Tahitian Princess 1/26/07

laurieb

laying by the pool at the IC is not a bad thing! we have never conseidered ourselves resort people, but we loved this place! the pools and grounds are so beautiful and relaxing, and the rooms are very comfortable. we stayed in regular ocean view room, it was very nice! we have rebooked for January of 08, hopefully that will work out for us. I am really going to miss this cruise!

Welcome Dot73,

Glad to see you decided to book on Princess. I have read several of your posts on the Pacific Island board and look forward to meeting you. We will be on the Jan 16th and this one. I don't blame you for booking catagory GG. You will enjoy the BTB more than a balcony. We have been cruising for 26 years and find it addicting. A wonderful way to meet people and once all the excursions are planned you are able to sit back a truly relax.

Wow a whole month off, what a way to destress! Lucky youl

Cindy

I look forward to meeting you Cindy. I am so looking forward to this trip. I have never taken more than two weeks off work before. My last cruise was in February 2005 - a 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise on HAL Ryndam. I've been saving for this one ever since that time and won't be going anywhere in 2006. I checked tody with my TA to see how much a better cabin would cost -- almost $1,800 for the two cruises. As that will buy all my excursions and a lot of martinis, I decided to stick with the cheap room. I'm already paying through the nose for the single supplement. From reading the posts, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of solo travellers on the TP. I usually don't have trouble making friends and hopefully this cruise will be no different. Only eight more months to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Dot73--welcome to our group and happy 49th birthday. Having to pay a single supplement would be pricey. Although there aren't many singles, I'm sure you'll have no trouble making friends. We're also doing BTB, but the cruise prior to this one also. You can celebrate turning 50 aboard ( We both passed that a while back) while we celebrate 35 years of marriage. The actual date is 12-18-06, but too busy with Xmas to go then.

Thank you for the welcome, MuscleGrandma. I'll be celebrating my 49th birthday tomorrow and am looking forward to 2007 and my 50th. I will definitely be celebrating early on the TP. 35 years of marriage -- congratulations. It takes a lot of hard work to make a marriage work for such a long time. My parents will be celebrating their 50th next week. I kind of figured there wouldn't be too many solo travellers on this cruise. I'm not too worried about meeting people as cruisers tend to be friendly people who happily "adopt" solo travellers. If you, or other cc'ers, are planning any independent excursions, i.e. renting a car or boat, I would be happy to join and share expenses. I've been reading Jan Prince's book on Polynesia and there certainly is a lot to see and experience. I have a feeling this will be the best vacation I have ever taken. Only seven months and 24 days to go!!!

Hello to everyone on TP 1/26; just thought we'd check in, nice to see more people are joing in, Chuck and I just returned home from the Regal on a 26 day Canal and Alaska cruise; had a terrrific time; hello to Dot 73 and Tug Boat Guy. as I said before we haven't been to Tahiti since 93 or so; looking forward to returning and would appreciate any advice re beaches, tours, etc.

Kay

• 4 weeks later...

Our roll call has gone down way to the bottom so I'd thught I would bump it up. Only six months and 23 days to go. I have now booked my entire trip. I will be flying out to LAX on the 20th and flying out to Tahiti on ANZ on the 21st. I have a free Air Canada flight to LAX so I thought I would break the trip up. Once I get to the InterContinental in Tahiti, I will just relax until the cruise starts. I have been doing a lot of reading about the islands. Jan Prince's book is excellent. As for excursions, I have sent an e-mail to Marc on Huahaine but he replied that it is too early to reserve. I definitely want to do the Aqua Safari excursion and will probably do that one through the ship. It sounds like there are lots of opportunities to book trips on shore at much lower prices. I am hoping to spend a lot of time either on a beach, snorkelling or sailing. I would like to do a land tour of Bora Bora. If anyone plans to rent a car and wouldn't mind an extra passenger to share the cost, I would love to join you. Being a solo traveller, I don't particularly like to go off by myself into an unknown area. Does anyone else have other ideas for excursions?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi-

We just sent out the message to our TA to book our cabins!

My husband and I are both turning 30 and celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary all in Jan 07 so we thought what better way to do it than in Tahiti! My parents are coming along and my husbands might be too (they're checking with work). We love princess (we were married on Caribbean Princess) and are so very excited about this trip. It's our first time to the South Pacific and can't wait to get in that water! We're booking air separately and are flying in 2 days early to stay at the Intercontinental. Sounds like several people have done this trip before, we're open to any advice you have for us "newbies"!

