Pride 1/25/15..Annie rolls a rhino and Annie in the sky with diamonds!

JAYVIATION

loving your review so far - great job, way to go...

this photo just made me laugh though...

apparently now the towel animal vagina...

IMG_5147.jpg

i mean, 'seal', has a counterpart... :eek:

those sneaky room stewards :rolleyes:

I know what you mean :) you will see one later that Annie and I were scratching our heads on what the heck it was... we think we figured it out later just after it was accidentally bludgeoned to death by my camera bag. I'm just hoping no one reports me to the ASPCT (Association for Prevention of Cruelty to Towels)

and a good morning to everyone !

so I just have to say I loved the itinerary for this trip. It's great to have a sea day at the start to explore the ship and another at the end to just relax.

I do have a confession to make though.... some of the following shots are NOT from the sea day. I needed filler for this day so I put in some additional shots from my exploration on the sail away date. I apologize for that and the random-ness of some of the pics.

It was a laid back beautiful day started by the sun stretching her arms wide on the deck. People were spread out and made strolling around and checking things out very easy.

Lido was a bit full on that first breakfast understandably.... and yes the bacon police were on duty, BUT from what I saw, they were more than happy to pile more then the dreaded 2 paltry pieces mentioned on other reviews. As a side note pretty much everything was self serve and after that first breakfast, the bacon police were furloughed.

..and there was much rejoicing !!

The Lido layout on the spirit class lends to short lines if any at all. Think of it as a big oblong oval separated into 5 main stations ( 4 main food and 1 dessert) with an additional pizza station, specialty coffee and salad bar/continental breakfast area to the back/aft of the main serving oval.

There are plenty of drink filling stations and the seating is plentiful...and if you want some peace and quiet and have cabin 7301... you can just grab what you like and head down 2 flights of steps to the balcony of your room.

I will be happy to answer what I can regarding questions about the overall lido experience and whats available to my recollection.

one of the serving stations

IMG_1266A_zps9a7393d8.jpg

deck chairs awaiting the masses

IMG_0470A_zpseff83453.jpg

forward pool

IMG_0473A_zpsfb67e291.jpg

the mid pool area with the new DIVE IN MOVIE SCREEN. If you followed the refit news of Pride, this was put in at the last minute and was not originally in the 2.0 upgrade drydock. It is where the old music stage was. the screen faces forward and just clears the overhead sliding roof. There was no news channels or sports shown, just peaceful scenes and some concert videos. These gentlemen provided a lot of the "on deck" music and were VERY VERY good! they played a wide array of music and seemed to be enjoyed by all.

IMG_0472A_zps87edcf84.jpg

main radar mast ( even it has a cool form to it ). this is on the top deck all the way forward with the mini-golf surrounding it and a small jogging track around that. That's padded astroturf around the mini-golf holes not real grass....what do you think this is? Celebrity Cruises?? ha. I don't think I will ever grasp the logic of real grass areas on a cruise ship...kind of like putting a basketball court in a submarine. To each their own I suppose.

GOPR0367A_zps58e9f9ac.jpg

deck 3 outside promenade. The elevators and deck plan signage show the promenade as deck 2. There is an INDOOR promenade on deck 2 but the outdoor one is deck 3. The outside promenade does not go all the way around the ship. It does wrap around the back, but dead ends on both sides toward the front. It is also not straight like most ships. This is due to the exterior lines of the ship. It weaves in and out...hmm like the waves.

IMG_0694A_zpsfe26c89d.jpg

It's worth noting there are no deck chairs on the outside promenade. There are certainly places where it's wide enough, but alas there are none...but hey...that's why you got cabin 7301 with a deck chair already on the balcony.

now following up on the lack of a complete walk around promenade... there is a solution of sorts.

Just at the forward outside dead end of either side of the ship, go can go inside and just around the corner you will find the "Sunset Garden" which is referred by many as a secret part of the ship because most people never know it's there. This walk way goes from one side of the ship all the way forward and around to the other side. Great place to read a book or just find a quiet spot without a lot of foot traffic.

IMG_0690A_zpsebda752f.jpg

IMG_0789A_zps426af560.jpg

IMG_0790A_zpsc8f8d6a5.jpg

at the very front of this Sunset Garden path is a stairway to the arcade and access to the kids club area.

below is detail of the lower atrium

IMG_0637A_zps7237ecc1.jpg

one of the many photo op areas. They had these set up about every night.

IMG_1262_zpsaf57068b.jpg

the guest services desk in the main atrium area.

IMG_1263A_zps77316e73.jpg

I do not intend to start a flame war here with the following statement...it is my opinion alone.

These people WORK HARD and put up with A LOT and my hat goes off to them!!

I never had an issue, but I stopped by just to thank them for what they do and they almost fell over in disbelief. The returned smiles was reassuring of a job well done. Some that have had issues will disagree with me which is fine.

more to follow..

