M&G was poorly attended

evandbob

The best sailaway party I ever attended with fellow Roll Callers was on the Star when one of our members had the huge Garden Villa and they invited us up for sailaway. We did a cabin crawl on the second sea day, and they suggested they be the last one on the list so that we could again enjoy their space.

Some of us also enjoyed lunch in Teppanyaki one day. The GV owner requested that they open for us, and they did. We did a sign up on the roll call and the first 12 or so to sign up for it got to go. It pays to have friends in high places.;).

Some Roll Calls even plan a precruise get together somewhere for drinks/dinner the night before the cruise, as many people fly in a day early.

We have done "the end of cruise" get together as well. Yes, usually that last sea day and we have done everything from a dinner, to just getting together by the pool late the last afternoon. How successful M&Gs are depends on so many things. For us, most have been really fun.

No different than doing an excursion with a dozen strangers, really.

For me, when I do an excursion I am only really dealing with the people in my party. Kind of like when I go to a tailgate. There are other people around me doing the same thing, but we're not intertwined. In my opinion planning an excursion beforehand could lead to uncomfortable situations if you realize you don't like the people from the M&G.

Do any of you do a sailaway get together with your roll call after muster drill ? We try to arrange a sailaway for the highest bar on the ship.. We say come dressed for the weather... we supply name tags and chat with everyone for about half hour to an hour weather permitting and say see you tomorrow at the M&G... lots of success...

That would be something I would enjoy. I might bring it up on my roll call.

We'll see how ours turns out next week but I think it should be good. We all had to sign up specifically for the M&G and the list is updated and circulated often. Further, one member arranged for a list of "key words" where each member gave some key words about themselves ahead of time for conversation starters.

Also, someone organized a slot pull following the M&G.

I sometimes don't make it to the M&G because I get carried away having other kinds of fun, but I feel more inclined to go to this one because of the organizing that has gone into it.

Can you give some examples of how the key word thing worked. I may want to pass this along to the person running our M & G. She has never done one before.

Thanks

Bobbie/bjcruiser

My best excursions are ones that I went on with roll call members. They are smaller than the cruise lines, no herding of people and giant buses.

On these excursions we really interact mostly with our own families, just like on the cruise line ones. However, there are occasional friendly interactions amongst us as well. We all are interested in seeing whatever sights we are there for, and there is a general feeling of good will.