Hello, Kadiebug. I'm also staying at the IC prior to the cruise. I'm getting there on the 22nd. It sounds like a great place to relax prior to the cruise. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your family.

I saw a TV show on Tahiti today. Most people only see Papeete and are not too impressed with the island. This show, however, showed the island away from the town and it is quite beautiful and very lush. I will definitely sign up for a 4x4 excursion. The waterfall they showed was amazing. You can swim underneath it. At the IC, you can also rent their catamaran for a sail. It costs about $200 per hour so if a few people sign up, it won't be that expensive. They also offer snorkelling tours, a sunset cruise, a dolphin cruise, etc. I'm looking forward to taking out a kayak, which is free for an hour. Also, I'm planning a dinner at the Belvedere, which is a restaurant with a fabulous view. If you make a reservation, you get picked up at the hotel. From what I have been seeing on TV and reading, this will be an unforgettable holiday.

Hi all -

Lynn and Dave here - just trying to get the hang of this wonderful Cruise Critic Roll Call posting thing. Have enjoyed reading through the posts. We will be sailing on the TP 1/16 and staying on board for the next one as well. Another couple from here are coming along on the first 10 days but he's not yet retired so they have to come back home. Yesterday I celebrated b-day #63 and we've been married 41+ years - Dave traveled LOTS while working and retirement hasn't changed that at all. He's aiming for visiting 100 countries at least and we're getting close. We were on an "R-Boat" in early 2001 (Scandanavian Capitals) and booked a Tahitian cruise while on board that ship. Then 9-11 happened and the R-boats went out of service. We're so glad Princess saw fit to purchase some of them - they are such great ships! Looking forward to reading more posts.

Hello, Kadiebug. I'm also staying at the IC prior to the cruise. I'm getting there on the 22nd. It sounds like a great place to relax prior to the cruise. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your family.

I saw a TV show on Tahiti today. Most people only see Papeete and are not too impressed with the island. This show, however, showed the island away from the town and it is quite beautiful and very lush. I will definitely sign up for a 4x4 excursion. The waterfall they showed was amazing. You can swim underneath it. At the IC, you can also rent their catamaran for a sail. It costs about $200 per hour so if a few people sign up, it won't be that expensive. They also offer snorkelling tours, a sunset cruise, a dolphin cruise, etc. I'm looking forward to taking out a kayak, which is free for an hour. Also, I'm planning a dinner at the Belvedere, which is a restaurant with a fabulous view. If you make a reservation, you get picked up at the hotel. From what I have been seeing on TV and reading, this will be an unforgettable holiday.

Yes, I've heard nice things about the IC as well. We're arriving late on the 24th so are looking forward to a relaxing day on the 25th of snorkeling and maybe kayaking. Then, we'll rest up from our long trip so we're fresh to board the cruise on the 26th. Maybe we'll jump in the water again for a snorkel on the morning of the 26th. We're really looking forward to it. I've heard the food at this hotel is outrageous so we're preparing ourselves mentally for the sticker shock. :) Just under 6 months to go!

In order to save some money on food, I am planning to take Le Truck and go into town a couple of evenings to try the Roulette food trucks. Apparently, they serve some great food at good prices. You can get anything from hamburgers to chinese food. I am especially looking forward to trying the dessert crepes. I also read that they usually have bands playing there and you can have a great entertaining evening with the locals and absorb the culture. The Lotus restaurant at the IC apparently serves excellent food according to some of the books I've read. I might splurge on that if I don't buy too many souvenirs. Can't wait.

Ahoy and a hearty welcome to the new sailors who have joined us!

Just wanted to say we will be traveling in Europe for a couple of months so you won't be hearing from us for a while. We will check back in when we return. Don't forget us!

Have a wonderful summer everyone! Enjoy your planning for our Tahitian adventure!

Toot toot!

Tom and Suzy

Hi everyone,

I have not gone through and read the whole thread yet, I will this weekend, add us to the group. There are 3 os us, me my husband and daughter that will be cruising with you. I know we will get to know each other in the next couple of months. I am so excited, we have only done 3 other cruises so we are some what new but have enjoyed each one we have been on and a balcony this time I can't contain myself. We have done 2 carribean and 1 mexico cruise. We have 3 parrots and I was wondering if there are any other bird nuts on this cruise. As i said I will go through the thread soon and meet every one and hopefully we will all be good friends by January. We are Mary, Gary and Natasha (Natasha is a yourng adult at 18 and is looking forward to any cruise that mom and dad are paying for.)

