Pride 1/25/15..Annie rolls a rhino and Annie in the sky with diamonds!

JAYVIATION

We too, were on this cruise. One of our most enjoyable ones. Most of our observations are/were in line with yours.

Love the pics. Wondered if we might show up in one and sure enough, found us in Post 125, 6th photo -- our back is to you -- we are behind the little man in the light blue shirt. And, again - just me in Post 126, 4th photo. Looks like I was gong somewhere with a purpose. :D

Thanks for taking the time for the review.

We too, were on this cruise. One of our most enjoyable ones. Most of our observations are/were in line with yours.

Love the pics. Wondered if we might show up in one and sure enough, found us in Post 125, 6th photo -- our back is to you -- we are behind the little man in the light blue shirt. And, again - just me in Post 126, 4th photo. Looks like I was gong somewhere with a purpose. :D

Thanks for taking the time for the review.

Glad you had as good of a time as we did. I hope you don't mind being a part of my review :)

Good Morning Roatan !

1_zps745870bf.jpg

yet another beautiful day. awoke to this sight sampling the morning air on the balcony

2_zpsb06f5514.jpg

Once more the Splendor was with us and backed into port.

3_zps5ab499ad.jpg

Port area and you can just see the beach nearby to the right to give an idea of distance form the ships

4_zps27c5df95.jpg

the balconies to the rear as we back in

5_zpse582dccb.jpg

close up of the wreck..what a mangled skeleton of rusted steel

6_zps714433bb.jpg

more to come..

forward area of the wreck

7_zps55eeb645.jpg

view of the chair lift that takes you from the port mall to the beach

8_zps4adcde55.jpg

tucked in front of Splendor

9_zps9283b8e8.jpg

an officer on the Splendor staring at our aft....

11_zps873c219d.jpg

great...now the captain..... "Eyes up here Cap"

12_zpsd9bb2b69.jpg

nice little view of the beach left half

13_zps2c7fda9f.jpg

more and more..

Edited by JAYVIATION

An excursion popped up relatively late as being a small island beach break called "Starfish Island" where there was lunch provided and they picked you up at the ship. At the time, there were only 5 reviews and none really had a lot of detail or pictures. From what was available, this seemed the best "risk".

Before we knew it, we were off to Starfish Island ( note: it has been mentioned in prior reviews I researched that Starfish Island was once Barrister? might have the name wrong Island in the past)

Yep, it has been around for awhile and use to be called Bannister Island. New owners took possession of it and renamed it. Bannister Island use to be one of those places people went that either liked it or really hated it. We liked it just for the fact that they had so many starfish there and it was the first time we had ever ran across them while snorkeling. So I was happy about it. (That's where my advatar on here came from).

I'm interested to see the rest of your day there and what your thoughts were now. :)

and the right side of the beach while still pristine.

14_zps0914e716.jpg

a view of the shops pavillion. We got off the ship and headed to the pavillion... thinking that due to past research that we would need to go through the pavilion and up a hill where just over the entrance to the port, the excursions would be. It was said to take about 15 minutes.

15_zpsa0a0f4fd.jpg

however, much to our surprise, we saw the usual mass of excursion signs and guides right after we entered the pavillion area next to the fountain. Here is where we found ours, The "Boss Underwater Scooter" excursion tour awaiting us.

After a short wait, we were guided through the mall to 2 small buses (more like mini-vans) and were headed out. We drove over that hill and by the port entrance and saw many more "unofficial" excursion people waiting for their patrons to arrive... so it must be the non ship sold excursions that have to be outside.

We took a meandering drive that took us out by the water again and then to a small dock where we boarded our boat. This excursion "company" seems very versed and well equipped and immediately set everyone at ease. Thats important for a number of reasons.

The cruisers were then briefed on how the trip works. It is split into 3 groups. Group 1 would take the scooters first for a 30 minute ride. Groups 2 and 3 would be able to snorkel until it was their turn. A demo was given on how to use the scooters and the snorkel equipment. Everything was sanitized and in great condition. They even had a spray defogger to treat the masks before going in. It was a huge help.

We motored out for a bit and came to an area as calm as the captain of the boat could find. Annie and I being in group 3 got snorkeled up and..

