How is the Sun for a first AK cruise

1Bear

I am thinking of cruising on the Sun for our first AK cruise. It goes from Vancouver BC to Seward. I have been reading some reviews and a few mention that it needs refurbishing and shows wear. I like the ports, the dates and the price is good for a balcony. What do others that have been on it think? Should I spend more and go with another company for a newer ship? I must say it will probably be the only time we cruise AK. Thanks for your input.

I think Sun would be great for Alaska. The observation lounge is a great place to see the beautiful scenery, especially if is cold out. Additionally there is an open bow facing large balcony just outside the lounge from which one camps take great unobstructed pictures. That is sometimes an issue with other ships where there are tall glass windbreaks that make photography difficult. Lastly, Sun has the two best balcony staterooms in the fleet. You'll have to do some research to figure out which ones they are....can't give away all the secrets:rolleyes::D but they usually sell out fast!

The Sun is a great ship. I was on her this past November in a mid ship balcony, sailing out of Tampa. The food was uniformly good in all the venues and the crew is wonderful. She is a ship for grown ups, not that kids won't have fun on her, but she does not have all the bells and whistles of the more modern cruise ships. If you are looking for water parks and wall climbing then the Sun is not for you. On the other hand if you are looking for an elegant, yet comfortable ship, with a full promenade, roomy decks, a great outdoors at the aft of the ship, a terrific lounge at the bow, glass elevators, and the roomiest balcony cabins and mini suites in the NCL fleet then she is the right choice.

Is she good for Alaska? Well, I think so. In fact I'm booked for MY first Alaska cruise on her in May. And I have what I believe is one of those great cabins Clay Clayton was referring to, an aft mini suite. If you can, take a look at some of the videos of it on You Tube. The cabin is huge, just like Alaska! ;)

Good to know it is still a good ship to go on. I searched on more thanone place and saw those poor reviews about looking old, needing to be refurbished and even poor food, except in the specialty restaurants. It does not have to be sparkling new or have things like rock climbing for us. No kids and would prefer a quieter laid back effect. Fun is o.k. but not blaring speakers all the time. One Carnival ship we went on was way too loud and had a total party atmosphere, but that was in the Caribbean. It is still a lot of money to spend and I don't want to make a bad choice. We plan on being at the ports for as long as possible and will likely be tired at the end of the day anyway. Thanks for the helpful comments.

I am thinking of cruising on the Sun for our first AK cruise. It goes from Vancouver BC to Seward. I have been reading some reviews and a few mention that it needs refurbishing and shows wear. I like the ports, the dates and the price is good for a balcony. What do others that have been on it think? Should I spend more and go with another company for a newer ship? I must say it will probably be the only time we cruise AK. Thanks for your input.

Here is my opinion on what you are reading and the Sun. It is only an opinion remember. She is one of NCLs oldest ships and though she has been dry docked more than once, of course whe isn't going to look like, say, the Breakaway or one of the newer ones, but she is also a favorite of many NCL cruisers. No, she isn't a wow type of ship but we have sailed her 3 times, the last time a little over a year ago, we would love to sail her to Alaska. The people are friendly the crew outstanding and the cabins a little larger than most cabins.

As long as she isn't in awful shape, the important thing to remember about cruising to Alaska, , like Hawaii it is a port intensive cruise and you are cruising to see Alaska, more than crusing to see the ship. Don't pay a lot of attention to the negative reviews, people are more inclined to talk about what they didn't like. Most of us expect everything to be perfect so we don't tell the world about the good, but we do notice the bad.

Go, enjoy and don't let a couple of comments about outdated carpet or rust on the balcony bother you.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The Sun is a nice peaceful relaxed ship. We've cruised her 4 or 5 times. She's a smaller ship, and as others said, no bells and whistles. But the good features have already been mentioned and they are all correct. "Showing her age" doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. She just doesn't sparkle with all the excitement of the new builds like the Getaway. All wear cosmetic items and her cleanliness are just fine. We've done the Alaska cruise twice. However, we did the Seattle round trip, on both the Jewel and Pearl. However you do it, you won't be wrong.

We've been to Alaska on her twice, and she was the ship that hooked us on NCL. I think she and her wonderful itinerary are perfect for Alaska.

There are forward-facing balcony rooms on the top deck (oops, that might be a secret) that will give you an awesome view. There are also some balcony rooms on the stern that are super popular. Now, if you can afford a minisuite, those cabins are larger than minisuites on the newer NCL ships, and my favorites are on the stern (they are even laeger than the others).

Are you able to actually see land when you cruise the inside passage on the Sun in Alaska? On princess they say they cruise the inside passage but are too far out in the water to see anything (this is on the Whittier to Vancouver voyage).

And I have what I believe is one of those great cabins Clay Clayton was referring to, an aft mini suite. If you can, take a look at some of the videos of it on You Tube. The cabin is huge, just like Alaska! ;)

Those are great cabins too, but what I said was one of the two best BALCONY staterooms, so even though similar in size and with a better bathroom, those aren't them.;)

Are you able to actually see land when you cruise the inside passage on the Sun in Alaska? On princess they say they cruise the inside passage but are too far out in the water to see anything (this is on the Whittier to Vancouver voyage).

We saw land when we sailed the inside passage....we were on X but still saw land.

We did Alaska on the Star a few years ago and we definitely saw land while cruising the inside passage. The water was like glass and the trees come right down to the water. Just amazing.

We have an aft mini booked on the Sun for September and we're super excited. We're taking my dad for his first cruise ever, so he has a midship oceanview. I'm hoping he doesn't get seasick!

I'm really looking forward to viewing Glacier Bay from my balcony out of the wind and I really wanted to see the observation area before they stuff it full of suites. We did the Breakaway on her second trip to Bermuda and concluded while very nice, the ship was just too big for our tastes. I'm very interested to see how the smaller Sun experience compares.

Jen

We sailed on a southbound last summer on the Sun and had an excellent time. Had previously sailed Alaska twice on Princess, one Seattle round trip and one northbound. On the Sun we had an aft balcony and the soot issues were at least disappointing... but we still managed to have a great time and enjoyed incredible views. We saw seals, orcas and hump backs (don't forget binoculars). Because the back of the ship is curved you actually see more than 180 degrees.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. The Sun sounds good. I like the itinerary and price. I was talking to an online travel agent and must say that I was getting steered toward the Princess line. Supposed to be the best in AK. They are expensive. Maybe they get a higher commission?

Anyway, I was wondering if those kinds of online cruise travel agents can book any room in the ship or do they only have a group of rooms that they bought from NCL to book? They had some good percs. Should I go straight to NCL to book?

I want a balcony for the first time, but I would be bummed if I got one where I would get soot on me like the poster above mentioned! Is one side of the ship better for views for the Vancouver to Seward trip? I appreciate the info. on the rooms because I don't have a clue which ones would be better!