Porthole cabin

beamqueen

Who can tell me about the porthole cabins on sunshine? We booked room 2109. I am a little bit concerned about noise? Did those who booked in this type of cabin experience a lot of extra noise?

If the price drops I may try to upgrade to an oceanview but for now this is what we have budgeted for.

We've stayed in a porthole cabin on the Imagination. The only time we heard anything was at night, when we put our heads down. It was a banging sound, like metal on metal. It was weird because we couldn't hear anything when were up and about in the cabin otherwise. We also had very windy weather during that cruise and the water was rough for most of it so that may have been a factor. It wasn't particularly loud, just strange. Wouldn't deter us from booking another PT in the future.

I love the porthole rooms. I don't like the aft. With the porthole rooms, you will hear the sound of the front of the ship hitting the waves, & you'll feel the motion. This is a consistent sound & motion, which actually can be soothing. In the aft, the noises & motions are very inconsistent, causing me to be awoken at random times. Some of the sounds are much louder than others. This mostly just applies to the lower decks, as higher decks are fine in the aft. Some ships are worse with the aft sounds than others.

Forward (and aft) will be feeling & hearing it when coming into or leaving port, but I need to be awake then anyway. I have been in porthole rooms 4 times. 1 time, we upgraded to an oceanview from a porthole when prices dropped low enough. Just don't pick a room below the galley/kitchen. Those rooms to avoid would be deck 2 from the midship elevators to the aft elevators.

I had a porthole cabin on Splendor last week. You definitely hear the waves hitting the ship but it is not that bad. You are on a cruise ship in the ocean not the Holiday Inn so I am fine with the ship noises. I am booked on another porthole for Nov-2014. It is a great deal that prices as an inside with natural light. I'll always try to book a porthole when I can.:cool:

When docking in a port, the anchor will not drop. If it is a tendered port like Grand Cayman, the anchor will drop, and reports are that it sounds like a train going through the room in a few of these forward rooms. But even without the anchor dropping in docked ports, there are still some noises that you hear. But like I said, you need to be awake then anyway.

I had a porthole on the Liberty and absolutely LOVED it. We normally stay midship. I was very skeptical about being that far forward, but we had no problems at all. I would never go back to a regular Interior. If I cant get another porthole, Ill go to oceanview. The movement was a little more. You definitely hear the anchor for tendor ports (:eek:) but you want to be up early anyway. You can hear the water, but nothing that will jolt you awake, its rather soothing actually. You sometimes do hear some mechanical noises, but again nothing noisy.

I was very apprehensive the closer I got to my cruise and frantically looked for an upgrade, even went so far as almost paying the upgrade cost to MOVE to an oceanview for fear of the noise/movement, etc. (only didnt because we had multiple family members in rooms and we'd have to move everyone). Im very glad I stayed where I was. Absolutely loved that room.

Dont upgrade.... stay with the porthole just to experience it. We even had a couple price drops where we received OBC.