Can Tampa Get Some Love?

FuturzMinion

Beaches are there because the tides and currents deposit sand there. Dredging elsewhere can and will adversely affect the beaches by causing beach erosion and sand starvation, because it redirects the natural flow of sand. The beaches of Dauphin Island and Gulf Shores AL are constantly having to have sand brought in to rebuild the beaches because of the dredging of the Mobile ship channel, at a cost of tens of millions of dollars every few years. That's why permits will be difficult to obtain, if not impossible. My guess, Tampa will be out of the cruise business within the next 10-15 years, for all intents and purposes.

???? Dredging affects beaches? The beaches along the coast in this area constantly have to have dredging to restore the beach. Why, because NATURE doesn't want the sand there, the Chamber of Commerce does.

If they were to build jetties out that would stop the erosion by NATURE. But can't do that say the environmentalists, so we spend hundreds of millions of dollars restoring the beach after a storm season to put the sand back where NATURE doesn't want it.

But to build a new cruise port that would bring hundreds of jobs, and help the economy, can't do it.

???? Dredging affects beaches? The beaches along the coast in this area constantly have to have dredging to restore the beach. Why, because NATURE doesn't want the sand there, the Chamber of Commerce does.

If they were to build jetties out that would stop the erosion by NATURE. But can't do that say the environmentalists, so we spend hundreds of millions of dollars restoring the beach after a storm season to put the sand back where NATURE doesn't want it.

But to build a new cruise port that would bring hundreds of jobs, and help the economy, can't do it.

You got it right neighbor :) Really wish we could get a new pier......

That's very specifically because you evidently don't have natural beaches. Actions always have a reaction. And it costs a lot of money to fix it.

I live close to the port in Tampa. It is sad but is true that it's days are numbered as a cruise port unless they do something. The rumor I have heard is no 7 days are being scheduled after march because outside season the profit just wasn't there. I think some of that is carnivals fault. They can run east, and west routes out of port caniveral, why not tampa? The paradise isn't bad but according the John Held it will not receive 2.0 upgrades ever. I have been on the legend, it was horrible, and been on the paradise, it was awesome.

I'd like somehow to se St. Pete make a trade with Tampa where we give them the Rays that they've been trying to steal from us for years and we get the port somewhere on the west side of the bridge. Attendence would sky rocket for the baseball games because people from all over the bay area find it easier to get to Tampa then DTSP and in pinellas we could build an amazing cruise terminal that could rival any of floridas ports. It would put a huge boost to both economies. A lot of people who come for a cruise stay in Pinellas anyway for the beaches. It's just figuring out where to build the pier because the beach real estate we have is very coveted and extremely pricey. I bet Jeff Vinick would love to get on this deal though and buy that property in Tampa to go with his newly acquired Channelside district.