5 dinner specialty dinning package inquiry

crazytomatoes

My family and I will be sailing on the Celebrity Infinity to Alaska July 5-12. Our group consists of my husband and I and our two adult kids ages 18 and 21. This is not our first Alaskan Cruise and we wondered about booking the 5 dinner specialty dinning package to change things up a bit. We have had great main dinning room experiences but thought it might me fun to experience the specialty restaurants as we have never done so. I have done some searching and I am confused as to how this 5 dinner package would look like. I understand that you may only book a time for the first reservation but I am unclear which night this occurs and which restaurant this would be. Also, how many times you would be at each restaurant. Is a 5 dinner package too many for this ship? Would a 3 dinner package make more sense? We will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary on board and would like to be in a specialty restaurant for that night which is July 11. Do we get to pick the nights we get to go to these restaurants? Finally, we like to dress up and would prefer to be in the main dinning room for formal nights as I understand that dress code is business casual for all nights, will these nights be the same as our last cruise on Celebrity Century?

Thanks

Char

Thanks for posting these questions the details of the 3 and 5 night specialty dining packages seem unclear to me as well.

The best I can tell from the X website is that you pick the time for the first night of the cruise and they pick the restaurant, and then after you are on the ship, you make the rest of your reservations.

What is unclear to me is whether there are any limitations on which restaurants you select for the remaining reservations (i.e. Can you select the same restaurant more than once for the three night - or more than twice for the 5 night) and once on board can you move your first night reservation to another night if you want to, or does everyone who booked a multi-night specialty dining package have to dine in a specialty restaurant on night 1?

The best I can tell from the X website is that you pick the time for the first night of the cruise and they pick the restaurant, and then after you are on the ship, you make the rest of your reservations.

What is unclear to me is whether there are any limitations on which restaurants you select for the remaining reservations (i.e. Can you select the same restaurant more than once for the three night - or more than twice for the 5 night) and once on board can you move your first night reservation to another night if you want to, or does everyone who booked a multi-night specialty dining package have to dine in a specialty restaurant on night 1?

A 3-restaurant pkg gives you 1 night only at the 3 restaurants listed in pkg. No switching on ship due to you received the advertised discount on restaurants having different prices. Otherwise one could pay discount price and switch to 3 x at most expensive restaurant.

Same limits on 5-night pkg - it specifies how many, which restaurants - no changes.

Try the 3 night, get the discount, find the ones you like, mention to mgr that you'd be inclined to return if it was a little less expensive for 2d visit.

Please know there MAY be 1-2 specialty lunches during cruise that are half price of dinner - best deal, usually on a sea day. Ask on boarding what/when the lunches are offered.

Good Luck

The Infinity has two specialty restaurants, the SS United States and Qsine. The 3 dinner pkg includes 2 in SS United States and one in Qsine. The 5 dinner pkg includes 3 in SS United States and 2 in Qsine. I've read many posts from people who have tried to change the restaurants in the pkg, but have not been able to. You can find more information about the packages on the Celebrity website.

You book the first restaurant either the 1st or 2nd night of the cruise and the rest when you are onboard. You do take a risk getting reservations for the days and times you want, priority goes to those who pay full price prior to boarding and it just depends how well the restaurants sell in advance.

I booked my first 5 night pkg on my Equinox cruise last November and made reservations for the remaining nights as soon as I got onboard and did fine, so I booked again for my September Equinox cruise.

I should add I took my two adult "kids" to Alaska 2 years ago on Millenium who were about the same age as you at the time and they loved Qsine, we ate there on both formal nights. They looked at the menu for the Olympic restaurant (same as SS United States) prior to the cruise and didn't have an interest in eating there. Just to formal for them.

Try the 3 night, get the discount, find the ones you like, mention to mgr that you'd be inclined to return if it was a little less expensive for 2d visit.

Please know there MAY be 1-2 specialty lunches during cruise that are half price of dinner - best deal, usually on a sea day. Ask on boarding what/when the lunches are offered.

Good Luck

Thanks GreyDog! I appreciate the advice. I think I will stick with the 5 night. The way I look at it, we get two more dinners for $34 - or $17 each, and we are not likely to use specialty dining for lunch since I don't like to eat 2 large meals in one day.

We've sailed on the Infinity, and I would not buy a 5-dinner pkg for that ship, particularly for a cruise that is only a week long. We had a fabulous meal at SS United States (impeccable service and terrific food), but it's "fine dining" and not sure how many times one would want to eat there in the course of a week. We ate at Qsine as well, and while the food is good (dishes are hit or miss, some terrific, some not), and the "shtick" can be fun (especially the first time), again, to me, it's not a place to eat more than once on a cruise. In fact, having dined there on all three Celebrity ships on which we've sailed, I'd say we've probably had enough of the Qsine shtick.

YMMV.

Have a great cruise!