16_zpsa731ddb5.jpg

17_zps7b12579b.jpg

18_zpsc900a3be.jpg

Just look at this water...beautiful and was the perfect temperature. No other tours around but ours. We got to snorkel a full hour..was so great!

19_zpsfc133de1.jpg

cont..

more sights around the ship..

below is a designated smoking area

IMG_0486A_zps87bf3d0e.jpg

cont..

Loving your review! Can you tell me where this area is? Also did you notice f there is any smoking allowed near any of the pools?

Yep, it has been around for awhile and use to be called Bannister Island. New owners took possession of it and renamed it. Bannister Island use to be one of those places people went that either liked it or really hated it. We liked it just for the fact that they had so many starfish there and it was the first time we had ever ran across them while snorkeling. So I was happy about it. (That's where my advatar on here came from).

I'm interested to see the rest of your day there and what your thoughts were now. :)

aye, I stand corrected.. "Bannister Island". Now I am past Belize and into Roatan... did all my pics and review of starfish Island not post? I refrshed on my end and seems fine.

Loving your review! Can you tell me where this area is? Also did you notice f there is any smoking allowed near any of the pools?

it's on the right side (starboard) of the deck 9 lido forward pool. its close to the pool but not right next to it. you can see the area in question in the picture below. hope it helps. I do not know for sure if smoking is allowed at the pools but its doubtful

GOPR0362b_zps38bfdd35.jpg

glad you are enjoying the review

Edited by JAYVIATION

vlcsnap-2015-02-02-21h34m00s75A_zps1582be43.jpg

Wait, hold up. This is located in the gym area? Is it for anyone to use? Or how do you get to it? It looks like one of those little "hidden" areas that I have seen mentioned on these boards around the gym that not many know about. Please tell me more. :)

IMG_0632A_zpsa33d80ac.jpg

Oh my gosh...I have GOT to have a picture like this. What floor were you on? I can see myself standing there, waiting for the elevator door to open, hoping that there isn't anyone in it so that I can get a picture like this. LOVE IT.

aye, I stand corrected.. "Bannister Island". Now I am past Belize and into Roatan... did all my pics and review of starfish Island not post? I refrshed on my end and seems fine.

It is there. By the time I made my post, you had already skipped an entire page ahead of me so I lost a page. LOL You are quick! :D

an underwater view of group 1 and their scooters.

22_zpsda2b5007.jpg

one of our guide divers looking for interesting stuff

23_zps46f2447a.jpg

c'mere...ya little bugger

24_zps14780382.jpg

ah c'mon.....

25_zps62d6aeeb.jpg

meh....don't really like seafood anyway..

an hour passed and it was now our turn. We did watch some people bail early from the scooters. A couple were too nauseous, a couple were too hot and a couple just had enough. We were undaunted. At first the scooters are on the surface and you are guided to yours and a guide will help you dunk your head underwater and slip up into the helmet section of the scooter.

You will bob up and down a bit until your guide sets your ballast (fills a tank on your scooter with water) to bring you about 10 feet under the surface... here is my guide bringing me under.

26_zpsa10cdfcd.jpg

there is one thruster button on the right side of the steering stick. there are 2 white buttons on the left side that are hands off...so off we go..

27_zps826b3795.jpg

there was also a separate diver doing photography. photos were $70 and if you wanted that, a white wristband was given to those and more "photo attention" was paid to those guests, but she did take plenty of everybody in case you wanted to buy later. She was very knowledgable and not at all pushy about buying.

more..

Wait, hold up. This is located in the gym area? Is it for anyone to use? Or how do you get to it? It looks like one of those little "hidden" areas that I have seen mentioned on these boards around the gym that not many know about. Please tell me more. :)

see..my point exactly when I spoke of it that not a lot notice it. To answer your question. Yes it's free to use up till 10pm each night. It is located on the bottom level center of the 3 tiered gym. You can access it either directly through the spa lobby on deck nine forward or you can go one level up and there is a door on the left side giving you direct access to the gym and the spa 1 floor below.

