Valor/San Juan Embarkation Question

jtwitch

Leaving on the Valor from San Juan on Sunday, March 1st. We are spending Saturday night in a hotel. Published check-in time is 2:30-8:30 for a 10pm sailing.

I've read quite a few threads, but apparently not the right ones...

I think I know:

1) I can drop my bags with the porter early (1pm?) and enjoy OSJ before checking in.

2) I can check in at 2:30 (sometimes earlier) and enjoy the ship.

What I don't know:

Can I check in, grab some fish-and-chips, and then get off the ship and explore OSJ until supper time? Or do I have to stay on the ship once I've checked in?

While i have never done it, I have spoken with people who have checked in to drop stuff off, get some food and then go back off the ship for a while. I will leaving from PR in August and will probably give this a try.

We dropped off our luggage around noon and were on the ship by 12:30. Lots of people dropped off even earlier. Once you are checked in and have your sign and sail card you can come and go from the Valor until about 8:00 pm.

Leaving on the Valor from San Juan on Sunday, March 1st. We are spending Saturday night in a hotel. Published check-in time is 2:30-8:30 for a 10pm sailing.

I've read quite a few threads, but apparently not the right ones...

I think I know:

1) I can drop my bags with the porter early (1pm?) and enjoy OSJ before checking in.

2) I can check in at 2:30 (sometimes earlier) and enjoy the ship.

What I don't know:

Can I check in, grab some fish-and-chips, and then get off the ship and explore OSJ until supper time? Or do I have to stay on the ship once I've checked in?

We did the same thing for our Valor cruise out of San Juan a couple years go by flying in a day early and getting a hotel. Our hotel check-out the next day (day of the cruise) was noon, so we got a cab and were at the ship around 12:20, dropped our bags off and checked in for boarding Valor. Cabins won't be ready till 1:30PM, so we went right up to Lido Deck 9 after check-in for a drink of the day (had those in our hands at 12:40PM), grabbed a bite to eat and wandered the ship a little until cabins were ready at 1:30 so we could drop off our carry-ons before getting back off and enjoying San Juan since we didn't want to be hauling that around with us.

We are on the same sailing....we fly in early afternoon Saturday staying at a sheraton (not the one at the port :( ) and I'm thinking of hitting the beach early then wandering over to the ship mid afternoon...has anyone scooped out the beaches in San Juan?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the same sailing....we fly in early afternoon Saturday staying at a sheraton (not the one at the port :( ) and I'm thinking of hitting the beach early then wandering over to the ship mid afternoon...has anyone scooped out the beaches in San Juan?

We stayed at a hotel in Isla Verde, right near the airport (about 20 minutes from port), one night pre-cruise and spent that whole afternoon and part of the next morning on the beach. Loved it. I've heard nice things about the the beaches in the Condado (closer to port) area as well, but have never been there.

• 2 weeks later...

We Cruised on the Valor in December and the straight and simple answer to all your questions is YES.

You need to get back on by 8:30pm and that's it. I would suggest that you get on early as the lines can get quite long in the late afternoon.

Have a great cruise.

Yes... You can drop your major luggage with the porters, get on board, eat lunch, drop carry-ons in the room once it is ready, then bounce out to San Juan to explore. I think everyone needs to be back on board around 8:30ish for muster and then sailaway is at 10.

To answer the question about the beaches... We stayed in Condado last year and enjoyed the beach there. There is a large park, amazing shopping, ice cream, restaurants (mofongo or trifongo..YUM). On Sunday morning/early afternoon there was a really good "festival" with tons of local vendors, including one that was roasting a pig and selling the meat.

Being from Puerto Rico has it's perks! We got to Old San Juan around 3pm parked our car right in front of the ship (yellow line...I know, I know but got no ticket!!) dropped our bags, spent about 40 minutes to check in, got on board, to the room, dropped our carry-on stuff. Went back to the car, went home (I live about 25 mins. away), fed the dogs one last time (relatives would be dog-sitting, don't worry), made a few last errands, came back to OSJ parked the car at the multi level lot near port (rented space, ex wife works in OSJ), crossed the street and back on the ship only to come back down again to CVS for some snacks for the trip and back for the final time. All before 6pm!!! So yes, as long as you're back on by 8pm, you can come and go as you please.

Ok another twist. We have FTTF. Would like to drop off our luggage early, go to cvs for some coke and water and then come back and check in and board. Can't remember where to drop off luggage. Is it outside or inside the main entrance to the terminal?

Ok another twist. We have FTTF. Would like to drop off our luggage early, go to cvs for some coke and water and then come back and check in and board. Can't remember where to drop off luggage. Is it outside or inside the main entrance to the terminal?

We dropped ours off with the porters outside in front of the terminal. I don't remember seeing anyone inside with more than a carryon.

You drop off luggage right outside in the main circle drive. So yes, you can drop off luggage and then walk across street to CVS and come back to check in. You have until 8:30 pm to be back on board. With FTTF your cabin will be ready for you right away to come in and drop off water, soda etc. Have fun....we were on the Valor 2 weeks ago!!

That should put you at the Sheraton at the Convention Centre which has an amazing infinity pool, hot tubs, patio deck with heaps of lounge chairs, and an area where you can get food and drinks. It was fantastic!

The beaches at Carolina (another hotel district) were really nice. We went to the beach Sunday morning and walked, waded in the water and drew in the sand. It wasn't very busy as we were there between 1030 and 1130.

Enjoy!

You can drop your bags off with the porter. They want a tip of $1/bag. The ship doesn't allow you to board until noon, though you can go through the line and get your Sail and Sign cards before then. The cabins were ready pretty quick. Our ship departed at 10:00 PM, and that got delayed due to the SuperBowl. You had plenty of time to walk around OSJ. There's a couple of nice forts within walking distance and plenty of shops as well.

• 1 month later...

May I add too, that you are allowed a case of water per person, so by all means, after you get checked in, leave the ship and go across the street to CVS and pick up some water. I think you are also allowed soft drinks, but since we didn't purchase any, I can't tell you if it it a 6 pack or a 12 pack. We got on the ship, went up to the Lido deck and ate, explored a bit and about 4 or 5 o'clock went to get our water. Have a wonderful cruise!

May I add too, that you are allowed a case of water per person, so by all means, after you get checked in, leave the ship and go across the street to CVS and pick up some water. I think you are also allowed soft drinks, but since we didn't purchase any, I can't tell you if it it a 6 pack or a 12 pack. We got on the ship, went up to the Lido deck and ate, explored a bit and about 4 or 5 o'clock went to get our water. Have a wonderful cruise!

Poster sailed March 1st

Leaving on the Valor from San Juan on Sunday, March 1st.