Oasis of the Seas Photographers

Bird82

Going on my first cruise in April and it will be on the Oasis. I want lots of pictures for memories, but there is no way I'm paying the prices they are asking for their professional photos. I just bought a very decent digital camera so my question is will the professional photographers take pictures of my friend and I against their backdrops using my camera? I would even be willing to tip them $5 or so for this service to snap off a few quick pics.

Also are fellow cruisers usually pretty willing to snap a quick pic of us if we ask them nicely?

Thanks in advance for any info!

I seriously doubt if the ship's photographers will take your photo with your own camera or let you use their backdrops. Their job is to take and sell photos of passengers.

That said, you don't really need either one, with a little creativity there are many wonderful backdrops and artwork and sculpture already in place around the ship and other passengers will be happy to take your photo. :)

I doubt it and I wouldn't have the nerve to ask.

An 8x10 is $20 which is less than the cost of two drinks. We've disciplined ourselves not to go hog wild with them but we always buy a few. It helps that we're not as photogenic as we once were:)

We've always found fellow cruisers more than happy to take pictures of us. Get in a lot of practice with your camera before your cruise.

I would even be willing to tip them $5 or so for this service to snap off a few quick pics.

Are you for real ?

I think its a very cheap if you think this is going to happen.

You are on vacation, so enjoy and dont count the pennies too much.

As other posters have mentioned, fellow pax will only be too happy to take a photo of you, with your camera.

But tipping $5 to a photographer to use their backdrops ?

Yeah, like they will risk their job for a $5 tip.

I would say no they will not take a picture with your camera their backdrops. But you know what, If you find a recent spot I am sure a random person would be glad to take your picture. I know ive taken some for people before and some people have taken some for us. I always buy a few professional photos as well its hard to top some of them.

Why not have photos taken on staircase, by car or backdrop. Then, if you happen to enjoy one photo of the bunch, purchase it. You may actually like so many that you jump for a photo package at the end of the cruise.

Think many fellow cruisers will be happy to take your picture as long as you are not in the way for the photographers.

The photographers will not use your camera against one of their backdrop. If you are having your photos taken with the DreamWorks characters then they will be happy to use your camera.

If you want photos with the ship's decor, just ask one of the passing fellow cruisers.

The photographers will not use your camera against one of their backdrop. If you are having your photos taken with the DreamWorks characters then they will be happy to use your camera.

If you want photos with the ship's decor, just ask one of the passing fellow cruisers.

Agreed. Also, consider an inexpensive, light weight tripod, that will fit into your suit case, and use the camera's self timer, and set up your own portrait against an attractive part of the ship.

I rarely buy ship photos, and either use a tripod or a fellow passenger to take the shot.

I didn't need a ship's photographer to take this photo of me with captain Paul Wright and his wife on QM2.

P1080342.jpg.3436c34746064085719c961ba7dfe259.jpg

On Freedom, I snapped a picture of my son with the Dreamworks Character and was told off by the ship's photog. We had the unlimited photo package anyway, but the photog wasn't ready and my son was interacting with the character. I had no idea we weren't supposed to use our own camera. Hope this has changed.

To answer OP's question, you are not supposed to snap pix with the official backgrounds, and there is no way a ship photographer will do it for you. I am sure fellow guests would be happy to take pix for you not against the backgrounds.

You'll have no problem getting other passengers to snap a shot or two, but not in front of any professional backdrops. The photographers definitely won't do it themselves with your camera, even for a tip.

As a professional photographer myself, I actually find their prices to be pretty average with land-based professional photography services that include a finished product other than just a CD with files on it. Perhaps even a little cheaper.

Granted they aren't getting the entire $20 from everyone (or necessarily doing every step), but I would charge at least that just to get the couple or family in the right spot, snap ten or so consecutive shots as to not get any blinkers, then process the shot and print it out. Not to mention the set-up and tear-down of the equipment (and wear and tear).

$20 is pretty reasonable. Especially for an 8x10.

On Freedom, I snapped a picture of my son with the Dreamworks Character and was told off by the ship's photog. We had the unlimited photo package anyway, but the photog wasn't ready and my son was interacting with the character. I had no idea we weren't supposed to use our own camera. Hope this has changed.

Had the same thing happen to me on Allure. Photographer got a bit snarky with me when I tried to take a picture also. :( I also did not know it wasn't allowed.