We were on this cruise too and had a great time! So glad to be able to relive it through your pictures!! We also found very, very few waits for food, elevators, etc. and the only area we found to be really crowded was Serenity, and I agree with whoever said that it was loud!

Thanks for posting your review!

We were on this cruise too and had a great time! So glad to be able to relive it through your pictures!! We also found very, very few waits for food, elevators, etc. and the only area we found to be really crowded was Serenity, and I agree with whoever said that it was loud!

Thanks for posting your review!

thanks for the compliment and I am pleased others from that trip are stopping by. It's giving my review credibility... although I am aware it is strictly subjective and one persons opinion only. I do try to be as even as possible with pluses and opportunities.

Edited by JAYVIATION

on my initial walkthrough, I noticed "The Box" was still latched to the deck. This is the emergency generator to keep basic essentials running in the event of a power failure..... ala Triumph. I had thought it would have found a more permanent placement below decks during the refit, but I suppose it will stay deckside for the forseeable future.

IMG_0468A_zps5d3ce112.jpg

I dunno, just something very "old school" about this door on a modern cruise ship... was an interesting contrast.

IMG_0556A_zps72526094.jpg

ah gotta love the spirit class funnel. Such a cool use of the structure. Adds a kind of steam-punk-ness to the ship and can you have a cooler skylight for a restaurant?

IMG_0560A_zps7aff7581.jpg

a look at "David" of "David's Steakhouse" through the funnel glass

IMG_0600A_zpsa5b8e4b4.jpg

so they had these Pratt and Whitney turbofan hand sanitizer stations around the Lido buffet, but by the second day of the cruise I believe all of them were out of order for the remainder of the cruise....or maybe from the picture sticker on it, it was a hand shake machine. I never got to use it so I'm not totally sure.

IMG_0624A_zps1a3394ac.jpg

and what review would be complete without the picture of the hypnotic, thundering corkscrewing wake from the azipods at the back of the ship...could watch it for hours.

IMG_0678A_zps8c13bde2.jpg

more up next...

Thanks for taking the time to post all of those pics and information about the Carnival Pride!

We will be on the Pride Repo cruise (as others that have posted) in mid-March! It's our first time on a Carnival ship any your information is helpful.

Alan

my pleasure, glad I can offer some insight. Thanks for stopping by !

Thanks for this great and timely review.

I was just about ready to jump in and ask about a quiet place to read when I came to your Sunset Garden post. Looks perfect! I presume (and hope) there is NO MUSIC there? Also, the pictures you posted look to have a possible porthole view at intervals. Is this the case?

Many thanks.

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

and here we have "Guy's Burger Joint". Great addition from the refit. It is located next to the Dive-In screen (by the midship pool) on the starboard (right side) of the ship. It is free and all you can woof down.

IMG_0626A_zps83b6aec2.jpg

now I remember the old lido grill setup... there were always crazy lines. You would think something already popular and new would always be crowded....nope. I'll admit I frequented this place and was never in line for more than 1 minute. The guy's (see that heh) there work so fast and have a burger ..or two and fresh fries on your plate in seconds.

now below was simple but genius..

IMG_0971A_zps8e4c4874.jpg

all the burger fixins had their own stand just away from the main line. This is one of the reasons the old grill line was so slow... people were about as picky of their burger toppings as much as their latte from Starbucks.. you know the "vanilla latte with skim milk and whipped cream ( yes I see the irony) with 2 1/2 shot and 1 sugar, 2 splenda, and a sow cow and triple lutz with a swirl of caramel."...that kind of thing..only with burger toppings. This new setup made the wait zero...plus...

IMG_0970_zps76698014.jpg

a condiment station at the end... great execution...now the burgers. They give it to you simply with cheese or without and you do the rest.

but how are they? do they compare to let's say "Five Guys"? it's close. more importantly... is it better then the old burgers? By lightyears YES.. so enjoy!

a couple pics of mini-golf... functional? yes. Terribly exciting? not so much. It tended to be very windy so it was difficult to do.

IMG_0481A_zps8b44158b.jpg

IMG_0477A_zps14cd9577.jpg

this brings up the question of motion. How was it? We had beautiful weather all seven day so no storms. The second evening was a little choppy but not so much that you were pulling an "A-ha" down the corridor ( you folks my age should get that reference ). The Pride is a "Panamax" ship meaning she was made for a width fitting the panama canal and as such, she's a bit on the narrow side which translates into a bit more potential rolling. She does have stabilizers on either side below the water mid-ships that can be deployed and act as wings to try to negate some of the rolling should the needs arise.

For those curious. A secondary canal is already underway to be far wider to accommodate larger ships such as Oasis on a later date.

next up...slides

Love the review. We are on the Pride in May. Can you tell me if you saw a giant chess board? On the Fascination last year they had one and he hopes the Pride does too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did not see one, but that doesn't mean there is not one there. Perhaps someone else post refit could chime in. It may have been replaced by the kids waterpark area.

Thanks for this great and timely review.