See ya all later

Mary

Welcome aboard, Mary. Your daughter is a very lucky young woman to get to travel to such exotic place as Tahiti at such a young age. I have been dreaming of Tahiti for many, many years and I'm finally doing the trip as an early celebration for my 50th birthday.

Has anyone given any thoughts to any excursions. The Princess excursions are very expensive but apparently there are a lot of excursions you can buy from the locals in places like Bora Bora and Raiatea at lower pricess. I will definitely try and do Marc's picnic in Huahine. I have tried to book it already, but he has replied that he is making changes to his tours and won't be accepting reservations until later this year. I will keep an eye on his website. I am defintely going to do the Aqua Safari (probably through Princess) in Bora Bora. In Moorea, Dr. Poole's dolphin watching excursion sounds very interesting. Even if I don't see too many dolphins, apparently his excursion is very educational. I don't like seeing dolphins in captivity, so I think I will pass on the swimming with the dolphins excursion in Moorea. I would love to do a couple of catamaran sailings, one being a sunset cruise. Apparently, if we can get enough people to sign up, we could hire a catamaran for a sunset sail. I hope we make it to Roratonga. It sounds like a great place to pick up souvenirs at decent prices and is also a beautiful place for snorkelling. I am so glad that I am doing the btb excursions, as there are so many great things to do. It is no wonder that people keep taking these Tahiti cruises over and over. Only 5 months and 12 days to go!!!!:D

Yes Dot73 she has been to several Caribean ports as well, she is very spoiled and has everything we didn't have, but is fun to travel with. I have a couple of questions, how many scuba divers on this cruise and what are the best spots to scuba? I am a novice and we went to Anthonys key last year in Honduras, it was so wonderful. And if we come in a day early and stay later where is a good place to stay for not alot of $$$'s? I will be booking our air flight soon since have found that after the summer it is much cheaper. The hard part is the best/cheapest way to get to LA.

i hope more folks post here it is so much more fun when you know people before you get on the ship. This will be the first time for us on Princess. Is the alteranative dining good, sometimes I want something quick and don't want to dress for dinner and have found Celeberty was not real good at out of dining room experinece but Royal Carribean was great to this.

We haven't booked our air yet either. Last time we were on the TP, we booked our air in Sept, and got a pretty good deal, then the prices dropped in Oct and Nov. I'm not sure that I will be able to contain myself and wait that long.

We are planning on using ff miles to get to LA, and spend a couple of days with my brother and his family there. We loved Moorea, and are planning on staying there for 4 to 6 nights pre cruise-probably at the IC, but we haven't made any reservations yet. Last time we stayed at the Pearl for a few days, and we loved it, but wanted to be on the other part of the island this time.

French Polynesia is just so beautiful, and the people so gracious--we want to have time to fully enjoy it!

Mary, I am staying at the Intercontinental in Tahiti. Try their website for a price, as it was a lot lower than what Princess or my TA offered for the same hotel. If you just want a place to sleep, I read on the Pacific Islands board that there is a new motel right cross the street from the airport. I wouldn't wait too long to book a hotel. As for flights, check Air New Zealand. I was able to get a ticket directly from their website at a much lower price than Princess was offering. Only 5 months and 5 days to go.

By the way, are there any other solo travellers on this cruise or am I the only one?:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Only 138 days to go! Has anyone given any more thought to excursions? So far, I have booked the all-day excursion with Frank in Raiatea. I will definitely book with Marc in Huahine when he is accepting reservations. Does anyone know when the Princess excursions become available to be booked online?

Hello to all TP cruisers on 1/26; we've been out of circulation for a while, actually out playing at other adventures, but now we're home again; looks like the group is growing, would appreciate anymore info you might have re tours, who's done what (if anything) etc.

Chuck and Kay Russell

We finally booked our air and hotel this morning. We are flying on Air Tahiti Nui, and staying at the IC Moorea for 5 nights precruise, then 1 night at the IC in Papeete post cruise. We haven't stayed at either of these properties, but they look really nice, and have gotten some good reviews. I still have to book our flights to LA and back. We are going to spend a couple of days with my brother's family before we fly to Tahiti.

I haven't even started to think about excursions yet--I guess that is next!

Archived