Private guide in Istanbul.

Hi, although I know we can do our cruise stop dyi in Istanbul, I would prefer to have a private guide. Looking for a guide that will meet us at the port and take us to the main tourist places. Does anyone have a recommendation?

We've used a company, allaboutturkey.com three times and have been very impressed with our tours. It was just the two of us with a guide and with our frequent emails before we arrived, our excursions couldn't have been better. One highlight was taking the cable car up to Pierre Lote cafe for coffee and a view of the Golden Horn. The Eyup mosque and cemetery was spectacular. Of course, the Hagia Sophia and the Basilica cisterns were incredible too. The organizer, Burak Sansel, will give you a list of suggestions and a time frame to get you started. There are many exciting places to see, and a week wouldn't be enough time! Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

We hired a great local tour guide for the two of us in Istanbul.

His name is Cihan Sevil and his email is chnsvl@gmail.com

He guided us through the hippodrome and square, Hagia Sophia, lunch at a cafe near the Church of the Chora and then a one hour tour of the church . We wanted a Byzantine historical tour. The day before we did one on Ottoman historical sights. It was a all day tour. He also was very open about the current political situation in Turkey.

Cihan is in his late 20's , college educated, with vast knowedge of Turkish and early Christian history of Istanbul.

I continue to recieve Holiday greetings from him in December.

Edited by Azulann

Lale Kosagan, unbelievable. She is not inexpensive but so knowledgable about everything and will give her personal insight to what is happening in Turkey. I believe she and her husband were consulted by Rick Steves when he was researching his book on Turkey.

Many good guides in Istanbul, just check Trip Advisor. I used several of them and also keep in touch with all of them. After a day of touring either alone or in a small group, I felt like they had become friends. This is one of the main advantages of hiring a guide rather than DIY with a guidebook or audio where IMO you will never get as complete or enriching an experience if you have not visited the city before.

Hi, although I know we can do our cruise stop dyi in Istanbul, I would prefer to have a private guide. Looking for a guide that will meet us at the port and take us to the main tourist places. Does anyone have a recommendation?

We always use EKOL . Great service, and they do exactly what you are asking.

• 2 weeks later...
Lale Kosagan, unbelievable. She is not inexpensive but so knowledgable about everything and will give her personal insight to what is happening in Turkey. I believe she and her husband were consulted by Rick Steves when he was researching his book on Turkey.

Many good guides in Istanbul, just check Trip Advisor. I used several of them and also keep in touch with all of them. After a day of touring either alone or in a small group, I felt like they had become friends. This is one of the main advantages of hiring a guide rather than DIY with a guidebook or audio where IMO you will never get as complete or enriching an experience if you have not visited the city before.

I found private tour guides for Beijing and Shanghai on tripadvisor.com and was very happy both times.