Freedom Room 1864

thebooth

I have 1814 booked for a future cruise on Freedom.

I'm also concerned about you comment on closet and cabinet space since we booked it as a quad.

If you have any photos of cabin, I would love to see them.

Thank you.

~ Judy

Trying again!

CLOSET2.jpg.ae833c50e4088da23a001778cdf11894.jpg

637927561_ENTRYHALLWAY2.jpg.75358bdbacd03063e29a6717feed1bb5.jpg

285239730_ROOMBEDNOWINDOW2.jpg.03ec8864ce0a9e9988fd4bc6318ad898.jpg

1302516998_ROOMVIEWLABADEE2.jpg.d507a780c2989ab07c38d11bc72d7b15.jpg

Edited by Tagsalong

Thanks for the picture. Have this room May 17th. Think im gonna like it! Looking at ur window right now on the Galveston cam. Wave,,,,

Not sure if the photo Blaise posted is 1864 or 1814, but I'm assuming you're booked in 1814 on May 17? Since we are booked in 1864 on May 17!

Yes, be concerned! I can only attach the thumbnail size pictures so hope you can see the closet. The left side of the cabinet was shelves, the right side was for hanging things. For the two of us, and me living out of my suitcase - except for my suit, it was OK. The spectacular views out from the panoramic windows made up for this deficiency - in our opinion. I just don't see how four pax in this room will find room for all of their clothes.

You can see the TV on the wall above the couch in the second picture.

Thank you so much for the pictures. I was able to click on all the thumbnails and see the larger images. Other than the panoramic view, I am very disappointed in what I saw. Very limited storage areas. Very small desk area. TV virtually unviewable from the sofa. Looks like they removed features/furniture from this cabin (compared to 1864) to make it accessible.

I guess I'm spoiled. Since my husband started needing an accessible cabin, we've only stayed in JS 1328 on Liberty - great cabin with lots of storage and space. The JS on Freedom was already booked and I was hoping not to spend as much. But, after seeing all your pictures, I'm not sure I can spend 7 days in 1814 with hubby and two 15 year old boys.

~ Judy

Not sure if the photo Blaise posted is 1864 or 1814, but I'm assuming you're booked in 1814 on May 17? Since we are booked in 1864 on May 17!

I'm on Navigator, your on Freedom, correct? I hope so!!:eek: I was only following this thread cuz of room 1864. Happy sailing!!

Edited by SWTSKY

Thank you so much for the pictures. I was able to click on all the thumbnails and see the larger images. Other than the panoramic view, I am very disappointed in what I saw. Very limited storage areas. Very small desk area. TV virtually unviewable from the sofa. Looks like they removed features/furniture from this cabin (compared to 1864) to make it accessible....

~ Judy

I (dw of Tagsalong) am pretty sure that you would find 1814 not comfortable for you and dh and 2 teenagers. The lack of storage would really be a problem. The only drawer at the desk is one tiny vanity drawer though there are shelves in the cabinet on the right side. Seems the refrigerator takes over too much valuable real estate space. The hanging side of the closet is totally insufficient even for one person. The corner of the bed is less than five inches from the window which makes it extremely difficult to get in or out. Another difference that may or may not be important: there is no automatic entry door as they have on other Royal accessible cabins.

The views from the room are unbelievable though, which is a tradeoff to the fact that the gym is directly under this cabin and the spinning classes with music can go rather late. Also, be aware that the pitching and yawing of the ship is much, much more evident in these deck 12 cabins.

gadaboutgal - thank you for your post. Yes, it looks like the negatives far outweigh the great view. And I never considered the possibility that we would be hearing music from the gym! That would definitely bother my husband.

I guess I will have to look at other options. It's hard to find a quad HC, let alone finding one for Thanksgiving at this late date. Initially I had considered a quad HC OV on Oasis but didn't care for its deck 3 location. Then I saw 1814 and thought its location on deck 12 looked great.

Now the Oasis HC OV is gone. I'll have to check around on the other ships and see what is left. If I can't get a quad, maybe I can get an adjoining cabin for the boys.

I'm so disappointed.

~ Judy

In 1864 we never experienced noise from the gym. I can imagine noise from the deck above if chairs are being drug around, but didn't hear any of that either. Part of the reason may be because they don't have a large number of chairs up there. It's a big space now, and they haven't filled it up with loungers yet. Also can get pretty windy up there.

That closet is ridiculously small (even for a cruise ship). While I applaud the effort to create more HC staterooms, doing so at the expense of cabin quality is not cool.

^ This.

Ridiculously small closet = uncool

Small desktop with limited storage = uncool

5" clearance between window and side of bed at foot = uncool

Removal of upholstered chair in seating area = uncool

Placement of TV on wall behind sofa = stupid!

1814 on the Navigator is 27sf larger than on Freedom. While not a huge difference, I wonder if that extra footage enabled NOTS to maintain cabin quality while making it accessible.

~ Judy

A few more pictures of 1864:

DSC01453_zps0xtbeheu.jpg

DSC01456_zps1xg2jjjq.jpg

DSC01457_zpsawgzngcx.jpg

DSC01484_zpslxm2c9jb.jpg

DSC01525_zpsi9c0fp7t.jpg

Great pics, very helpful. Was the closet incredibly small, as reported in 1814? I have to imagine that they are the same design (although 1814 could be modified some for extra room since it is HA). Booked in this room for August and as a family of four - with a tendency to overpack (and are spending 6 nights in Disney World prior to the crusie) - a lack of storage space is potentially a cause for concern. After spending a week in the room, what are your overall impressions?

