Do Uniworld prepaid gratuities include tour guides?

hiccups

While I thought we'd decided on Avalon for our Basel-Amsterdam cruise, DH likes the idea of Uniworld's inclusive pricing. The person I spoke with at Uniworld said the gratuities include those given to tour/excursion guides and drivers, but the Travel Companion pamphlet isn't clear on that. Can any past Uniworld travelers clarify?

Yes, tips to tour/excursion guides are included. No one was looking for a extra tip - not the crew, not the cruise director, not the on-shore guides in town.

We did this trip last year and SS Antoinette was lots of fun. DH has the right idea with this one (unlike in Amsterdam). ;)

Edited by jpalbny

As others have stated, yes the tips are included - but when we compared the price for the same itinerary between Uniworld and Avalon (we have sailed with both in the past), Uniworld was much more expensive than Avalon even after including gratuities to Avalon's price. Plus the ship we will be on is brand new. Sorry Uniworld! :(

Cole

As others have stated, yes the tips are included - but when we compared the price for the same itinerary between Uniworld and Avalon (we have sailed with both in the past), Uniworld was much more expensive than Avalon even after including gratuities to Avalon's price. Plus the ship we will be on is brand new. Sorry Uniworld! :(

For the first cruise we considered, Uniworld was more expensive, but not outrageously so if we were willing to take the Category 5 room, because our TA was including two nights' pre- or post-cruise on the Uniworld cruise. On the second, longer itinerary I researched, I was surprised that the prices weren't very much different! Plus Uniworld had a good sale so that helped even more.

I truly understand that each persons financial situation and personal desires vary greatly as well as each persons personal experience but like you when I compared apples to apples I didn't find the price difference that great when I compared Uniworld to Viking. Especially when comparing suites. Uniworld provides an early booking and/or prepayment discount, all gratuities included, transfers included(even if you don't book airfare through them), alcohol at all times and not just meals, etc...When I put a number on all of the different pieces Viking was about $200 per person cheaper when I finally booked Uniworld. But for me personally it was worth it. By the way there was absolutely no pressure or expectations for additional tips. Service was amazing.

I truly understand that each persons financial situation and personal desires vary greatly as well as each persons personal experience but like you when I compared apples to apples I didn't find the price difference that great when I compared Uniworld to Viking. Especially when comparing suites. Uniworld provides an early booking and/or prepayment discount, all gratuities included, transfers included(even if you don't book airfare through them), alcohol at all times and not just meals, etc...When I put a number on all of the different pieces Viking was about $200 per person cheaper when I finally booked Uniworld. But for me personally it was worth it. By the way there was absolutely no pressure or expectations for additional tips. Service was amazing.

Add to the equation passenger/crew ratio and 1/3rd More passengers on Viking ships and for me the scale tips further in favor of Uniworld. One Uniworld cruise I took had only 100 passengers. Disclaimer: I have only cruised with Uniworld.