Boston Pre-Cruise Ideas

PastorD2

DW and I are planning a July 3rd cruise for 40th anniversary and we would like to fly in and spend day and half sightseeing in Boston before sailing.

Currently thinking to arrive by noon or 1 pm and do a harbor cruise that afternoon (#1 goal = lighthouse views). Then on our full day do a trolley tour where we can get on and off to check out the sights.

I have the Hyatt Boston Harbor at the top of the lodging list b/c of it being near the airport and easy access to water ferry across to the sights.

Background: We are in our early 60's and from North Carolina. Though we hope to get back to Boston in the future, we realize that may not happen so we want to see and do all we can in a short amount of time.

Questions: Does this sound reasonable? What am I missing? Are there other hotels that I should consider? What would you add to the "to do" list?

Thanks to earlier postings I have seen our various transportation options to the cruise port. And thanks in advance for feedback and thoughts, I value them all.

DW and I are planning a July 3rd cruise for 40th anniversary and we would like to fly in and spend day and half sightseeing in Boston before sailing.

Currently thinking to arrive by noon or 1 pm and do a harbor cruise that afternoon (#1 goal = lighthouse views). Then on our full day do a trolley tour where we can get on and off to check out the sights.

I have the Hyatt Boston Harbor at the top of the lodging list b/c of it being near the airport and easy access to water ferry across to the sights.

Background: We are in our early 60's and from North Carolina. Though we hope to get back to Boston in the future, we realize that may not happen so we want to see and do all we can in a short amount of time.

Questions: Does this sound reasonable? What am I missing? Are there other hotels that I should consider? What would you add to the "to do" list?

Thanks to earlier postings I have seen our various transportation options to the cruise port. And thanks in advance for feedback and thoughts, I value them all.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I don't think if Boston Harbor as being a lighthouse attraction, but apparently there are several. I would research that more closely to be sure it's worth spending your short amount if time doing it. When you sail out of the harbor on the cruise ship, you will sail through some of the same area that the lighthouse cruise will go through.

The prepaid rate for the Hyatt its reasonable for your dates. I believe the round trip water taxi rate to Long Wharf is $17, but you won't be paying for a taxi to your hotel. If you can manage your luggage, you can get to the port for free from the airport on the Silver Line. However, the cab rate to the port should be around $25.

If hotel cost is a concern, there is currently a 4* Waterfront area hotel near the pier on Hotwire for $168 ($200 with tax) for your dates. This would put you in one if the hotels closest to the pier - Normalky I woud guess the Westin Waterfront, but something tells me this offering is the Seaport or Renaissance. The only other possibility is the Residece Inn. All these hotels are very nice and within a long block of a Silver line station for easy public transit access. They also have access to waterfront restaurants, which you won't have at the Hyatt

Edited by 138east

This is for anyone but especially Carol,

After more thought and reading I am considering using hotwire to get a hotel near the cruise terminal. Based on the "free internet" listed on the hotwire offering and looking at the three hotels in the waterfront area, it should be the Seaport hotel since that is the only one of the three that mentions "free internet" on the website.

Question: What is the ranking that you would give between the three hotels? What is the good and bad with the Seaport?

Thanks again!

All the hotels are 4*. I've stayed a couple of times at the Seaport. One of my friends has stayed at the Renaissance. Many cruisers have Hotwired the Westin and stayed there. The only other possibility is the Residence Inn and I've never heard of anyone getting that. All four hotels are 100% acceptable and the Hotwire price is usually outstanding compared to other Boston hotel prices.

The Seaport is the closest hotel to the Silver Line World Trade Center stop and is the most accessible via public transit from the airport (free). Coming from the airport you can get off at the outside street World Trade Center stop, walk a half block, cross the street, and you are at the main hotel entrance. Directions would be a little different for the Westin to minimize walking. Google Boston Waterfront restaurants to see the selection of eateries, most of which are within easy walking distance from the hotel.

Honestly I don't think it matters which hotel you get. All the hotels are relatively new properties built within the last 15 years. They cater primarily to a business and convention crowd and are not only the nicest but also the closest hotels to Black Falcon Terminal and the airport. Any price $200 or less is a steal.

Edited by 138east

138 has done the best again with hotel and transportation recommendations in Boston. There is way too much to see in Boston to waste it trying to see lighthouses. Hopefully, you're calling Portland, because this is the best place to see lighthouses in New England (slightly biased, of course). You'll see more lighthouses in a shorter period than you could in Boston. I love Boston, and love that nearly everything is within walking distance (I'm 60ish as well).

138 has done the best again with hotel and transportation recommendations in Boston. There is way too much to see in Boston to waste it trying to see lighthouses. Hopefully, you're calling Portland, because this is the best place to see lighthouses in New England (slightly biased, of course). You'll see more lighthouses in a shorter period than you could in Boston. I love Boston, and love that nearly everything is within walking distance (I'm 60ish as well).

A few years ago we did a New England Lighthouse Trip (self directed) by flying in and out of Boston. We went both south and north (as far as Bath) and saw 57 lighthouses in one week (mostly boat tours). We just ran out of time and missed the 4 or 5 in the Boston harbor area and wanted to get them on our "seen it" list. But I am having a hard time finding a boat tour mid-week so we may have to see what we see sailing out on the cruise ship.

And b/c we want to see Boston I am opting for lodging closer in town to cut down on "wasted time" with public transportation.

Thanks again for the advice and guidance.

Just booked through Hotwire for $167 per night (2 nights) and got the Seaport Hotel.

Guess I have 3 options on how to get from Logan to the hotel.

