on Flickr

Johnny Rockets

Already sick of the Windjammer, we decided to eat lunch at Johnny Rockets. There's a $5.95 "dining fee" per person. I swear this used to be $4.95, and I think charging $6 for a burger is a little ridiculous. You do get to order whatever you want from the menu (Except milkshakes which are additional... and there is a Crown & Anchor Society credit which gives you buy one/get one shakes. Also, soda is included for those with the soda or beverage package).

16188836071_03a80440c6_b.jpg

Johnny Rockets by vshingl, on Flickr

Half Fries/Half Onion Rings are a good go-to appetizer.

16189921902_67b4165896_b.jpg

Half Fries Half Onion Rings by vshingl, on Flickr

The ketchup at Johnny Rockets is always happy.

16188835951_9242f58217_b.jpg

Smiley Ketchup by vshingl, on Flickr

My dad had the Chili Cheese Fries.

16003378550_88a739e613_b.jpg

Chili Cheese Fries by vshingl, on Flickr

And I had the Bacon Cheese Fries. I liked the Chili Cheese better.

15570900993_18e4f3d4f6_b.jpg

Bacon Cheese Fries by vshingl, on Flickr

I agreed to be the other half of my dad's BOGO milkshake, but I didn't really care for it. I don't really enjoy sweet drinks, and the chocolate milkshake was just too sugary for my taste.

15570901013_6b3278c363_b.jpg

Chocolate Milkshake by vshingl, on Flickr

Dad, however, enjoyed his vanilla milkshake.

15570901033_5756407405_b.jpg

Vanilla Milkshake by vshingl, on Flickr

I had the Smoke House Burger, and I enjoyed it, but it was very big and I couldn't eat all of it. I suppose maybe I can understand why they charge $6 to dine here.

16190716605_5f097512ef_b.jpg

Smoke House Burger by vshingl, on Flickr

Part of the fun experience of Johnny Rockets is the dancing waiters. And they always want Rachel and me to dance with them. Rach used her bum foot as an excuse to stay seated, but I felt obligated to join them and make a fool of myself.

16004646699_b66fc8aca7_b.jpg

Johnny Rockets by vshingl, on Flickr

Dessert is also included at Johnny Rockets. The Hot Fudge Sundae is lovely (and delicious).

16004923907_2aac919eaf_b.jpg

Hot Fudge Sundae by vshingl, on Flickr

I had the Apple Pie a la mode which was also very good.

15568322854_04945f0629_b.jpg

Apple Pie a la mode by vshingl, on Flickr

Is Johnny Rockets "worth it"? It's a cute restaurant. However, there are franchises everywhere (which have more extensive menus), so I wouldn't feel particularly obligated to eat there on a cruise. I do think it's a good break from the typical buffet food, and it's nice to be able to go and be seated, not having to worry about finding a table or waiting five minutes for the person in front of you to carefully select the bacon for their burger in the Windjammer.

Also, I'm a little bitter about this price increase. $5 is like whatever, pocket change. But $6? Who do you think you are - Serendipity?

In all seriousness, I understand the reason for the cover charge is more for crowd control than the cost of the food. But I really wish that there were a la carte prices so that you could just go in and order chili cheese fries. Because sometimes I just want fries, but if I have to pay $6 just to go there, you bet I'm going to order every dang thing from the menu (kidding... but at least each course).

The Flowrider

The day before, we met a guy in the hot tub (a dentist from Canada) who loves the Flowrider. He told us that he books his vacations based on places that have Flowriders. And he tried to convince Rachel and me to try it.

Don't get your hopes up - you will see no photos of me on the Flowrider because I never did it. And Rachel had a walking boot on, so she definitely wasn't doing it, and I'm thankful that she didn't follow through with her plan to force me to. I enjoyed watching other people do it (meh, let's be honest - I enjoyed watching people wipeout more). But I just had no desire to get out there and try it myself. It just seemed like too much effort. First I would have to fill out a waiver, signing away my health. Then I would have to stand in a ridiculously long line. I would have to get a perfectly good t-shirt wet (because Flowrider guy warned us that we should wear shirts because the water will push your bikini top up). All of that just to fall down and get washed away by a powerful jet-stream of water. Maybe next time.

Our Canadian Flowriding fan was really good, though. Definitely the best I saw all cruise. I guess if you vacation just to Flowride, you must be pretty great at it.

16004647129_258165ef11_b.jpg

Flowrider by vshingl, on Flickr

We watched stand-up Flowriding. They also have kneeboarding. We were told that on megaships Oasis and Allure, there are two Flowriders - one dedicated to kneeboarding and the other stand-up.

16164886326_b73d219f2c_b.jpg

And they do help you out. The employees will show you how to stand on the board and hold your hands, walking you out towards the center until you get your balance.

16004721479_3c254113fb_b.jpg

16189921342_5e9c0dd192_b.jpg

H20 Zone by vshingl, on Flickr

Time to Spa

I swear that the spa service that Royal Caribbean contracts has had a name change because I know I have filled out those exact forms before, but I don't remember it being called "timetospa". Anyway, Norwegian uses the same spa company on their cruise ships, too.

