Pride of America - What time should I expect to pickup my rental?

leesataxprep

I will be cruising on the Pride of America in June, 2015 with my new husband. I have already set up my car rentals for each port (except Kona). I'm wondering how long it takes to get to the car rental place, rent the car and start my day. I want to book my activities but don't want to book anything too early If I won't have my car yet. I know that the rental places pick you up at the port and then shuttle you to the rental company where I'm sure you have to stand in line and fill out all the paper work. Any idea how long this all takes???

I will be cruising on the Pride of America in June, 2015 with my new husband. I have already set up my car rentals for each port (except Kona). I'm wondering how long it takes to get to the car rental place, rent the car and start my day. I want to book my activities but don't want to book anything too early If I won't have my car yet. I know that the rental places pick you up at the port and then shuttle you to the rental company where I'm sure you have to stand in line and fill out all the paper work. Any idea how long this all takes???

It never took more than 30 minutes once I left the disembarked. Depending on the port, the rental office is no more than 10 minutes away from the port. It would be helpful if you sign up for the rental agency's loyalty program then call them to add your account number to the rental record. In many instances that will put you into a shorter line at the rental office.

Most definitely, enroll & join those car company's frequent rental program for free so that you driver license/other data will be populated for the Rental Agreement, pre-printed or ready to print on your arrival to pickup the vehicle.

The big ones: Hertz, Avis & Budget have more free shuttles to fetch you over to their lots and return you after the dropoff (confirm & re-verify those times to allow time to re-board the ship & not miss the sailing, or you will be flying to the next island at your own expense - at least you won't need to worry not carrying the passport. Dollar & Alamo had less shuttle and the wait is longer, and everyone trying to get on. It's been a few years, the Kauai pickup is at the airport about 10 minutes away, with one agent working & a long line. We booked Hertz @nearby Marriott Resort next to the pier, a 15 minutes walk uphill to pickup our minivan - saved time getting onto the shuttle but dropped off at the airport.

Be prepared with plenty of company - fellow cruisers doing the same to board the shuttle. Mahalo !!

Edited by mking8288

Renting from the airports in Kahalui, Hilo and Lihue are fast and easy from the pier on the company shuttle. All three airports are close to the pier. In Honolulu we rented from a downtown location. I walked down and got the car while my wife and a porter ferried our bags through customs. I returned and picked her up and off to our hotel.

We didn't rent in Kona as we decided to make that stop our relaxation day. Some folks we spoke with rented from the hotel near the tender pier. The airport is a bit further as I understand it.

Renting from the airports in Kahalui, Hilo and Lihue are fast and easy from the pier on the company shuttle. All three airports are close to the pier. In Honolulu we rented from a downtown location. I walked down and got the car while my wife and a porter ferried our bags through customs. I returned and picked her up and off to our hotel.

We didn't rent in Kona as we decided to make that stop our relaxation day. Some folks we spoke with rented from the hotel near the tender pier. The airport is a bit further as I understand it.[/QUOT

In Kona, you want to rent either from Enterprise (cheapist but must use their shuttle) or Thrifty or Dollar, which ever is located at the King Kam hotel (just a walk across the street from the tender pier but more expensive).

We didn't rent in Kona as we decided to make that stop our relaxation day. Some folks we spoke with rented from the hotel near the tender pier. The airport is a bit further as I understand it.

Could you please tell me what company (or companies) has a location close enough to the pier to walk to in Honolulu and how far a walk it is? That sounds like an excellent idea for getting off the ship if I can get a car with a trunk to put our luggage in since our flight isn't until late in the afternoon. Thank you

Edited by lawgator
added detail

Thanks so much. I used DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com and wound up with Dollar on Hilo and Thrifty on Maui & Kaui. I'll sign up for Dollar & Thrifty's loyalty programs. So if we can disembark by 8, I guess I can plan on driving away from the car rental agency by 9?

Will the rental agency let me know what time I need to be back by to get a shuttle back to the pier?

Thanks so much. I used DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com and wound up with Dollar on Hilo and Thrifty on Maui & Kaui. I'll sign up for Dollar & Thrifty's loyalty programs. So if we can disembark by 8, I guess I can plan on driving away from the car rental agency by 9?

Will the rental agency let me know what time I need to be back by to get a shuttle back to the pier?

Yes, ask the person at the desk when you get your car--they will tell you when their last shuttle is.

Edited by pizzalady1