Livorno to Florence confusion??

trvlgirlmq

Hello helpful CC members! We will be visiting Italy for the first time in 2016 and I have been reading the Rick Steves cruise book for practical travel information. I am not a total DIY novice (3 trips to France and 2 to England all using public transportation) however I am confused about RS's advice on getting to Florence and what I have been reading here.

According to RS it is a 3-step process:

1. Shuttle provided by cruiseline from ship to a bus station in Livorno (there is a fee for this?)

2. Bus to the train station

3. Train to Florence

What I read here on CC:

1. Grab a taxi to the train station

2. Train to Florence

My question then is, are these taxis at the actual cruise port near the ship? Or are they located at the bus station where the shuttle drops you off? If they are at the actual port how do we access them as it appears you must use a shuttle to leave your ship (no descriptions are provided on walking out of the port like there is for Civitavecchia).

Any clearing up of my confusion would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to save money on using a transfer service as we are a family of 6 but I also need to have clear, concise instructions because I will be herding the group! I do already have a reservation with Tuscany by Taxi and if that is our best choice will keep it intact.

Thank you!

Edited by trvlgirlmq

Yes, most (all?) cruise lines charge for the shuttle to central Livorno.

Although smaller ships berth close to the dock gate - actually walkable to the centre of town - most of them berth deep into the docks and yes, I believe you need a taxi or pre-arranged tour or that shuttle to exit the docks. Taxis are alongside the ship, I have little doubt that the same applies to pre-arranged transport.

Grabbing a taxi direct from ship to rail station a couple of years back cost 25 euros - most hold 8 passengers, we managed to share with others on the quayside so the cost was 7 euros per couple.

We were less fortunate for the return, there were no sharers on our return train - or the one after that, which we waited for - so we had to stump up the 25 euros by ourselves.

We had no problem finding taxis in either direction and no problem in the driver taking us to the station, but others have reported having to wait due to a shortage. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Return rail fare to Florence was 18 euros. Pisa is en-route to Florence, and your rail ticket permits you to break your journey in either direction. We had time for both places, but that depends how in-depth you want to see either.

We were perfectly happy using the train. Since you are six the price gap between public transport & private tour is much more realistic than for a couple, especially if there are more seats that you can offer via your RollCall to share the cost.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thank you! I actually think we are better off keeping our reservation. Adding up your costs x 6 puts us at about €168. We reserved the van/driver for the day for €360. Seems a good deal to have a car waiting for us as soon as we disembark. No confusion hopefully and only 1 mode of transportation. I don't think we are overpaying as Rome In Limo wanted €450 for the same thing.

Edited by trvlgirlmq

Thank you! I actually think we are better off keeping our reservation. Adding up your costs x 6 puts us at about €168. We reserved the van/driver for the day for €360. Seems a good deal to have a car waiting for us as soon as we disembark. No confusion hopefully and only 1 mode of transportation. I don't think we are overpaying as Rome In Limo wanted €450 for the same thing.

Yes, simpler. And more certain.

Also, altho central Florence is very walkable it saves a long & steep walk up to the statue of David. Great city vista from there too.

The value of private vs public transport is subjective, but naturally the bigger the group the smaller the difference.

And as a proportion of your total cruise cost, that difference is small-beer.

So I certainly wouldn't argue with your conclusion.

Have a good one

JB :)

Since you will be in a smaller vehicle, suggest you go to Pisa first.

You will get there ahead of the tour busses, and your driver can drop you off right in front of the tower.

The large tour busses have to park outside the city walls, and everybody walks to the tower.

This should give a good hour or so with almost nobody around to enjoy the area.

Also, pre-reserve your tickets to the Academa to see paintings & David...you will get right in and avoid looooooong lines.

:)

p_mori - Yes, I do plan to pre-order our Accademia tickets. Then we just want to wander the piazza's, maybe visit the Duomo and Santa Croce, plus lunch and gelato of course! I think we decided not to visit Pisa on this trip so that we could have what little time we do get in Florence. When we travel to Europe on land we tend to be stay in one location for a week to really explore so this is going to be a whole new experience.

Hello helpful CC members! We will be visiting Italy for the first time in 2016 and I have been reading the Rick Steves cruise book for practical travel information. I am not a total DIY novice (3 trips to France and 2 to England all using public transportation) however I am confused about RS's advice on getting to Florence and what I have been reading here.

According to RS it is a 3-step process:

1. Shuttle provided by cruiseline from ship to a bus station in Livorno (there is a fee for this?)

2. Bus to the train station

3. Train to Florence

What I read here on CC:

1. Grab a taxi to the train station

2. Train to Florence

My question then is, are these taxis at the actual cruise port near the ship? Or are they located at the bus station where the shuttle drops you off? If they are at the actual port how do we access them as it appears you must use a shuttle to leave your ship (no descriptions are provided on walking out of the port like there is for Civitavecchia).

Any clearing up of my confusion would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to save money on using a transfer service as we are a family of 6 but I also need to have clear, concise instructions because I will be herding the group! I do already have a reservation with Tuscany by Taxi and if that is our best choice will keep it intact.

Thank you!

On our recent Norwegian Jade cruise, they had a shuttle from the ship to the train station in Livorno for $12 per person. This made the train much easier to use. Not sure if all cruise lines offer this option.

On our recent Norwegian Jade cruise, they had a shuttle from the ship to the train station in Livorno for $12 per person. This made the train much easier to use. Not sure if all cruise lines offer this option.

Well that certainly makes the train more convenient doesn't it! I need to see if Celebrity offers that and explore that option more.

Thanks for posting the information.

If I could be assured that we could go directly from the ship to the train station then I may cancel our driver in order to save money. I would have to have confirmation from the cruise line that this was offered because I don't want to leave anything to chance and have my whole day screwed up.