Tipping

Wyuna1

We are about to cruise for the first time on a non Australian cruise ship and are a little concerned about the correct etiquette of tipping. On Australian based ships tipping is not expected as it is included in the fare. We have pre paid our gratuities but are unsure as to what we should do as far as what is correct, expected, sensible or perhaps recommended to secure that little extra service to make our cruise even more memorable. Tipping is not a part of our culture so can anyone help this inexperienced Aussie in relation to appropriate amounts and to whom, concierge, bar staff etc?

Almost all cruises include tips in your payments. Some will add more while they sit at the bar every night for better drinks and service, others in the restaurant for better seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a fellow Australian I love pre-paid gratuities as it means that you can forget about it from there on in. If you have great service in a specialty restaurant or in the spa or whereever then you can throw in a little more. Some people say to pay the bar staff but there is already a gratuity applied there.

If you have prepaid your gratuities, that takes care of the wait team and your cabin steward. The bar adds 15% to your bill. The specialty restaurant cover charge includes the tip. So, you are all set there - no additional tip is needed.

If you order room service, you might want to give the delivery person a dollar or two. You also might want to give the porter who handles your luggage a tip (a dollar or two per bag). You also might wish to tip the tour guide if you take an excursion.

Edited by DonnaK

If you have prepaid your gratuities, that takes care of the wait team and your cabin steward. The bar adds 15% to your bill. The specialty restaurant cover charge includes the tip. So, you are all set there - no additional tip is needed.

If you order room service, you might want to give the delivery person a dollar or two. You also might want to give the porter who handles your luggage a tip (a dollar or two per bag). You also might wish to tip the tour guide if you take an excursion.

Thank you for mentioning the tour guide. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are done with tipping if you've pre-paid....no worries! Those tips cover your cabin attendant, and wait staff for all included dining venues. If you go to a specialty restaurant, the fee you pay includes the tip.

Any drink you purchase will have the tip added to the price....no worries there!

If you use room service, tip $1-5, depending on how much the kitchen staff has to carry. Just have it ready when you open the door....they're pretty fast!

Your prepaid gratuities cover your room steward and all dining staff - regardless of where you eat.

If you use room service you should tip $1-$5 depending on the size of the order.

All drinks have an automatic 15% tip added. Some people will leave an extra $1-2 if they really like the bartender and use a specific bar/bartender frequently; nice, but you don't have to.

If you have a suite and use the concierge a lot of people tip the concierge - really depends how much work they do for you. It is customary to tip the bartenders in the concierge lounge when receiving free drinks during the cocktail hour. Again, your choice - some people tip nightly; some at the end of the cruise.

In the U.S. it is also customary to tip baggage handlers, $1-2 per bag. We have also tipped tour guides if on an excursion - often find a container as you get off the bus to drop a few dollars in (again not mandatory; but appreciated). U.S. dollars are fine for tips in the Caribbean.

Even though we pre-pay our gratuities, we always tip our cabin steward a little extra at the end of the cruise. We have always had exemplary cabin stewards that go out of their way to make us happy and assist with anything we might need.

Another person we tip at the end of the cruise is the bartender. We pick a bar and always get our drinks from the same person. After a few days he recognizes us and goes over and beyond what is required to give us great drinks/service!

On our last cruise, there were 7 of us and we ate the in Windjammer every night. One of the attendants for that cruise always had two tables put together with water and silverware/napkins ready for us (we ate at 7:00 every evening). Of course, she got a nice extra tip at the end of our cruise.

As I have already said, even though we pre-pay gratuities, we feel it's always nice to recognize those people who go out of their way to make our vacation extra special!

Good advice. :)

Edited by jjb415

We are about to cruise for the first time on a non Australian cruise ship and are a little concerned about the correct etiquette of tipping. On Australian based ships tipping is not expected as it is included in the fare. We have pre paid our gratuities but are unsure as to what we should do as far as what is correct, expected, sensible or perhaps recommended to secure that little extra service to make our cruise even more memorable. Tipping is not a part of our culture so can anyone help this inexperienced Aussie in relation to appropriate amounts and to whom, concierge, bar staff etc?

since you have prepapid quite honestly you are under NO obligation to pay any extra save for room service.

any additional you choose will be based on the extraordinary service you receive

On our last Radiance cruise I usually gave the CL barman US$2 per drink and the Concierge US$10 when he solved an issue for me. I did notice by night 3 that as soon as I walked in and sat down a large scotch was placed in front of me without a word being spoken. :)

Thank you all for your help just one more question, how much would be appropriate for the Barstaff and Concierge in the CL?

Many people tip $1 or $2 per "free" drink - others tip at the end of the week - $20-$30 is pretty common. Hard to say about the concierge - really depends how much they do for you. If they just say hello each evening I personally don't think that warrants a tip; however, if they make lots of reservations, etc. then I would tip.