Nachi or Papito's

carlissaandisaacsmommy

Will be in Cozumel in a couple weeks. have done Playa Mia and Dolphinaris before. This time would like something more relaxing. Will be my husband and I, my parents, and our 8 year old and 2 year old. Kids could care less about water toys. They are perfectly happy with sand and saltwater ;) We aren't big drinkers but do like to eat. It looks like for the 6 of us, would be $70 each way for taxi to Papito's. Not sure about how much to Nachi Cocom. My mom said the water at Playa Mia looked "murky" compared to what she remembered it looking like the last time she was there before that. That time, they did a Jeep excursion through the ship, so I'm thinking she was probably farther south than Playa Mia is at Punta Sur.

Which one should we choose and why? Also, is there a shallow end to the pool at NC?

You may want to look at what your cruise line offers. Some do have excursions to Papitos that include the transportation to and from. But I'd think taxi costs round trip could be a pay-as-you-go deal killer for 6. Current one rates for 6-8 from International Pier or Puerta Maya to Nachi are 440 MXP, that's between $65-$70 RT for the taxi plus tip. To Papitos you're look at 1140 MXP each way (that's the zone rates to South Point, Punta Sur where Papitos is, but may include the ecological preserve entrance fee) That's where the ~$175 RT per cab comes into play.

I am not sure if you are intending to do a "package" to Papitos , or independent?

If you are going on your own remember you will need to add on entrance to Punta Sur ($14 per adult/$8 per child). Punta sur has the added attraction of the lighthouse and crocodiles which may interest your older child if you are willing to take time out of your beach time. You can then buy AI rate on site or PAYG. You would need to make sure you make arrangements for taxi to return.

If you book Papitos AI package online, rates are slightly higher per adult than Nachi (include entrance fee but not taxi), considerably higher for child.

I see Papitos have "tweeked" the rates yet again for the snorkle package! This includes transport and entrance fee. It doesn't make much difference to a group of your size, but considerable difference to 1-2 person rate. I am wondering if they have now arranged group transport.

With regards the water being "murky" - if a storm has come through recently the water will be churned up at all the beaches to the south of the pier. It really depends on the day. However you are correct in that Punta Sur is round the corner and subject to different conditions although most of the east coast is not recommended for swimming.

Have you considered looking at a day pass to one of the resort hotels? Transport for your group would be considerably less and no added entrance fee.

Meant to add if you just want a relaxing beach day, for convenience and price I would probably choose Nachi. I have been to Punta Sur, and thoroughly enjoyed my visit but I haven't been to Nachi or Papitos so cannot recommend one over the other.