Advice on cruising with 1 year old

ayier626

The only cruiselines that have splash zones for the diapered set are Disney and Royal Caribbean (Freedom class ships and newer). NCL and Carnival do NOT.

We are on the NCL, there is a Kids Aqua Park, I found these photos on a review. Looks like a splash area?

EpicDeck15KidAquaParkFromMarketplace-1-2_zps4b1d1289.jpg

EpicKidAquaParkLookingAftFromPoolEnd-1-2_zps558001d1.jpg

None of the NCL ships have diaper-friendly splash zones. Almost all ships have splash zones for potty trained kids, but they are still a part of the same water system as the other pools.

We looked at the Breakaway out of NY for our last cruise and when I called they said that no, none of their ships have an area that allows swim diapers. RCL has some baby splash zones, and Disney ships have a few places but nothing on any other line yet for the diaper-crew.

None of the NCL ships have diaper-friendly splash zones. Almost all ships have splash zones for potty trained kids, but they are still a part of the same water system as the other pools.

We looked at the Breakaway out of NY for our last cruise and when I called they said that no, none of their ships have an area that allows swim diapers. RCL has some baby splash zones, and Disney ships have a few places but nothing on any other line yet for the diaper-crew.

I totally get it and understand the logic behind it. It is just frustrating that even a 3 year old or potty trained kid could still have an accident in the pool. We double up on swim diaper and reusable diapers and have never had a problem. Not saying I'm going to disobey the rules, it just seems silly that its not allowed when younger kids can still have accidents.

I totally get it and understand the logic behind it. It is just frustrating that even a 3 year old or potty trained kid could still have an accident in the pool. We double up on swim diaper and reusable diapers and have never had a problem. Not saying I'm going to disobey the rules, it just seems silly that its not allowed when younger kids can still have accidents.

The doubling up of diapers may help keep the poop from escaping the diaper, but it does not stop water from flowing through and picking up bacteria. Think of it like a tea bag!

Yes, anyone can have an accident, and that causes pools to be shut down and disrupts the fun for everyone. So it is important to make sure newly potty trained kids take regular potty breaks even if they don't want to stop playing. Can't 100% prevent every accident, but can definitely reduce the chances a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every ship I have ever been on has a sign posted that clearly states diapered children are not allowed in the pool. Most people, if not all, read the sign and decide that the rule does not apply to them. It is a matter of my child is more important than anyone else on this ship so I will do whatever I want.

But it is the ship's responsibility to enforce the rule. There are pool attendants and it should be their job to ask parents to remove diapered babies from the pool. If the cruise line is not willing to enforce the regulation, they must accept part of the blame.

• 1 month later...

Hello all! This will be our first time cruising with our daughter who will be 18 months at the time of sailing so definitely looking forward to any and all suggestions. Definitely trying to avoid traveling once we get to the port if possible since we won't have a car seat and I know how crazy the driving can be in the Caribbean. Has anyone with little ones been to the ports below. Looking for suggestions on things to do in the port

Costa Maya - I know this is a cruiseship made port so plenty of beach here, can't remember last time I was there if there were any kids play areas.

Cozumel - Any suggestions on a good beach to go to here fr children? I know most of the shoreline is Rocky at port areas. Still trying to find out what dock the NCL Star comes in to.

Roatan - If we were going into the new Carnival port we'd be fine but I think the Star docks at Coxen hole. I have not been to this dock in quite a few years. Is there anything to do here? We usually go over to Tabyana Beach so we may need to do this again even though it requires some travel.

Hello all! This will be our first time cruising with our daughter who will be 18 months at the time of sailing so definitely looking forward to any and all suggestions. Definitely trying to avoid traveling once we get to the port if possible since we won't have a car seat and I know how crazy the driving can be in the Caribbean. Has anyone with little ones been to the ports below. Looking for suggestions on things to do in the port

Costa Maya - I know this is a cruiseship made port so plenty of beach here, can't remember last time I was there if there were any kids play areas.

Cozumel - Any suggestions on a good beach to go to here fr children? I know most of the shoreline is Rocky at port areas. Still trying to find out what dock the NCL Star comes in to.

Roatan - If we were going into the new Carnival port we'd be fine but I think the Star docks at Coxen hole. I have not been to this dock in quite a few years. Is there anything to do here? We usually go over to Tabyana Beach so we may need to do this again even though it requires some travel.

