Cruise Holiday Insurance?

Big Stevie

. General travel insurance cover you for the medical side it seems on most I think

The medical cover is the really valuable part of travel insurance. You may be covered for delays luggage etc but the real big risk is being hospitalised in a foreign country and needing to be repatriated back to UK.

Also treatment at the medical centre on the ship can run into hundreds of pounds. £52 for a doctors consultation and often for repeats, plus medication for a start.

David

The medical cover is the really valuable part of travel insurance. You may be covered for delays luggage etc but the real big risk is being hospitalised in a foreign country and needing to be repatriated back to UK.

Thats the only part of the insurance police I'm interested in. As long as we have sufficient medical cover and can be winched off the ship like an caged animal, then I couldn't care less about baggage cover. None of our clothes are expensive, or of an amount that I'm not prepared to write off. But removing the Baggage cover would only save me £2 so I kept it.

I also think its important to take your insurance documents with you when you travel, so yo have all the info to hand. I have a folder containing all my documents, tickets, copies of passports etc that stays with me in my camera bag.

I shall be pouring over the policy document later today, ensuring I have the cover I need.

Edited by Big Stevie

with over 30 years insurance experience I would not take a policy that needed to add cruising as an optional cover. Once they know which part of the world you are travelling to that should suffice. If a cruise has to be specified what else does.

Im not sure I understand, are you saying that a normal travel policy should suffice? Surely that won't cover you from being air lifted from a ship to the nearest hospital? Or would it?

Im not sure I understand, are you saying that a normal travel policy should suffice? Surely that won't cover you from being air lifted from a ship to the nearest hospital? Or would it?

You will find that most (all) policies wil specifically state the conditions which are excluded, skiing etc. I have never read one, and I have read a few over the years that exclude cruising. Why. Because being on a cruise ship is probably the nearest most people are to quick medical care. A doctor can be with anyone on the ship far quicker than ashore. A cruise ship is an excellent place to have a heart attack, though God forbid!!

As for helicopter repatriation, this would be handled by the local coast guards and I think there would be no charge to the passenger. And of course you can forget helicopters if the ship is out of range, then you are in the hands of the ship medics.

David

Obviously not! What a pointless question!

Merely a Fyi point for anyone reading who might have! Just thought I was adding a bit of extra information - didn't realise your permission was required. Sorry for trying to be helpful!

Apology accepted - matter now closed.

I was looking for a policy which included increased cover for confinement to cabin, I thought that might be useful to have is there a reason why you are saying you should not do that

No I wasn't, I was trying to point out that a good policy would not need cruising to specified any more than any other type of standard holiday, ie Safari or Train journey.

The policies that offer extras such as confinement to cabin are not asking what type of holiday you are going on, it is a personal choice whether to take the extra covers or not.

A good policy would, ie if you have £2million medical cover I wouldn't expect an airlift to be excluded as it would form part of a medical claim.

So much insurance is bought on price with attention only paid to the headline covers, I wouldn't say you get what you pay for but I would say that if it's cheap there may be a reason.