Fitbit on board?

CCC3

Can anyone answer this? Our family wears/uses Fitbits. If we wear them onboard, we will obviously not be able to sync daily as we have no plans to buy the overpriced internet packages available. BUT...if we wear them and when we disembark in ports (and find that free internet wifi) will our bracelets sync several days at a time? We leave on a Sunday (wifi before we go), are at sea Monday (no sync), in ports on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (hopefully able to sync) at sea Friday/Saturday (no sync) and back on Sunday (wifi). Are they able to store that much info between syncing? We are sure to do tons of walking, so we are hoping to monitor those steps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone answer this? Our family wears/uses Fitbits. If we wear them onboard, we will obviously not be able to sync daily as we have no plans to buy the overpriced internet packages available. BUT...if we wear them and when we disembark in ports (and find that free internet wifi) will our bracelets sync several days at a time? We leave on a Sunday (wifi before we go), are at sea Monday (no sync), in ports on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (hopefully able to sync) at sea Friday/Saturday (no sync) and back on Sunday (wifi). Are they able to store that much info between syncing? We are sure to do tons of walking, so we are hoping to monitor those steps!

All Fitbit devices store user info for 7 days, so you should be fine until you're able to get data service on disembarkation day. Of course, if you find a free wifi hotspot in port (if you're on a Carrib route, the Tortuga Rum stores usually have free wifi), you'll be able to sync mid-week; just put your phone in airplane mode (to avoid jumping on a local mobile network), then manually switch on your phone's wifi radio.

Yes, in fact I hardly ever sync on the computer. Our plan was to put the phones into airplane modes until we found that free wifi, turn the phones on, sync, email, etc, and put them back on airplane mode until the next location.

I didn't know they would store for 7 days. That's so helpful...thank you!

Bluetooth can be turned on while in airplane mode usually as BCguy100 said. If you want to coordinate your group I am guessing you would need the wifi to upload the info to the website.

Flex and Charge have the same details in their specs - "We recommend syncing your data regularly. As long as Flex has battery power, it tracks the most recent seven days of detailed, minute-by-minute data. It also tracks your daily total for the past 30 days and summarizes your daily calories, distance, and steps taken."

Edited by goodycruising

Bluetooth can be turned on while in airplane mode usually as BCguy100 said. If you want to coordinate your group I am guessing you would need the wifi to upload the info to the website.

Flex and Charge have the same details in their specs - "We recommend syncing your data regularly. As long as Flex has battery power, it tracks the most recent seven days of detailed, minute-by-minute data. It also tracks your daily total for the past 30 days and summarizes your daily calories, distance, and steps taken."

In my experience with my Fitbit One (which met an unfortunate end in the Atlantis Aquaventure Rapids River last month), yes, you can turn Bluetooth on in airplane mode, but the Fitbit app (at least, the iOS version) would throw errors at me if it couldn't call out to Fitbit's server over an Internet connection.

Likewise, if the goal is to compare stats on a day-to-day basis, the best (only, really, short of writing down everyone's stats before the clock strikes midnight) method is going to be to sync to Fitbit's servers.

Edited by m-dfromjersey

I am so glad that you asked this very question. I have a Fitbit and was wondering the same thing. I suggested to my husband that we add international data to my cell phone so I could sync my Fitbit, but for some reason he wasn't keen on that. (He doesn't understand my Fitbit devotion.) I am glad that all of those steps on my upcoming cruise won't be "wasted". "Wasted" steps are tragic. (And just in case anyone out there is feeling feisty, I use the word "tragic" in an ironic, self-deprecating manner.) :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just got a Fitbit for Christmas, so I was really green about using it over our New Year's cruise and the cruise after. Mine did NOT sync when we got to a place with wifi. Only the current day did. I was surprised at how many steps I walked on a cruise, however, on the days that it did sync. Just having Bluetooth on in airplane mode didn't work for me.

Had no idea what Fibit is, now I do.

Have exercised all my life, now at 60. Run a few miles a few times a week and bike an old fashionen bike just as I did 50 years ago.

What will I gain by going high tech?

It allows you to monitor how active you are! 10,000 steps a day is a good recommendation for an active lifestyle. I'm a teacher, and normally average 6500-8000 steps a day. By making up the difference at home...I meet my goal...and have managed to lose 33.5 lbs (I also monitor my calories on a free site that will sync to my Fitbit!). My hubby got his Fitbit for Christmas, and by monitoring his calories & going for that 10,000 steps, has lost 15 lbs since Dec 26!