Yes I am for real. Like I said this is my first cruise and the past 10 years I stuck to land vacations in Orlando and Walt Disney World. The professional photographers stationed all around the disney parks are more than happy to take pictures using my personal camera and they will not accept tips. I thought maybe RCI offered the same level of friendly service. I guess I was mistaken.

Are you for real ?

I think its a very cheap if you think this is going to happen.

You are on vacation, so enjoy and dont count the pennies too much.

As other posters have mentioned, fellow pax will only be too happy to take a photo of you, with your camera.

But tipping $5 to a photographer to use their backdrops ?

Yeah, like they will risk their job for a $5 tip.

Yes I am for real. Like I said this is my first cruise and the past 10 years I stuck to land vacations in Orlando and Walt Disney World. The professional photographers stationed all around the disney parks are more than happy to take pictures using my personal camera and they will not accept tips. I thought maybe RCI offered the same level of friendly service. I guess I was mistaken.

Remember, the so called professional photographers on Cruise ships are contractors and do not work directly for the Cruise line. IMO most of them at best are amateurs using expensive cameras.

Edited by davekathy

Yes I am for real. I guess I was mistaken.

I still think the idea is cheap, tipping a photgrapher $5 to take your photo in front of the backdrops using your own camera.

You are on vacation, $20 for a photo is not going to break the bank, is it ?

And if you are penny pinching, save up some more and enjoy the vaction instead of being over thrifty.

I appreciate your feedback, opinion, and honesty. In addition to a balcony cabin im spending $900 on two ultimate liquor packages and visiting at least two specialty restaurants including 150 Central park so no $20 is not going to break the bank. I just think $20 for an 8x10 is outrageous and I refuse to pay those prices on principle.

I will just take lots of my own photographs against my own backdrops around the ship which are just as good.

I still think the idea is cheap, tipping a photgrapher $5 to take your photo in front of the backdrops using your own camera.

You are on vacation, $20 for a photo is not going to break the bank, is it ?

And if you are penny pinching, save up some more and enjoy the vaction instead of being over thrifty.

To answer OP's question, you are not supposed to snap pix with the official backgrounds, and there is no way a ship photographer will do it for you. I am sure fellow guests would be happy to take pix for you not against the backgrounds.

On the Allure’s daily compass, they list the characters’ appearance in one of two ways – “professional photographer” and “bring your own camera”.

If the former, they don’t want you snapping any pictures. If latter, the “handlers” will be more than happy to take a picture for you and your group with the characters so the key is to know/check the calendar to know what the rules are for every appearance as they are not all the same.

As for the unlimited photo package, how would the workers know if you have that when you are snapping a picture? Is there a wristband to signify the package holder? Maybe they are just told to say no to all outsider photos, period.

I appreciate your feedback, opinion, and honesty. In addition to a balcony cabin im spending $900 on two ultimate liquor packages and visiting at least two specialty restaurants including 150 Central park so no $20 is not going to break the bank. I just think $20 for an 8x10 is outrageous and I refuse to pay those prices on principle.

I will just take lots of my own photographs against my own backdrops around the ship which are just as good.

Since you are sailing on the Oasis class ship, arguably one of the best architectural achievements in ship building, you don’t need the few fake backdrops they have. There are plenty of areas to take pictures on the ship that are real and awe inspiring.

Even some of the professional photographer’s setup is just using real live ship areas like staircases/car in royal promenade that you can take pictures of at your own leisure when they are not around. No need to spend the $5.

As for being cheap or not, nothing wrong with how you want to spend your hard earned money. We all have priorities. I am in process of writing up a trip report for the Allure cruise and the title is “Cheapo dad” so being cheap is who I am.

Take a look at the info I posted (link under my signature below) and maybe there might be a photo idea in there somewhere that you can use for your vacation.

Have a great cruise in April. Wow, first cruise on the Oasis. Very nice.

So, I understand everyone has their own vaca budget and I respect that. I think the appropriate thing to do would be to find a place on the ship that you find beautiful, and have a passenger take your photo there. There's no need to get all wrapped up in pro photos if you can't or don't want to pay, and I wouldn't risk the staff's jobs.

Myself, I don't care for the fake backdrops in the pro pics, I never look good. It's my opinion. I'm going on a cruise in April for the first time with my son. I def want a family pic, but good luck with a toddler (thank god for royal tots :D). Anyway- my ideal pic would be the three of us in front of the ship at port. It's not formal night, but it shows we are somewhere tropical, the ship, etc. I just like that. Start looking at pics of the ship and pic a spot....hell, if I'm on your cruise I'll take your pic :). Happy Sails!