RFID Shield wallets

majarosh

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were getting ready to go on a trip to Hawaii with a new travel credit card from Chase Bank and I asked the rep about the RFID technology and having to keep them safe. He said almost no one uses the "old" technology now as far as credit cards goes. The new cards coming out are chips and they have their own protection built into them he said. You don't have to cover them with sleeves or wallets or any of the other protectors he said. They are not scannable. I did read an article I think on Consumers Reports that the Europeans are using pin numbers when using the cards keeping things safer but the US merchants didn't want to go to the trouble of making people remember their 4 digit pin numbers and they didn't want to go through the expense to set up the machines for the pins.

My husband and I were getting ready to go on a trip to Hawaii with a new travel credit card from Chase Bank and I asked the rep about the RFID technology and having to keep them safe. He said almost no one uses the "old" technology now as far as credit cards goes. The new cards coming out are chips and they have their own protection built into them he said.

The rest of the world has credit cards with WAVE (rfid) technology which can be scanned with the right machine ;)

People can buy them online for next to nothing

I would read up on RFID cards

yours are probably safe if they do not have the symbol like in post 19

Edited by LHT28

I carry this as a wallet.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-RFID-Blocking-Size-Black/dp/B001CZVQVE/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1426009772&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=travelon+mens+wallet

Are rfid blockers necessary? Lots of strongly held opinions on both sides in this thread (no surprise). I figure that if I'm going to carry a wallet anyway, what will it hurt if it has RFID blocking mesh in it? This one meets my needs as a wallet. If it does keep my data safe in the (probably) rare event that someone has a reader, all the better.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.