There is a free Fitbit phone app for smartphones you can "try before you buy." I have a friend who has done this about 3 weeks, and has decided he needs to buy! Since he had a smartphone already and the app is free, he had nothing to lose but the 12 lbs he's lost!

Edited by CCC3

I am so glad that you asked this very question. I have a Fitbit and was wondering the same thing. I suggested to my husband that we add international data to my cell phone so I could sync my Fitbit, but for some reason he wasn't keen on that. (He doesn't understand my Fitbit devotion.) I am glad that all of those steps on my upcoming cruise won't be "wasted". "Wasted" steps are tragic. (And just in case anyone out there is feeling feisty, I use the word "tragic" in an ironic, self-deprecating manner.) :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh my gosh yes...I too worried about all those "wasted" steps! If I have to walk...THEY BETTER COUNT!! LOL

And I don't know about your data plan...but a week in Canada, and a week in Jamaica were a little pricy! We plan to quest & find that free wifi we hear spoken of..."the internet Shangri-la"

Edited by CCC3

It allows you to monitor how active you are! 10,000 steps a day is a good recommendation for an active lifestyle. I'm a teacher, and normally average 6500-8000 steps a day. By making up the difference at home...I meet my goal...and have managed to lose 33.5 lbs (I also monitor my calories on a free site that will sync to my Fitbit!). My hubby got his Fitbit for Christmas, and by monitoring his calories & going for that 10,000 steps, has lost 15 lbs since Dec 26!

There is a free Fitbit phone app for smartphones you can "try before you buy." I have a friend who has done this about 3 weeks, and has decided he needs to buy! Since he had a smartphone already and the app is free, he had nothing to lose but the 12 lbs he's lost!

Gratulations on loosing so much. Assume you also changed your eating habits.

My one caveat would be that in my experience, FitBit doesn't handle time changes well. It tended to sync, but do so by matching the device to the website (instead of matching the website to the device). Since the website was at zero...

Anyway, just a warning that it may be a good idea to take note of how many steps you have before you sync, just in case you need to do a manual update afterwards.

I keep time zone updates off for this very reason. I'll let it sync to the embark port time zone, but turn off time zone updates after that. I had an issue at a tech conference once where the onsite wifi was giving a different timezone than the local cel towers, and it drove my Fitbit nuts.

FYI the official FAQ on how long data is stored: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Do-I-need-to-sync-my-data-from-my-Fitbit-tracker-every-day

We should start a CruiseCritic Fitbit group. I use cruise ships to go for new floor badges (260 on Explorer of the Seas last month, intentionally!), which is all they are good for (unless you never go to Disney World or tech conferences, which is where I set my step and mileage records).

My one caveat would be that in my experience, FitBit doesn't handle time changes well. It tended to sync, but do so by matching the device to the website (instead of matching the website to the device). Since the website was at zero...

Anyway, just a warning that it may be a good idea to take note of how many steps you have before you sync, just in case you need to do a manual update afterwards.

Edited by JasonV1

What is the name of the app? I'm considering a Fitbit and would like to try this before purchasing

DH & I also use the Fitbit. Since I don't care for things around my wrist I use the Fitbit Zip, which attaches to my bra or waistband. We plan to buy the internet package onboard since DH has to stay connected to his business.

If we buy the single device package (on the Oasis) and use his computer instead of the phone would that work for both of us? Can we sync daily? Or can we use the phone if we are only on one device at a time? I am not tech savvy at all, and this really has me confused.:confused: Maybe DH can get this all figured out, but I don't want a huge phone bill when we get home, either!:eek:

BTW, I have lost 54 pounds since August using the My Fitness Pal app and the Fitbit. I am not dieting. I am retraining!:D

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Hi CCC3,

Which Fitbit do you have? I have the Charge model and what is interesting is that it recorded steps and stairs when I was sleeping. Also will record steps even if you do not go up any.

Wendy

i have a Fitbit One, you plug it in to charge it up about every 5/7 days. It does record my sleep pattern and if I'm restless it tells you that when you log in. Found it a bit scary at first but as its near me in my sleep it must pick up the movement or some sort of vib or wave every time I turn over. Big Brother IS Watching you hahahahaa

I didn't have an issue with this when I cruised on FOS with my wife last year, since RCCL maintains 'ship's time' as the time at your departure port. So even when we hit Cozumel, even though we were in the Central Time Zone in reality, the ship - and my Fitbit - were still in the Eastern Time Zone.

That being said, yes, Fitbit devices won't automatically pick up time zone changes without a hard sync to the phone app. That always annoys me when I go out to CA on business - I'll go to check my step count at 9pm only to see it essentially zeroed out.