Pre Ordering beverage package out of Galveston

I tried a search figuring this would be a common question but the only post I saw was one where the people were charged twice so here goes my question....

So this post is geared towards seasoned Galveston departure cruisers....

I wanted to prepurchase my drink package before my cruise out of Galveston next month but when you add it to the cart it shows a price for 7 days (Galveston is "special" due to Texas having our funky liquor laws and therefore I need the website to show a 6 day price). I don't want to have to be haggling on the ship to get my 50.00 credited back.

Any one else run into this and have a solution?

It seems like the computer software would be smart enough to realize it is a Galveston departure and charge accordingly. :confused:

Edited by islandchicklet

It is a 7 day BUT cruising out of Galveston you cannot consume alcohol using the packages the first day of sailing. The cruise is required to use Texas alcohol for lack of a better or longer explanation.

The restriction on using Texas alcohol only lasts until the ship is out of Texas waters. This is probably an hour or so after leaving the dock.

If you want to skip the first day, you would have to purchase on board.

Whew! Thanks. I was scared for a minute. :) this is my obviously first time sailing from Galveston. What exactly does that mean...Texas stamped booze? Can we get drinks on the ship? Or do I need to bring something?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whew! Thanks. I was scared for a minute. :) this is my obviously first time sailing from Galveston. What exactly does that mean...Texas stamped booze? Can we get drinks on the ship? Or do I need to bring something?

The ship is required to serve alcohol purchased in Texas while in Texas waters. There is a Texas stamp on the alcohol containers that have been purchased in Texas.

One time we were delayed leaving Galveston, and they ran out of Texas purchased beer. :eek: Many unhappy campers that day.

The restriction on using Texas alcohol only lasts until the ship is out of Texas waters. This is probably an hour or so after leaving the dock.

If you want to skip the first day, you would have to purchase on board.

Do you know this from experience?

I guess it could be different on Royal but on Carnival the packages are not available until Monday morning on a 7 day Sun-Sun sailing. Carnival doesn't sell the packages online so it isn't an issue and my other Royal sailings have been from departure ports other than Texas.

I guess it could be different on Royal but on Carnival the packages are not available until Monday morning on a 7 day Sun-Sun sailing. Carnival doesn't sell the packages online so it isn't an issue and my other Royal sailings have been from departure ports other than Texas.

Yes, I was on Navigator this past September.

However, why don't you wait until you board the ship to purchase? That way you will know for sure, in case there's been a change in policy.

Edited by clarea

Yes, I was on Navigator this past September.

However, why don't you wait until you board the ship to purchase? That way you will know for sure, in case there's been a change in policy.

Ok thanks, but so I am clear, what I am asking is were you able to use your package on the Sunday of departure?

I was on Navigator out of Galveston on the 2014 Thanksgiving sailing.

I bought the package on the first day while still in port and was able to get drinks immediately.

Just to reiterate, there is simply a limited selection available until out of TX waters.

Ok thanks, but so I am clear, what I am asking is were you able to use your package on the Sunday of departure?

I did not have a package, but some friends had a package and were using it on the Sunday of departure.

I was on Navigator out of Galveston on the 2014 Thanksgiving sailing.

I bought the package on the first day while still in port and was able to get drinks immediately.

Just to reiterate, there is simply a limited selection available until out of TX waters.

Thanks niksmom630 and ewenix

this is carnivals policy...

"Due to Texas State laws, CHEERS! will not be offered until the second day of the cruise for voyages departing from our Texas home ports. In this case, please know the daily rate will be based on the full cruise duration price but only charged from day 2 forward. Guests may purchase drinks in the usual manner."

But it's good to know I can use the package on Sunday. Just didn't want to pay for Sunday and then still have to buy drinks individually at the same time.

Sailed on the Navigator last March. We purchased the package online. As previously stated, you can use the package from the moment you board. The only issues are that there's a limited selection of liquor and beer you can purchase while in Texas waters and only certain bars will be open. It made for long lines at the Pool Bar on Deck 11 during sail away, but it worked. You should have no issues. The policy that the OP previously stated applies to Carnival only.

Well that is good to know. I just assumed there was one so I wasn't planning on bringing insulated cups. Hmmm, what to do, what to?

You would still get the insulated cup with the soda package, you just would not have the 100+ choices of the Freestyle machine.