I'm not a big massage girl. Rachel gets a massage every cruise, but I haven't had a massage since the Serenade of the Seas in 2010.... when I was in high school! Lately, though, my back has been hurting... perhaps due to my old age or maybe the heavy bookbag that I carry back and forth to school. Whatever the reason, I really wanted a massage.

Rachel suggested that I try the hot stone massage, so I did. I've always been curious about hot stones, especially since they might be shown in at least 70% of all massage advertising materials.

First my masseuse asked me my age. I know I have a baby face, but I'm getting a little tired of people telling me I look 17. But apparently Royal Caribbean has a Teen Spa, now, and the prices are better. So if you are under 18, you should definitely check out the Teen Spa menu.

My masseuse, Anna, was really friendly and seemed to genuinely care that I enjoyed the massage. She talked to me about areas of pain before we started and what my "goals" were from the massage. There were a few awkward moments. Like at one point, she told me that my massage was really expensive, so she wanted me to get the most out of it. "Do you know how much it costs?" "Actually, no." The menus don't have prices on them. "$195." "Oh, okay." I didn't think that was a bad price, but then she kind of freaked me out by telling me that it was expensive. I didn't know any better... was I overpaying? Did I book something I didn't need? (Afterwards, Rachel told me that the price was typical and that hers cost the same.)

I really enjoyed the massage, though. The hot stones were neat - I didn't know much about them, but it turns out that they don't just set them on your back, but rub them all over first. I thought it was a good pace, and she did spend extra time focusing on the area that I had pointed out to her as being a trouble spot.

The end of spa procedures is what makes me really uncomfortable because that's when you get a sales pitch. They'll write you a "prescription" and tell you all of these things you need to do, using big fancy buzzwords like "toxins". So the entire time she was giving me her "scientific" reason for my back pain, I was just waiting for the sales pitch. At one point, she told me all of this stuff I need to do and looks at me - "Will you do this for yourself, Victoria?" "Uh, I don't know." "What don't you know? Don't you want what is best for your body?" "I ... I guess." "Then why won't you do this for yourself?" "I don't know.... aren't you trying to sell me something? Because I'm not really in a good place to buy things right now." I might have offended her. She told me that she wasn't trying to sell me anything and gave me my "prescription" on a card so that I could come back if I decided I did want to buy the products that she wasn't trying to sell me. I tipped her additionally for my awkwardness.

So despite my social weirdness, it was good. And I think I'll get a massage again... and I won't wait five years this time.

Romeo & Juliet Dining Room

Rachel and I were a little late to the dinner since we didn't have much time to get ready after our massages.

For my appetizer, I ordered the Crab Cake.

16003260088_acb07d3417_b.jpg

Crab Cake by vshingl, on Flickr

I wasn't feeling the menu that night, so I ordered the Aged Hand-Cut Manhattan Strip Steak off the classics menu. I liked it just fine... definitely not the best steak I've had, but it was edible. However, Rachel also had the Strip Steak twice on the cruise, and she complained about its lack of flavor each time.

15570901163_3efcde0f18_b.jpg

Aged Hand-Cut Manhattan Strip Steak by vshingl, on Flickr

And for dessert, the Rum Baba Cake was alright.

16189922042_4a7acfb7a7_b.jpg

Rum Baba by vshingl, on Flickr

The flowrider looks like fun! But I'd be one of those people who wiped out, so... no....

I've never had a massage, but I imagine if my masseuse told me the price in the middle of giving me the massage, it would kind of ruin my relaxed mood! Awkward!

Hot fudge sundae!! That would be reason enough for me to go to JRs! :)

[Day 3] At Sea

Already sick of the Windjammer, we decided to eat lunch at Johnny Rockets. There's a $5.95 "dining fee" per person. I swear this used to be $4.95, and I think charging $6 for a burger is a little ridiculous.

It was $3.95 as recently as 2008. Plus if you were a C&A member you got a waiver coupon. I wish they would switch back to that instead of the BOGO milkshake.

Enjoying yet another fantastic review Victoria. Clemson was my son's second choice for college. (He is currently a freshman studying ME at University of Tulsa - He wanted a smaller school.) I really loved Clemson when we visited and if I was choosing for myself, it would have been MY first choice. Incredible friendliness and school spirit! I still have a high school sophomore daughter so there is still hope....

I am in awe of your photography skills. I finally got a DSLR (Canon T5i) last year and the information from your reviews helped me to begin to explore the camera's capabilities during our recent Thanksgiving cruise on Liberty. I still have a VERY long way to go...

You'll be happy to know that the JRs on Quantum is a la carte! They must have heard your thoughts! :eek: We didn't eat there this time, but it's more of a take-away place and mostly outdoors, although there are some of the usual red booths. Really wish all the JRs had the free breakfast like they do on Oasis and Allure! But the Quantum WJ is huge with plenty of places to sit!

I had a hot stone massage on my first cruise in 2004. I'm pretty sure it was over $150, so $195 in 10 years is not too bad. I loved it, so relaxing, but, while I love the end result, I realize I tense up too much to actually enjoy the massage!