Stay in place or relocate during London stay?

Ladydee

My family and I have four days in the London area. We do not intend on renting a car. We have done a HOHO bus tour on a previous visit. We do not intend on visiting any museums, galleries, or the like.

I'd maybe like my girls (17 and 19) to visit Harrod's, Hyde Park and possibly Kensington Palace. Other than that, I don't really need to spend a lot of time in London.

While in England, I would like to visit the Cotswolds area, and my daughter must see Stonehenge. Bath is optional, as my husband and I have already been there. Other than that, no MUSTS, and I am open to options.

So, on the one hand, I am thinking why stay in London all 4 nights if I don't plan on spend all of my time there? But on the other hand, without a car, I like easy accessibility of taxis, activity, dining, etc., and I can always book day trips out to other areas.

Thoughts?

And packing up and moving takes a good chunk from a day. A day trip by coach to Stonehenge, Bath and possibly Windsor Castle is easy with a firm like this (there are others) http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours/subcategory/stonehenge-tours.id12.html

They also do Stonehenge, Bath, Stratford & the Cotswolds as a day trip.

Don't forget Liberty, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and Fenwick to name but a few.

Hampton Court and Kew Gardens are also a good day out as is, in the other direction down river, Greenwich and The Cutty Sark.

Edit: Think about taking the girls to see a show one evening.

Edited by Bob++

And packing up and moving takes a good chunk from a day. A day trip by coach to Stonehenge, Bath and possibly Windsor Castle is easy with a firm like this (there are others) http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours/subcategory/stonehenge-tours.id12.html

They also do Stonehenge, Bath, Stratford & the Cotswolds as a day trip.

Don't forget Liberty, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and Fenwick to name but a few.

Hampton Court and Kew Gardens are also a good day out as is, in the other direction down river, Greenwich and The Cutty Sark.

Edit: Think about taking the girls to see a show one evening.

Premium Tours has a US toll free number. I called to inquiry about their Downton Abbey and Oxford tour and she gave me a North America discount, prices are going up for the summer. They can pick you up from certain London hotels to their coaches at Victoria Coach Station, they do not return you to your hotel after the tour.

You did not say when you are going, if August-Sept, they might be interested in Buckingham Palace stateroom tours, http://www.royalcollection.org.uk

Can't imagine why anyone, especially someone with a family would want to move during a three night stay.

London is one of the most wonderful cities in the world for the theatre, music arts and nowadays for food. I'm sure you can find four days worth of stimulateing activities in London without doing the day long BUS trips.

Enjoy!

For 4 days I would be tempted to just stay put - either in London or the Cotswolds.

Since you don't want to do much in London maybe a day trip in would work. Shopping in the morning, tea in the afternoon, and end they day by seeing a show (I agree with seeing Wicked. Both my 18yo daughter and 16yo son loved it.).

I know Stonehenge gets all the publicity but we spent a wonderful late afternoon visiting the stones in Avebury. Most of our day was taken up by seeing Bath first and then hitting this area on our way back "home." We had a nice dinner outside at the Red Lion Pub. As for the stones, unlike Stonehenge, you can actually walk around and touch them. We have great pics that include the sheep that are kept in the area.

Whatever you decide I do hope you enjoy your trip!

Kristen

The OP says "While in England, I would like to visit the Cotswolds area, and my daughter must see Stonehenge."

A holiday has to cater for everyone in the group.

I would add that sightseeing in London can be hard work. Taking a day off to be transported in some comfort to places you have only read about is a good way to have a rest from those hard pavements.

Edited by Bob++

Can't imagine why anyone, especially someone with a family would want to move during a three night stay.

London is one of the most wonderful cities in the world for the theatre, music arts and nowadays for food. I'm sure you can find four days worth of stimulateing activities in London without doing the day long BUS trips.

Enjoy!

Its actually four nights, and the reason for considering moving would be to absorb some of the other culture England has to offer besides London life. We've traveled fairly extensively, and for the most part, a city is a city is a city. Also, I have been to London a couple of times already. As I mentioned, we do not intend to do any museums, etc., and have plans to see an opera while in Sicily, so will most likely not do any theater in London either.

However, to your point, I am still not sure about moving. If we had a car, it would be a no-brainer and I would definitely spend a couple of days elsewhere. But.... driving on the left side of the road does not appeal to either me or my husband. So, having no familiarity with towns in the areas I am interested in, I don't want to feel "stranded" either. For that reason, I feel I will probably opt to just stay in London and do day trips.

• 2 months later...
Its actually four nights, and the reason for considering moving would be to absorb some of the other culture England has to offer besides London life. We've traveled fairly extensively, and for the most part, a city is a city is a city. Also, I have been to London a couple of times already. As I mentioned, we do not intend to do any museums, etc., and have plans to see an opera while in Sicily, so will most likely not do any theater in London either.

However, to your point, I am still not sure about moving. If we had a car, it would be a no-brainer and I would definitely spend a couple of days elsewhere. But.... driving on the left side of the road does not appeal to either me or my husband. So, having no familiarity with towns in the areas I am interested in, I don't want to feel "stranded" either. For that reason, I feel I will probably opt to just stay in London and do day trips.

Have you thought about doing the "Ceremony of the Keys" held at the Tower of London at night time? Tickets are free, but they are limited and you need to request them ahead of time. This was a different and interesting experience.

We had a nice dinner at the Counting House and then took the tube one stop away to the Tower.

Diane

You might want to consider renting a self-catering flat. We did this and were happy we did. It gave a bit of room to spread out and had a washer /dryer so we were able to do laundry which saved on packing.

We saved a TON of money by having breakfast in the flat each morning, and I actually cooked some dinners (we were there two weeks though.)

There are loads of them in the South Kensington area walking distance to Hyde Park, Harrods, and Kensignton Palace as well as the Victoria and Albert Museum and so much more.