We stopped in Cozumel and Roatan in April with our 14 month old.

Cozumel - We took a taxi ($15) each way to the Paradise Beach Club for the day ($3 dollars entrance fee per adult). We didn't bring a car seat, he sat in our lap - i think it was a 15-20min cab ride.

Roatan - We went Maya Key thru the cruise ship excursion. Lots of shades/beach/pool/and a little "zoo".

Edited by Love.NCL

1. Go with the flow of your tot. DD went on her first cruise the day she turned 1. She just started walking a week or so before - she tottled everywhere and loved just exploring. We let her walk and climb steps and dance to every music she heard. She was in no hurry, and thankfully, there were bars everywhere for mom and dad? LOL

2. We would go out to the pool when it wasn't busy and spend 10-15 min WALKING around the edge of the pool - yes, inside the ring of the pool, but not sitting or anything. She would kick and jump but couldn't sit down. The Carnival people said if she's there walking and jumping and not sitting and splashing, they were ok with that. I absolutely wouldn't let her sit and play - it was literally a "jump in the mud puddle" kind of play. I wasn't doing that to her, me, or everyone else.

3. We did bring a little blow up splash tub but only used it once. It stayed in the crib filled with junk when she wasn't in bed.

4. Benedryl - baby benedryl isn't available OTC most port areas or on the boat. Our daughter is an adventurous eater (well... was) so we always had it handy in case. She didn't have peanut butter till 18 months, but she had shell fish before her first bday (hey, we're from MD!).

5. Diapers - more than you need.

6. Goldfish. Yes, there's food everywhere, but goldfish was a staple.

7. Pack your patience. Don't try to force yours to be in any hurry. It's vaca.

It's a lot of fun if you go with the right attitude.

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions!

I plan on bringing an inflatable tub for the LO to use at bathtime and to splash around in. Unfortunately we just got the duck tub this weekend and upon seeing it, my LO burst into tears. Hopefully he'll be okay with it by the time we cruise, but in case he's not, what do you guys do for bathtime if you don't bring a baby tub?

We booked our cruise with the specialty dining package on the NCL Breakaway but heard from a friend that the only baby-friendly specialty restaurant is the Italian one. Is this the case and if so, what makes the others unsuitable? Is it the length of time you'd spend in there or because the restaurant ambience is not meant for potential melt-downs? It'd be a real shame if we can only go to one of the restaurants during our stay.

My LO will be turning one the week before our cruise and he's started cruising (har har) recently so I imagine he'll be able to toddle around in October on the ship. Any ideas on the types of shoes that are appropriate on board and onshore? (we'll be in Bermuda)

I'm waffling between buying a really lightweight umbrella stroller or bringing our smallish full size stroller. We haven't had much opportunity for LO to fall asleep in the stroller but from what I've seen of umbrella strollers, they don't seem that comfortable. We'll probably end up going back to our room for his naps so maybe the stroller will be used just as a means of transport. Any ideas on how well umbrella strollers do in Bermuda? Is there lots of pavement or should we stick with the stroller with the better wheels?

Great tips on packing all medications, extra diapers and packaged foods to bring onshore. As for milk on the ship, do they have juice-box type containers of milk for the tots or should we bring our own?

And lastly, for the in-room crib, is it really a crib or a pack-n-play?

Whew, sorry for the long list of q's!

heard from a friend that the only baby-friendly specialty restaurant is the Italian one....

I'm waffling between buying a really lightweight umbrella stroller or bringing our smallish full size stroller.

The restaurant thing may be your friend's opinion (and some people think a baby shouldn't be on a cruise at all), but any restaurant except the most formal and the Japanese are completely baby/kid friendly.

Others disagree, but I'm a huge fan of the full-size stroller on board. It's more comfortable, usually has a better sun shade, and more sturdy for port. It's nice to be able to let your child nap in the stroller (I used a beach towel to cover/darken it) while you keep going.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

...but any restaurant except the most formal and the Japanese are completely baby/kid friendly.

by most formal, do you mean le bistro? and why is the Japanese restaurant not completely baby-friendly? tia!

by most formal, do you mean le bistro? and why is the Japanese restaurant not completely baby-friendly? tia!

