Quick Beverage Package Question

marciemi

Does the Ultimate Beverage Package (Epic) include drinks like Pina Coladas or Strawberry Daiquiris? Trying to figure out if getting that free or the free upgraded meal plan is a better bonus. Not big drinkers but would probably drink at least a couple glasses of wine a day and enjoy "fun" drinks like that. The lists I see just say "spirits" and I don't know if this counts. Thanks!

To compare value, look at it this way: Regardless of how much you drink usually, if you were purchase the Ultimate Beverage Package for two, it normally will cost you $54 per person per day, plus 15% gratuity added in. (In advance - on the ship is more expensive)

So for a 7 night cruise, if you selected the UBP the two of you would be getting a package worth roughly $870 for free...

For the UDP ... that would be significantly less... at $119 per person or a total of $238

One approach might be to take the UBP for drinks, and pay for the UDP and you'd still be ahead by 600 dollars...

Thanks all - Cliff, that's exactly how I was looking at it. If we want to do a couple specialty restaurants (maybe 2 during the 7 days?), we'd pay around $100 total for that. But if I get even two glasses of wine a day and one "fluffy" drink, that would also be around $25 a day. I saw the $60 price tag per day on the drink package and was wondering if I was missing something. Think we'll go for the drinks!

Just off the Dawn this morning and I can absolutely confirm what everyone else has already said with a couple of caveats...

1. Sailing out of NoLo (and I suspect other ports will catch on if they haven't already), you will be charged state tax on your drinks on the first evening and maybe on the last night as well. We actually had one drinks charge from last night in Cagney's that was charged in full, but I wasn't about to get in the line to contest a $12 charge!

2. Most spirits are covered and a lot of top drawer liquors too! I was drinking thinks like Gentleman Jack and cocktails were made with Patron Silver, Gray Goose, Bacardi Black and more, all included in the package.

Sailing out of Miami on the Epic I noticed a tax for Miami also. It doesn't count against the 10.00 drink limit for the UBP.

I had a few where the total on the receipt was 10.40-10.50 wth the gratuity and Miami tax added in. And there was no extra charge to my bill.

I was wondering how port taxes/VAT will affect UBP in Europe- we will be on the Spirit out of Venice, through to Barcelona with stops outside the EU in Turkey. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Port taxes may affect you if you buy the package when in Venice, in which case you may get charged the tax on top of the cost of the package. This could obviously be a significant amount. It does seem fairly random depending on the port and when the transaction is entered whether you get charged. I don't have any specific knowledge of Venice.

If you are getting the UBP as part of a deal then this won't apply. I also believe it doesn't apply if you purchase before leaving.

As you are leaving the EU then there should be no tax charge once you leave port, so if you waited until after you had sailed before purchasing then you should be safe.

As for tax being charged on the individual drinks when in port, I had never heard of that happening before (although the post earlier in this thread suggests that it is possible). I've certainly never heard of it in Europe, so I'd say that you are safe there.

The literature states that Louisiana tax of 9% will be charged on all purchases made while we are within their jurisdiction, so I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if other states/countries catch on.

Actually, it may be Louisiana that needs to catch on.

What happens in some ports is that if the UBP is purchased before sailing (or whilst in home waters) then they charge Tax on the whole value of the UBP, which can equate to over $50. If Louisiana are just charging tax on those drinks consumed then they are behind some other places.

Not really. I got the UBP for free so there was no tax to pay on the package at all! However, because the drinks are charged, not zeroed (as with the dining package), they are getting their pound of flesh!

Maybe they have to do it that way if the UBP is free then. That would make sense I suppose.

Does the Ultimate Beverage Package (Epic) include drinks like Pina Coladas or Strawberry Daiquiris? Trying to figure out if getting that free or the free upgraded meal plan is a better bonus. Not big drinkers but would probably drink at least a couple glasses of wine a day and enjoy "fun" drinks like that. The lists I see just say "spirits" and I don't know if this counts. Thanks!

If you are not big drinkers don't get the UBP. 1-2 drinks per day will cost you $20. The package is $54 per person per day. Are you really going to have 5 drinks per day each on port days? If not, this is not the plan for you.

DH & I like our vacation cocktails. We didn't get the package because we prefer good bottles of wine with dinner that are not included. Even with those more expensive bottles our bar bill was only about $50 more than the package & about $300 of that was wine.

The OP was talking about whether to get it as their free option. In that case, the actual cost of the package is irrelevant. It is worth them getting as long as they would spend more on drinks than on the other option. The dining plan may have a very limited value to them (it certainly does to me for example).

The OP was talking about whether to get it as their free option. In that case, the actual cost of the package is irrelevant. It is worth them getting as long as they would spend more on drinks than on the other option. The dining plan may have a very limited value to them (it certainly does to me for example).

Understood but if you aren't a big drinker, the option to have more dining choices seems to have more value. By the same thing to save $20 per day or $140 for the cruise & be happy to eat in the free venues also has some appeal. You have to know your own habits to make this decision. Input from a message board isn't as helpful because it's so personal

We ended up taking the UBP and paying for the UDP out of pocket. We're not huge drinkers but really excited to have the chance to try all the drinks we normally pass on due to the cost. Yes, it'll probably end up being 2 glasses of wine each night with dinner (and I'm fine with whatever house white zin/rose they have) and 2-3 fun (ice cream based, pina coladas, etc.) drinks during the day but that would still cost well over the $17 a day for the UDP. I appreciate the input - just wanted to make sure I wasn't understanding it wrong.

We ended up taking the UBP and paying for the UDP out of pocket. We're not huge drinkers but really excited to have the chance to try all the drinks we normally pass on due to the cost. Yes, it'll probably end up being 2 glasses of wine each night with dinner (and I'm fine with whatever house white zin/rose they have) and 2-3 fun (ice cream based, pina coladas, etc.) drinks during the day but that would still cost well over the $17 a day for the UDP. I appreciate the input - just wanted to make sure I wasn't understanding it wrong.

Under the circumstances I agree with your choice, for what it's worth. For me it depends on the cruise I think. I paid for the plan on my recent Epic cruise because it was more of a party type cruise to me. On the other hand, on my upcoming Alaska cruise I will probably pass on the plan because that cruise is very port intensive. By the way, when you finish your dinner, try out having a cup of Irish coffee with your desert. That's included too! :D