Bringing food onboard?

Valor2005

If i remember correctly they need to be carried on and in a factory sealed container.

I don't think I've seen that anywhere and I've never had any trouble bringing ziploc bags of nuts and beef jerky on in my checked or carry on bags.

Silly I know, when there is so much food for free on the ship. But we have very specific snacking habits so we always bring our own snacks. :rolleyes:

What about homemade cakes for birthday or other celebrations. Would like to bring on a German Chocolate Cake to eat on the second day for a birthday. I know you can buy cakes there but it's a tradition. Would I be able to get it on board and still be able to get pics of it with candles and such?

What about homemade cakes for birthday or other celebrations. Would like to bring on a German Chocolate Cake to eat on the second day for a birthday. I know you can buy cakes there but it's a tradition. Would I be able to get it on board and still be able to get pics of it with candles and such?

I dont know if this would be allowed. Or if its different for weddings. We were not allowed to have our own cake for the wedding.

remember too- that unless you have FTTF you will have to cart that cake with you until 1:30

they do sell slabs of german choc cake at the cafe for 2.50 a slice

Serene,

Sorry if I gave the wrong cake info. That never occurred to me. I wonder if it was the cake itself, or the fact that it was a wedding cake which is much more expensive than an ordinary birthday cake?

To the person who asked about the German chocolate cake, be aware that you can't light the candles, and the candles themselves may be confiscated. Potential fire hazard.

Roz

I take my own RITZ CRACKERS & have been these last few cruises.

In the evening we often just want cheese & tuna salad with some tomato slices for dinner.

I just don't like soda crackers plus their are stale. Have never had anyone question it. I have a four bottle wine carrier that I put them in with the two bottles of wine.

As we are sitting there enjoying our dinner have had so many people where we got the Ritz. Did give a little fellow a nice hand full once he was so cute & it was the last night so I wouldn't miss them. :D

Char

Technically, all food brought onboard must be in factory sealed packaging to meet USPH regulations. USPH requires that all food brought onboard be from verifiable sources, so your baggies of munchies and home baked cakes would not meet that criteria. Having said that, is this strictly enforced, or can you get by it? No to enforcement, though spotty, and yes you can get around it. Could you be the one in a thousand who gets stopped? Sure, or you may be one of the thousand who gets by.

Candles are definitely not allowed. Electric candles would be allowed however.

My son is autistic and will only eat certain brands and types of food. I bring a whole suitcase of food for him. The only thing he eats on the ships his the french fries and that is only recently. I walk on board with a bag of 4 loaves of store brand bread and never had an issue.

Thanks to all who replied to my question. Of course it gave me other questions...

Why do they scan it? The only thing I can think of is to keep people from baking a gun or drugs into their food. Seems like overkill, is there another reason.

Thanks for the reminder about the candles!

If I bought a german chocolate cake and left it in it's packaging, you all wouldn't think there would be an issue with customs unless against CCL policy? I would just buy one instead if that were the case.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks to all who replied to my question. Of course it gave me other questions...

Why do they scan it? The only thing I can think of is to keep people from baking a gun or drugs into their food. Seems like overkill, is there another reason.

If I bought a german chocolate cake and left it in it's packaging, you all wouldn't think there would be an issue with customs unless against CCL policy? I would just buy one instead if that were the case.

Scanning is done to all baggage, whether given to the porters for delivery to your cabin, or carryon. It is a security thing. Unfortunately, when people hide explosives in their shoes and underwear, it's not beyond belief that a cake could hide something. And this isn't just a Carnival issue, it is driven by the ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) regulations, and so affects all ships to a more or less effect (more so for cruise ships, less so for cargo ships). And every time you take a backpack or purse off the ship it will be scanned again upon return.

Taking food onto the ship isn't a Customs issue, it is that the ship must meet USPH sanitation regulations, and could possibly get dinged by USPH if there was an inspection, so Carnival won't allow it. Unfortunately, going to a bakery and buying a cake and keeping it in the box probably won't work either, so the safest bet would be a supermarket cake (though not the best from a gourmet viewpoint!).

I keep picturing files in a loaf of bread to escape from prison. Although in this case can't imagine anyone wanting to escape the ship. Maybe something to bombard yourself in, though:D

Can I bring food items onboard due to dietary restrictions?

Bringing Food Items Onboard Due to Dietary Restrictions

Items must be pre-packaged, unopened and cannot require any food preparation from the dining staff. Homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. All items will need to be stored in the stateroom; the ship's storage and/or refrigeration are not available for this use.

Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. Carnival Cruise Lines is unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items.

no cakes allowed. YMMV

Edited by hftmrock