I was just about ready to jump in and ask about a quiet place to read when I came to your Sunset Garden post. Looks perfect! I presume (and hope) there is NO MUSIC there? Also, the pictures you posted look to have a possible porthole view at intervals. Is this the case?

Many thanks.

Kathy

I heard no music on my multiple passes through there and you are correct, there are large circular porthole windows at intervals along both sides.

and here we have "Guy's Burger Joint". Great addition from the refit. It is located next to the Dive-In screen (by the midship pool) on the starboard (right side) of the ship. It is free and all you can woof down.

IMG_0626A_zps83b6aec2.jpg

now I remember the old lido grill setup... there were always crazy lines. You would think something already popular and new would always be crowded....nope. I'll admit I frequented this place and was never in line for more than 1 minute. The guy's (see that heh) there work so fast and have a burger ..or two and fresh fries on your plate in seconds.

now below was simple but genius..

IMG_0971A_zps8e4c4874.jpg

all the burger fixins had their own stand just away from the main line. This is one of the reasons the old grill line was so slow... people were about as picky of their burger toppings as much as their latte from Starbucks.. you know the "vanilla latte with skim milk and whipped cream ( yes I see the irony) with 2 1/2 shot and 1 sugar, 2 splenda, and a sow cow and triple lutz with a swirl of caramel."...that kind of thing..only with burger toppings. This new setup made the wait zero...plus...

IMG_0970_zps76698014.jpg

a condiment station at the end... great execution...now the burgers. They give it to you simply with cheese or without and you do the rest.

but how are they? do they compare to let's say "Five Guys"? it's close. more importantly... is it better then the old burgers? By lightyears YES.. so enjoy!

a couple pics of mini-golf... functional? yes. Terribly exciting? not so much. It tended to be very windy so it was difficult to do.

IMG_0481A_zps8b44158b.jpg

IMG_0477A_zps14cd9577.jpg

this brings up the question of motion. How was it? We had beautiful weather all seven day so no storms. The second evening was a little choppy but not so much that you were pulling an "A-ha" down the corridor ( you folks my age should get that reference ). The Pride is a "Panamax" ship meaning she was made for a width fitting the panama canal and as such, she's a bit on the narrow side which translates into a bit more potential rolling. She does have stabilizers on either side below the water mid-ships that can be deployed and act as wings to try to negate some of the rolling should the needs arise.

For those curious. A secondary canal is already underway to be far wider to accommodate larger ships such as Oasis on a later date.

next up...slides

WOW, do I have the weirdest question you have ever been asked. I have a very very picky eater. The picture you have of Guys Burgers... the french fries... they look like McDonalds-type fries. When we were on the Liberty, they looked more like seasoned fries (cut up potatoes with skins on). My son wouldnt touch them. Are those the "pre 2.0" fries or am I blind?

there are 2 main slides on the Pride. I am not counting the kiddie ones at the water park which are really just speed bumps. the corkscrew yellow one below I have been told is "meh". very very slow is the concensus.

IMG_0456A_zpsfeb15f1e.jpg

that said, if you are below the height restriction of the MUCH faster Green Thunder then it may be the ride for you. I did see a little chap loving it and going up and down this thing like 20 times before I started to feel like I was caught in a temporal causality loop of the same moment in time playing over and over... but I digress lets get to the big boy... Green Thunder!

IMG_0458A_zps85a85ddc.jpg

IMG_0558A_zps43053255.jpg

another addition from the refit. You begin your journey by climbing stairs to the highest point of the ship ( great place for pictures by the way ) and stare into the capsule awaiting you at it's apex.

IMG_0579A_zps9bb1bd17.jpg

you enter the booth and are standing upright, arms crossed while arctic jets spray down your back...

with a close of the door and a squinching of the eyes you await the imminent drop of the floor... sending you "thundering" down the emerald tunnel

IMG_0457A_zps15accdd2.jpg

whisking you just over the side of the ship...

IMG_0459A_zps04d0f808.jpg

where you come to a face drenching exit chute...

WOW, do I have the weirdest question you have ever been asked. I have a very very picky eater. The picture you have of Guys Burgers... the french fries... they look like McDonalds-type fries. When we were on the Liberty, they looked more like seasoned fries (cut up potatoes with skins on). My son wouldnt touch them. Are those the "pre 2.0" fries or am I blind?

perfectly valid question and my fault for not making a clarification earlier. I am as picky as it gets.. I went to a McDonalds one time and wanted a plain BigMac..they had no idea what that was. So I made the mistake of not checking before I drove 10 miles home then realized...they gave me a bun and cheese...no burger....really? if I wanted bread and cheese... I would just go to the store.

The "fries" you see at the fixins bar are just shoestring potato sticks. The fries you DO get are the fresh cut potato ones. There is a little seasoning on it.. and again pepper kicks my butt so if I'm able to tolerate it, I'm sure your little one is safe. Eat a few in front of him or dip it in ketchup and he'll be sold.. promise :)