Oh my gosh...I have GOT to have a picture like this. What floor were you on? I can see myself standing there, waiting for the elevator door to open, hoping that there isn't anyone in it so that I can get a picture like this. LOVE IT.

total total luck. It was on deck 10, the highest level of the central glass elevator in the atrium.

it was a great experience.. definately one to check off the list..

28_zps6b57dc2a.jpg

now I did figure out why others did finish "early". The scooters are prone to the slightest current and do tend to shove around a bit ... hence the nausea. Second cause of the nausea was the viewport. As you bring your sight down, the magnification increases. I found it a cool perspective, some did not.

30_zpsad07936a.jpg

Another problem... and this I found odd is that it was terribly hard to hold down that thruster thumb button. It had a lot of resistance.. I mean I am a gamer and I was having problems. Turns out on our way back to the ship everyone else did as well. And lastly, the thruster was not very powerful so traveling any distance took time.

These were all minor things and did not detract at all from our enjoyment.. it was beautiful.

29_zpsaf7e7850.jpg

31_zps915b64d2.jpg

our guide was great, used my GoPro to take our picture and see some things below..

32_zps5c9af53f.jpg

kinda hard to kiss your GF hand through this thing ..

33_zps92efe9ce.jpg

to be continued

after our return to the port pavilion, we checked out the various stores. Stark contrast to Costa Maya. No constant calling out by vendors, just friendly (or aloof) staff that helped you if you needed.

We then took the chair lift to the beach area. There is a cost associated and can be purchased at the main booth or part of a beach package onboard. Like FTTF (faster to the fun) you only need purchase one package per cabin.

34_zpsf567d81b.jpg

35_zps8d038a01.jpg

36_zpse8d26374.jpg

37_zps7e64daf2.jpg

we had a quick look at the beach but decided not to stay.. We had worked up quite an appetite from the excursion and we were pretty "sunned out"

38_zps93719abb.jpg

we then stopped for the tourist picture and walked back to the ship via a path alongside the chairlift.. didn't take long at all.

39_zpsa01a0d41.jpg

next.. leaving Roatan..

with all aboard we slowly slide away from the island and head north to Grand Cayman.

41_zpsbc02beca.jpg

after grabbing a bite, Annie goes for a read in the cabin..which usually turns into a nap while I go for a walk...

42_zps2a9ff072.jpg

These ping pong tables were used a lot and somehow I got hit by a ball walking by on a windy afternoon on the deck above. what a shot!

43_zps88db4786.jpg

there always seemed to be a place you can get a lounger for the sun..

44_zps6a7865d9.jpg

back to the Blue Iguana Cantina for a sec. It is located on the opposite side of the ship from Guys next to the big screen. I never got around to trying it but was baffled at the logic of it. It was pretty popular when it was open.. and that was the issue.

45_zps76837e21.jpg

now Guy's was a lunch place and was open noon to 6pm. later would be nice but ok. The cantina was open for breakfast burritos and such from 7am till 10:30. ok .... but it was only open for lunch noon till 2:30pm.. huh? why such a small window for something the size of Guys and has the same great separate fixings setup... for a 2.0 upgrade, it seems like a waste to have it closed so much. ok back to wandering..

shadow of the funnel in the wake..

46_zpsad27b034.jpg

more..

27_zps826b3795.jpg

there was also a separate diver doing photography. photos were $70 and if you wanted that, a white wristband was given to those and more "photo attention" was paid to those guests, but she did take plenty of everybody in case you wanted to buy later. She was very knowledgable and not at all pushy about buying.

more..

[/font]

I did this in Hawaii and really enjoyed it. Saved a lot of $$$ by putting a brochure picture in my scrapbook. No one knows it isn't me!!!:D

Kathy

Great overview and pictures. Thank-you for sharing. I have been on the Pride twice and will be on her in 5 weeks to bring her home to Baltimore. Petesweet I have been in the garden area many times I can show you were it is. Its a great quiet oasis.

Thanks. If anyone wants to find me, I will be in here--or where the food is!!

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

Fantastic review... very much looking forward to more!

Happy to see so many March repo folks here... easy to tell we're all jonesin' for our 14 nights aboard this beautiful ship. Five more weeks!