Edited by mcd2745

Thanks for all the great pics Blaise. I can't complain about a thing. To get a room of that sizes with those windows and that view - I will take it!

There's always something to complain about on a ship, but not often do you have a room to rave about with space and windows like this.

Thx

Great pics, very helpful. Was the closet incredibly small, as reported in 1814? I have to imagine that they are the same design (although 1814 could be modified some for extra room since it is HA). Booked in this room for August and as a family of four - with a tendency to overpack (and are spending 6 nights in Disney World prior to the crusie) - a lack of storage space is potentially a cause for concern. After spending a week in the room, what are your overall impressions?

The closet appears different than the pics posted for 1814. There's a standard door going in and the shelves extend far to the left, but you have to reach to use them, because it becomes too narrow to stand over there. We had adequate storage for 2, but it does seem like less than we've had in other cabins.

All the extra space is dedicated to the bed and couch area. Remember, it's a pie shape, so it's very narrow at the door end. I wonder if it's actually much larger, on the whole, than a large balcony room. There's a good bit of unused space between the couch and window. So, in a pinch you could work out of a suitcase there. Otherwise, it seems like a chair or something with drawers is called for over there.

As I've said, it seemed we could feel more movement up here. The closet door rattled some nights, and I closed a hand towel in it to stop that. As others have said, there's not much space between the window and the corner of the bed. Bathroom is small and short of counter & shelf space, so you might consider the hanging pocket organizer trick on the door.

Overall impressions, though, are good. There's a real wow factor to the room. So much so that we struggled with whether or not we'd prefer it over a balcony.

Oh, one other thing. Don't dress too near the windows when they are open. You can see into the wings of the bridge (and vice versa). Not usually a problem except when docking.

Thanks for posting these great pictures of Freedom 1864 Blaise. My comments are bolded below.

The closet appears different than the pics posted for 1814. There's a standard door going in and the shelves extend far to the left, but you have to reach to use them, because it becomes too narrow to stand over there. We had adequate storage for 2, but it does seem like less than we've had in other cabins.

In addition to your closet being larger, the desk area of 1864 looks substantially larger than 1814 and appears to have the bank of drawers that was removed from 1814.

All the extra space is dedicated to the bed and couch area. Remember, it's a pie shape, so it's very narrow at the door end. I wonder if it's actually much larger, on the whole, than a large balcony room. There's a good bit of unused space between the couch and window. So, in a pinch you could work out of a suitcase there. Otherwise, it seems like a chair or something with drawers is called for over there.

From your pictures, it sure looks larger than a large balcony cabin. 1864 on the Navigator does actually have a nice upholstered armchair over by the window. Don't know if Navigator removed chair on 1814.

As I've said, it seemed we could feel more movement up here. The closet door rattled some nights, and I closed a hand towel in it to stop that. As others have said, there's not much space between the window and the corner of the bed. Bathroom is small and short of counter & shelf space, so you might consider the hanging pocket organizer trick on the door.

From the pictures I've seen of Navigator 1864, they used some of the extra 27sf of space for more bed clearance. There's a great panoramic shot of it at https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AU532ODWtiszmz;5CD1A27F-3868-42C2-8E47-383E75C5CC92

Overall impressions, though, are good. There's a real wow factor to the room. So much so that we struggled with whether or not we'd prefer it over a balcony.

Your photos really captured that wow factor! And, considering Freedom classifies 1864 in with F oceanviews (versus Navigator's higher P1 category), the lower price should add to that wow factor.

Oh, one other thing. Don't dress too near the windows when they are open. You can see into the wings of the bridge (and vice versa). Not usually a problem except when docking.

And you definitely don't want to distract the bridge personnel when they're docking!

:eek:;):D

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

There are 3 wide drawers on the left side of the desk. To the right, over the fridge, there is a cabinet of shelves.

My speculation on the square footage is based on the fact that the closet, bathroom, and approach to the main living space are larger in a standard cabin. If you redistributed the space this cabin might not be larger, or too much larger. It certainly gives the impression of a JS, though.

Looks like the room on the Nav does have a bit more space between the bed and window.

Don't worry, you can't see the bridge while lying in the bed :)

is there only the one ty on that middle wall that rotates or one on both sides? Thanks in advance :-)

Just one. That's why it rotates. The one on the Nav doesn't look like it rotates and may have two.

Appreciate all the pics and info you have provided. Can't wait to be in this room in August!

Just want to give a thank you to CC members Tagsalong, gadaboutgal and Blaise - your pictures and posts helped me make the decision to give up cabin 1814. I wound up jumping ship and got a very good deal on a Thanksgiving cruise on Navigator (put a hold on 2 adjoining cabins yesterday while they were still offering the OBC and transferred reservation today when I saw the new "sale" offered none.). A lot of categories on NOTS Thanksgiving cruise are at their lowest price, even below 5/1/14 real BOGO sale prices, while FOTS remain high. I really liked the Freedom and hope I can put the savings towards a future FOTS cruise now that the new itineraries are out.

So a heads up for anyone needing an accessible cabin, FOTS #1814 is now available for this Thanksgiving. Just make sure you read this thread and are aware of the pros and cons.

~ Judy

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been on Freedom 1864 lately?

I have it booked but became concerned after reading some of the negative feedback about it - tv placement, lack of storage etc.

I want to be sure before I give it up as it seems not to be available to book on hardly any future cruises - it either says sold out or is very $$.

I know some of that negative feedback was about 1814, can anyone confirm or post more pictures of Freedom 1864?

Thank you so much!!!