M&G was poorly attended

evandbob

I didn't attend our Epic M&G in December because it was scheduled at the same time as the Platinum ship tour. In fact, there were at least six of us who had been more or less active on the roll call who were on the tour and would have attended the M&G if not for the tour. We did not know the time of the tour until we were on board and had our platinum packets, so we would not have been able to offer regrets on the roll call prior. I don't know how many attended.

The Bliss seems to be the regular location on the Epic. If it seems the group will be bigger, they offer a different location.

I am sure there were other activities that also conflicted.

But I also agree with the importance of have a good organizer with some sort of fun activities planned. The year before our Sun M&G was very well attended. There was a fun gift exchange and many members of the group met up several times during the cruise.

Also some roll calls just click and sometimes they don't.

Edited by drvalo

I didn't attend our Epic M&G in December because it was scheduled at the same time as the Platinum ship tour. In fact, there were at least six of us who had been more or less active on the roll call who were on the tour and would have attended the M&G if not for the tour. We did not know the time of the tour until we were on board and had our platinum packets, so we would not have been able to offer regrets on the roll call prior. I don't know how many attended.

The Bliss seems to be the regular location on the Epic. If it seems the group will be bigger, they offer a different location.

I am sure there were other activities that also conflicted.

But I also agree with the importance of have a good organizer with some sort of fun activities planned. The year before our Sun M&G was very well attended. There was a fun gift exchange and many members of the group met up several times during the cruise.

Also some roll calls just click and sometimes they don't.

I've hosted many M&G's and one of the very first things I ask when I e-mail to let them know about the M&G is "when is the Platinum Behind the Scenes Tour? I then always go back to let my people know on the Roll Call when the M&G is scheduled...where, what day and white time and also when the Platinum Behind the Scenes Tour is scheduled.

I must say I've been lucky enough that only once did the times conflict!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I've hosted many M&G's and one of the very first things I ask when I e-mail to let them know about the M&G is "when is the Platinum Behind the Scenes Tour? I then always go back to let my people know on the Roll Call when the M&G is scheduled...where, what day and white time and also when the Platinum Behind the Scenes Tour is scheduled.

I must say I've been lucky enough that only once did the times conflict!

Harriet

What a great suggestion, thank you.

We RSVP'd to the M&G on the Pearl in Alaska with every intention of making it. Like others have said, it is usually on a sea day. Well, in this case there was a bad storm and our party along with half the ship was hunkered down in the Atrium. There was no way we would have made it up to where the M&G was without decorating the ship as we went. :(

I have been on a Seashark Roll Call and I have to say it was a success...

I have also run the last couple I have been on and have had over 100 and less than 10. I don't get the reasoning that they're all the same or bad because you didn't get a prize.

The number one reason NCL Roll Calls are worth attending, IMO, is meeting the officers. They usually remember meeting you and having their phone numbers proves very helpful if you have a problem or concern that can't be helped by Guest Services. Heck, we had an overflowing toilet one night and no one was picking up the phone at Guest Services. In my panic all I could think to dial was the HD's number. Help arrived within minutes!

I have also enjoyed meeting some wonderful people and have especially enjoyed it when someone organizes an excursion.

I never thought about a conflict with the Platinum tour but will definitely be asking about that.

As far as reminders you can only do so much. I have tried to get people's cabin numbers but many people are reluctant to share them, which I can understand, just as they are reluctant to give their full names. In the end it is up to each person to set their own priorities. If you are not set on attending, then give a maybe.

Everyone should also be welcome to attend even if they are lurkers who never officially sign up. Don't worry about the refreshments that are provided. Quite frankly the time slot is usually right before or after a meal and most people don't want the food. I specifically put in my M & G request this last time that very limited amounts be put out so it would not be wasted.

Hope to see you at a future M & G!

We have attended cc M&G where 150 persons attended and some where only 25 attended. My experience is that it largely depends on how active was the roll call, as well as how many private tours were organized and/or events.

We did not attend our cruise's M & G because honestly, being first time cruisers, I had no idea what to expect.

