Help choosing itinerary

vwrestler171

Which itinerary?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which itinerary?

• Grand Turk; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St Kitts, WI; St. Maarten, NA
    • Grand Turk; La Romana, Dominican Republic; Curacao; Aruba

OK everyone, me and DW are planning on taking the kids on another cruise in Jan 2017, but we need your advice for the itineraries. Which one would you go and why?

Both are 8 day cruises on the Vista.

#1 Grand Turk; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St Kitts, WI; St. Maarten, NA

#2 Grand Turk; La Romana, Dominican Republic; Curacao; Aruba

There is a little bit of a price difference, but we're not too worried about it. Just looking for the funnest and best spots for the kids and us.

OK everyone, me and DW are planning on taking the kids on another cruise in Jan 2017, but we need your advice for the itineraries. Which one would you go and why?

Both are 8 day cruises on the Vista.

#1 Grand Turk; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St Kitts, WI; St. Maarten, NA

#2 Grand Turk; La Romana, Dominican Republic; Curacao; Aruba

There is a little bit of a price difference, but we're not too worried about it. Just looking for the funnest and best spots for the kids and us.

For me this would be a hard one only because I have not been to any of those ports but going off of which ones I am looking to go to on my next cruise I would say #1. I really want to see St.Maarten and Puerto Rico.

We have been to all the ports except St. Kitts and I know the price difference is only $100 on those trips b/c we are booked on the first one. I personally would pick the more expensive 2nd one if you have not been to Aruba and Curacao. Aruba highlight tour and Curacao city tour to include the swing bridge (you can walk here on your own after a city tour) would be my choices for excursions. Snorkel or swim at the other locations. You will not be disappointed in Aruba and Curacao. La Romana was kind of a let down, but we had fun snorkeling (left the kids on board due to an age restriction). There is NOTHING to do at the port- must book an excursion. Grand Turk has a great free pool and a long beach right at the pier. There are also some fun excursions- we have done the kayaking with 8 yr olds and will be doing the power snorkel this year (kids on board) and then picking up the kids to do the flow rider by the pool in the afternoon.

PR has a rain forest and of course San Cristobal which we are looking forward to on our Vista cruise. St. Maarten is beautiful, but there is questionable water quality at the port...recommend not swimming by the ship. We went to the other side of the island and had lunch after the kids did a beginner zip-lining course which was excellent, although a bit pricey with a $50 cab ride plus activity fee and food. Besides the ship, we are excited to see St. Kitts for something new. Hope this helps a little.

I agree with cruise life. In Aruba we did an off road adventure tour around the island and our kids loved it. We also love the town/market area. Curaçao was also neat with the fort and floating bridge. have never been to Dominica but that appears to be a beach day.

St. Martin isn't my favorite stop and I would just snorkel there. But a lot more cruises go there than further south so I would chose #2 because it is less common

We did the Southern route on the Breeze with our 3 kids and they loved it! In Grand Turk, we took a snorkel trip and then hung out on the beach. In LA Romana, we booked with Seavis and had the BEST day! Curacao we took a fun bus tour and it was beautiful at night. Aruba was amazing, we took Jolly Pirates and snorkeled and the kids loved the rope swing off the boat. We had some time after to hang out at Palm Beach. We all really loved this itenirary.

Both great itineraries but I would definitely lean towards the San Juan / St Kitts / St. Maarten one. While Aruba and Curaçao are nice, they don't offer as much as the other islands. They have beautiful white sand beaches but they are flat, barren, desert like islands.

San Juan has amazing history and culture, St. Maarten' French and Dutch influence in one island is unique, and St. Kitts is a less frequented and more off the beaten path port of call.

Edited by Tapi

these days i look at how long i will be in port, i always have ideas of what to do, but would be very sad if what i wanted to do wasn't offered because i wasn't in port long enough. either would be fine with me, all of those ports are on my wish list, but aruba and curacao would be nice.