1) Taxi - most expensive, guessing about $25, but needed if luggage is an issue.

2) Water Taxi - not sure of costs or how much of an issue luggage is.

3) SL1 to World Trade Center Station and walk 2 blocks to hotel at no costs if I can handle the luggage.

Sounds like I can catch one of the "on and off" trolley tours near the hotel to see the tourist sites.

Then can I catch public transportation to cruise terminal or should I get a taxi?

Just booked through Hotwire for $167 per night (2 nights) and got the Seaport Hotel.

Guess I have 3 options on how to get from Logan to the hotel.

1) Taxi - most expensive, guessing about $25, but needed if luggage is an issue.

2) Water Taxi - not sure of costs or how much of an issue luggage is.

3) SL1 to World Trade Center Station and walk 2 blocks to hotel at no costs if I can handle the luggage.

Sounds like I can catch one of the "on and off" trolley tours near the hotel to see the tourist sites.

Then can I catch public transportation to cruise terminal or should I get a taxi?

Congratulations on getting the Seaport! Taxi from the airport is about $25. Water taxi is out. It's expensive, harder to get to at Logan, and doesn't really take you where you need to go.

The Silver Line leaves from the lower baggage claim area at terminals A, B,and C and from out front at Terminal E. There is one step up onto the bus - no worse than a rental car bus. Most buses on this route have luggage racks. The trick is to get on the far rear door for more space and easier luggage rack access. You get off at the World Trade Center street stop and walk to the corner in the direction the bus is going, cross the street, and the hotel entrance is straight ahead on your left. From the WTC station the Silver Line SL2 bus services Black Falcon Terminal and stops across the street from the terminal entrance.

I've done this trip many times with luggage. My company has offices in World Trade Center and I actually worked there for several years. For my cruise in Jan I took the commuter rail and T to World Trade, worked all day, and took the T back to South Station to take Amtrak to NJ. I had a 20" rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack. The only problem was that it's quite a hike from the T station to the far end of the World Trade building out on the pier, so getting from the Silver Line street stop around the corner into the Seaport Hotel seems like a piece of cake to me.

Here's a website to explore - http://subwaynut.com/mbta/silver_line/world_trade_center/index.php

138East;

I recognize your familiarity with the Boston transportation system, but I've seen where the Seaport Hotel advertises a water taxi from Logan directly to their pier, with discounts for guests. Has this suspended service?

And I would recommend a cab from the hotel to Black Falcon at about $10, right?

Edited by chengkp75

I don't know the cost of a water taxi from Logan to the Seaport. The reality is that you have to get your stuff on a shuttle bus to get to the water taxi dock at the airport. Then you have to get it on the boat. The taxi docks at World Trade Center somewhere and you have to get your luggage up to the street level - probably some sort of ramp access. If the dock is on the far side of the Trade Center (which is the location I've taken a water taxi from), it's almost two blocks to the lobby of the Seaport hotel. IMO it's much simpler and closer to take the Silver Line and it's free!

Taxi to Black Falcon is about $10. If folks have used the Silver Line during their stay, they will know whether it will work for them to get to the pier. Both taxis and the Silver Line drop off in front of the terminal.

I don't know the cost of a water taxi from Logan to the Seaport. The reality is that you have to get your stuff on a shuttle bus to get to the water taxi dock at the airport. Then you have to get it on the boat. The taxi docks at World Trade Center somewhere and you have to get your luggage up to the street level - probably some sort of ramp access. If the dock is on the far side of the Trade Center (which is the location I've taken a water taxi from), it's almost two blocks to the lobby of the Seaport hotel. IMO it's much simpler and closer to take the Silver Line and it's free!

Taxi to Black Falcon is about $10. If folks have used the Silver Line during their stay, they will know whether it will work for them to get to the pier. Both taxis and the Silver Line drop off in front of the terminal.

Thanks, once again advertising hype outperforms real life.

Probably will plan to take the SL1 bus from airport to Seaport Hotel (unless I just can't manage the luggage).

And since bus fare would be just over $5 for two people and taxi is only about $10 or so, I will probably grab a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Thanks again for all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

It is a good price I can see that but they also asked for things to do the 1 thing op wanted posters said bad idea but never gave an alternative. On July 3rd after settling in they could go see the Boston pops rehearsal along with a major act. The pru and boston public library always have a free exhibit during the 4th week. It's a Friday so check out fun free Fridays they may have a cruise day you never know. My personal favorite place to go in town is the state house and then a short walk to Faneuil hall for lunch a beverage then along the way the old north church. The op is from NC not familiar with the area the thread was awesome for sleeping now let's give them some sights Laurab23 I also like the jfk library

The OP is sailing July 3. It appears they will fly in July 1 and spend July 2 sightseeing in Boston.

This is correct. Our flight arrives around 11 am on July 1 so I hope we have most of Wednesday afternoon for touring the city and/or harbor as well as all day Thursday before we get on the ship around noon on Friday.

We would appreciate ideas and suggestions for our day and a half of sightseeing. Thanks in advance! It has been helpful so far.

OP

There are harbor tours that focus on the lighthouses.

Boston Harbor Cruises does one, but I think it's only on weekends. There's also a lighthouse tour connected with UMass/Boston. I think you can even visit Boston Light on Little Brewster Island. One of the lighthouses is being renovated into a house (with no driveway to shovel!); it was featured recently on This Old House. I don't know if you can visit, as it's privately owned.

If you want a lighthouse tour, you may be able to find one, so I would suggest that you don't give up on the idea yet. You might try contacting Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area (National Park Service), Boston Harbor Cruises, and the maritime ops department at UMass/Boston for information and recommendations.