I guess I figured it was just a meeting for people who were looking for other people to hang out/party with for the duration of the cruise. Especially because ours mentioned a 'cabin crawl' and 1) I couldn't understand why I would want strangers in our cabin and 2) I interpreted this to be a booze event and since we had our children along that wasn't an option.

I didn't know until we got home that it was a chance to meet the staff. Based on some of the comments in this thread, it sounds like a M & G is more like a banquet.

Knowing what I know now, we would consider attending a M & G on our next cruise.

Just returned from a great cruise on the Epic. One minor hiccup about the M&G. Our roll call had maybe 100 cruisers saying they would attend. NCL offered the Bliss Lounge. They put out a continental spread with coffee and juices, nothing fancy, and had pertinent department heads attend.

Perhaps 30 cruisers showed up. I have no idea where the other 70 were. I've attended M&G's on other lines where maybe 75 to 80% of roll callers attend. This was only my 2nd cruise on the Epic, and I was wondering if this was typical? I would imagine that NCL would re-think assigning so many department heads to such poorly attended events if this becomes a pattern?

We had a similar situation a few years ago; the hotel director was not particularly happy and made it very clear. It sorta ticked me off, his attitude, but things do happen. As for your attending others, on other lines we have had the opposite experience. With the exception of one of our M&G on Princess we have found the NCL ones to be better attended and more management attending as well. I will add 30 showing up really isn't all that bad. I think if there are 25 or more the cruise line is satisfied.

One thing we have done is print a newspaper, with articles about those who are going to be sailing with us. My hubby happens to do this, (his hobby) we have people send us bios, including whatever they would like to include about themselves and he puts them in story form. This is something that seems to get people to want to attend the M&G, if just to get a copy of the paper. It is fun and brings us together as a group. ohebhe erhin

Edited by newmexicoNita

I think that the type of roll call will help to determine the turnout for the meet and greet. The roll call for our last cruise (January 17, 2015) was very quiet and while we had a good turnout, the meet and greet was boring. At times I felt like I was sitting at church because of the seating arrangements, which has been the same for the last two cruises. Perhaps, meet and greet should be held in a bar or a restaurant where people can get a drink if they like. Or maybe NCL could offer a free glass of sparkling wine to those in attendance.

One thing we have done is print a newspaper, with articles about those who are going to be sailing with us. My hubby happens to do this, (his hobby) we have people send us bios, including whatever they would like to include about themselves and he puts them in story form. This is something that seems to get people to want to attend the M&G, if just to get a copy of the paper. It is fun and brings us together as a group. ohebhe erhin

Really like the idea of the newspaper. Having other events (slot pull, cabin crawl, gift exchange) also helps to get people involved.

A big problem is you register for a M&G.

There are things on the ship you are really looking forward to

Galley Tour

Trivia

Some lecture

Some show

Bridge tour

Whatever floats your boat

And the thing you really wanted to do clashes with the M&G.

Especially because ours mentioned a 'cabin crawl' and 1) I couldn't understand why I would want strangers in our cabin and 2) I interpreted this to be a booze event and since we had our children along that wasn't an option.

Maybe we weren't doing it right, but the cabin crawl on our last cruise was not a booze event, and was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Families at the meet and greet volunteered to show off their cabins (you didn't have to volunteer to show ... you could still crawl) and we went from stem to stern on the ship seeing all sorts of different kinds of rooms....an aft suite with a curve around the ship balcony to die for, a handicap interior that was surprisingly roomy, one of the new suites on deck 12 that was modern and open and then our 2 bdrm family suite on deck 11. Some of us had snacks out to offer the passengers who wanted to participate, some didn't.

It is a great way to see first hand what different types of rooms there are, especially if you are thinking of cruising again.

So, if you have a chance for another cabin crawl...don't be disuaded by thinking it isn't a family event.

I hosted two Meet and Greets in 2014. In both, I encouraged everyone to say a little bit about themselves. On the Jade in December, I had a microphone and every group, couple, single introduced themselves and said what they most looked forward to on the cruise. It went really well and most people hung around to chat after the hour. I also asked for a raffle item and that was a big hit. I didn't know if I would get any little gift but it doesn't hurt to ask.