At the Japanese restaurant, seats are limited and they do not offer the kid's menu, but even if you were willing to pay full price for the baby's meal, tables are shared with others.

Best,

Mia

At the Japanese restaurant' date=' seats are limited and they do not offer the kid's menu, but even if you were willing to pay full price for the baby's meal, tables are shared with others.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Ah, gotcha. This is my first cruise so apologies if I've got this wrong, but I was under the impression that kids under 4 eat for free at all specialty restaurants and MDRs?

And can anyone tell me if kids/babies are included in the UDP if the UDP was "purchased" as part of the NCL promo? For example if I bring my LO to Teppanyaki, will he be charged to eat there while the adults are free because of the UDP?

Ah, gotcha. This is my first cruise so apologies if I've got this wrong, but I was under the impression that kids under 4 eat for free at all specialty restaurants and MDRs?

My understanding is they eat from the kids menu for free (which is the same ship-wide and not offered at the Japanese restaurant - not sure about Le Bistro).

Have a great time!

best,

Mia

At the Japanese restaurant' date=' seats are limited and they do not offer the kid's menu, but even if you were willing to pay full price for the baby's meal, tables are shared with others.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

The last time we ate at le Bistro, there was a table next to us with a baby and toddler - no worries. I think you need to sit on tall chairs at teppanaki, which would be hard with a toddler.

Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions!

I plan on bringing an inflatable tub for the LO to use at bathtime and to splash around in. Unfortunately we just got the duck tub this weekend and upon seeing it, my LO burst into tears. Hopefully he'll be okay with it by the time we cruise, but in case he's not, what do you guys do for bathtime if you don't bring a baby tub?

I'm waffling between buying a really lightweight umbrella stroller or bringing our smallish full size stroller. We haven't had much opportunity for LO to fall asleep in the stroller but from what I've seen of umbrella strollers, they don't seem that comfortable. We'll probably end up going back to our room for his naps so maybe the stroller will be used just as a means of transport.

My experience is on carnival, not ncl, but I assume they are relatively similar. For our oldest to bath, we spent a few weeks getting him used to a removable shower head and bought a tub plug, covered the shower drain, and let him splash in a few inches of water in the shower instead of bringing a tub.

Go with the full size stroller. We swear by our graco literider. The recline and sunshade are a must at that age and the basket is SO nice to carry the things a toddler requires.

Oh, and as for shoes- rubber soled tennis shoes will be your best friend. They'll prevent slipping, give him a little more balance, and protect his toes from bumps and bigger feet. As for in port- either tennis shoes or a good pair of strap on sandals (Carters makes a nice set) will be your best bet. You want hard soles, again.

Regarding the strollers... I have a City Mini as my full size stroller and a nicer umbrella stroller (can't remember the name) that reclines and had a large cover. It's nice but obviously not as nice as my City Mini. Since my umbrella stroller reclines would you all recommend bringing that since its lighter or still better to bring my regular stroller?

Regarding the strollers... I have a City Mini as my full size stroller and a nicer umbrella stroller (can't remember the name) that reclines and had a large cover. It's nice but obviously not as nice as my City Mini. Since my umbrella stroller reclines would you all recommend bringing that since its lighter or still better to bring my regular stroller?

We took an umbrella type stroller with decent recline, sun shade, and small basket underneath. It worked very well -- I wore him in the Ergo quite a bit, but his Dad and grandparents pushed him in the stroller. It fit easily in the closet of our cabin and fit through the door without needing to be folded.

I will say that my son will not sleep in his stroller. If you have a stroller sleeper, take the one you think s/he will sleep in best!!

Oh, and as for shoes- rubber soled tennis shoes will be your best friend. They'll prevent slipping, give him a little more balance, and protect his toes from bumps and bigger feet. As for in port- either tennis shoes or a good pair of strap on sandals (Carters makes a nice set) will be your best bet. You want hard soles, again.

thanks for the tips! babies change so much during their first year that it's hard for me to imagine what i'll need a few months down the line- always nice to be able to pick everyone's brains on cc.

For shoes I would look for really sturdy closed toed sandals (like Keens although I usually get Target knock-offs rather than actual Keens sandals). Sandals will be easier than keeping track of socks too. The Keens style have sturdy non-slip soles and are thick enough in the front to protect little toes but breathe enough to not be too warm either.