On the Gem, I asked for a bridge tour that was arranged. I don't count on that, either.

I always make name tags and about two-thirds showed up. It is fun to have activities but encouraging everyone (who feels comfortable) to speak makes for a great Meet and Greet.

OK, I'll post a bit of a differing opinion from many who have posted to suggest things like submitting info for a bio in a newsletter type thing, going around the room to tell everyone who you are and where you are from, gift exchanges, etc.

You can easily get to know people on your cruise before you even board, by being active and chatting on your role call. In doing that, you may find people you want to specifically track down at the M&G, or just mingle, and you are free to do that while waiting for the intro of the officers or after that is concluded, for as long as you wish to stay.

I personally have no desire to sit through 30+ intros, a gift exchange, etc. I have places to go and things to do. IMO, this is a turn off to most potential M&G attendees, who just don't want to be bothered, and if it seems like it is getting too complicated and time consuming, they will just bail on the M&G.

Don't mean to sound antisocial. Have spent time chatting with people at the M&GS, done Cabin Crawls and Slot Pulls. But all I want is to have the officers intro'd, get their contact info, chat a little and then be free to get the heck out of there. If you want the M&GS to be "better" then get out of your chairs and mingle, and get active on the roll call.

I've been to some well attended, and some not so well attended M&Gs. When I'm the coordinator, I keep a running list of those who've committed to attending, not just anyone who's posted on the roll call. If people give their cabin number, my family will deliver the reminders to the cabins that aren't in the Haven (those we pass off to the concierge or guest services). We've found that if you have a piece of paper to stick in your pocket, you've got a little reminder and are more likely to show up. I will also give my cabin number in case anyone has any questions.

We did not attend our cruise's M & G because honestly, being first time cruisers, I had no idea what to expect.

I guess I figured it was just a meeting for people who were looking for other people to hang out/party with for the duration of the cruise. Especially because ours mentioned a 'cabin crawl' and 1) I couldn't understand why I would want strangers in our cabin and 2) I interpreted this to be a booze event and since we had our children along that wasn't an option.

I didn't know until we got home that it was a chance to meet the staff. Based on some of the comments in this thread, it sounds like a M & G is more like a banquet.

Knowing what I know now, we would consider attending a M & G on our next cruise.

A cabin crawl isn't a "booze event", it's just an opportunity to take a quick look at a variety of cabin categories.

The M & G isn't at all like a banquet, if anything it's more like a cocktail party without the cocktails. It's an opportunity to meet and talk with your fellow passengers, along with the introduction of some of the key officers on your ship.

Edited by njhorseman

You can easily get to know people on your cruise before you even board, by being active and chatting on your role call. In doing that, you may find people you want to specifically track down at the M&G, or just mingle, and you are free to do that while waiting for the intro of the officers or after that is concluded, for as long as you wish to stay.

" then get out of your chairs and mingle, and get active on the roll call.

This is what I like to do but there doesn't seem to be many on the roll call for our cruise and the ones that have posted aren't chatting. Maybe as our date gets closer it will become more active. I did make a roll call list but it has nothing to do with attending a M&G.

Edited by Lorey2007

As I said in an earlier thread somewhere, the M&G experience varies wildly from cruise to cruise, and we've had two (in five or six M&Gs) where we met more than one other couple - as in, had a conversation, and then acknowledged each other on-board the rest of the cruise, hung out in a bar when we saw each other, or ended up on the same excursion and hung out there. We've made some friendships that continued after the cruise, but they were rare.

The best-attended one I attended ended up being an introduction to the senior staff by the Hotel Director, and then everyone dispersed. Now, I'm not as interesting as the Food & Beverage Director, but I thought the point was to meet fellow cruisers. So, question one - what is the actual goal of a M&G? If everyone there has different goals, it will not be a success.

Because M&G sessions often turn into "Meet the Staff", I don't really need to go. I'm going to the Latitudes or the Platinums meeting, which is often an hour after the M&G so why go twice?

My wife has organized a number of the M&Gs, and attendance has ranged from 6 (4 of which were us and our son and daughter-in-law) out of 20 RSVPs to thirty or so (out of 90 RSVPs). So, question two - why RSVP if you never actually go? Low turnout discourages people from going to the next one, and it embarrasses the organizer, who told the ship 90 people were coming.

Some people want to meet fellow CruiseCritic members. Some read what others say in the Roll Call and then skip the meeting. This happened to us on a Transatlantic where a core clique all seemed to know each other, did TAs together, and didn't seem to be accepting new members in the clique. So, question three - how many people meet virtually and then decide to skip the in-person?

Question four - What is the point of the Roll Call if not to have people meet virtually before they meet in person on-board? I have been cruising for six years and I never realized before last year that the two were separate entities. I just assumed signing into the Roll Call meant you wanted to go to the meeting. (I learned the distinction on a cruise where the Roll Call was "run" by one person and the M&G by another.)

Finally, I think CruiseCritic damages the M&G by the rule against posting anywhere else. If you haven't found this site, you're never going to find out about meet and greets - and rookies would enjoy them more that old timers because it's all new. Maybe all the CruiseCritic members are just tired of seeing the same names online and the same faces on-board.

I hosted two Meet and Greets in 2014. In both, I encouraged everyone to say a little bit about themselves. On the Jade in December, I had a microphone and every group, couple, single introduced themselves and said what they most looked forward to on the cruise. It went really well and most people hung around to chat after the hour. I also asked for a raffle item and that was a big hit. I didn't know if I would get any little gift but it doesn't hurt to ask.

On the Gem, I asked for a bridge tour that was arranged. I don't count on that, either.

I always make name tags and about two-thirds showed up. It is fun to have activities but encouraging everyone (who feels comfortable) to speak makes for a great Meet and Greet.

I, also, always ask for a bridge tour and have received one for the M&G group except when on the Getaway and Breakaway. I, also, pass the mic around and ask everyone to introduce themself, say where they're from, and why they choose their UserId and to say a little about themselves. It's really fun and helps everyone remember others. I'm not a drinker so I always ask for the person with the closest birthday or anniversary and give the bottle of wine/champagne to them that I received in my cabin. I also play a 'guessing game'. I fill a container with something.....could be jelly beans, Hershey kisses, nuts, etc. and ask everyone to guess how many are in the container. The person closest without going over gets to keep that container as well as a 'little something else'. You've got to engage the people. You can't just plan it and then let everyone be on their own as they will just stay seated and only talk to those who are at their table. Best is when there is very little tables and chairs and people have to 'mingle'.

Harriet

That my friends......is the answer to a good roll call in a nutshell!

Harriet

I, also, always ask for a bridge tour and have received one for the M&G group except when on the Getaway and Breakaway. I, also, pass the mic around and ask everyone to introduce themself, say where they're from, and why they choose their UserId and to say a little about themselves. It's really fun and helps everyone remember others. I'm not a drinker so I always ask for the person with the closest birthday or anniversary and give the bottle of wine/champagne to them that I received in my cabin. I also play a 'guessing game'. I fill a container with something.....could be jelly beans, Hershey kisses, nuts, etc. and ask everyone to guess how many are in the container. The person closest without going over gets to keep that container as well as a 'little something else'. You've got to engage the people. You can't just plan it and then let everyone be on their own as they will just stay seated and only talk to those who are at their table. Best is when there is very little tables and chairs and people have to 'mingle'.

Harriet

Glad you agree! And I agree, the host should ask for a Bridge Tour, But, if you are ever in charge of a Roll Call I am on, I will be sure to sit veeery near the door, so I can make a fast getaway. LOL

Edited by punkincc

Sometimes things happen. On my November cruise, I fully intended to go to the meet and greet that was at 9:30am the first sea day, but when I woke up at 10:00am, I figured I would have missed the entire thing even if I got up immediately showered and dressed.