what areas in sydney for a hotel

We are doing the same. Flight Centre organised it all with great rates, as we are flying in from Melbourne. First time at cruising - and really looking forward to it! Not long now.

Congrats on your first time. Probably won't be your last, bet you can't stop at just one.

Congrats on your first time. Probably won't be your last, bet you can't stop at just one.

LOL your probably right! I just hope I havent overloaded myself with too much information hahahahaha - but then I am a Virgo and I must always be prepared - one of my nasty downfalls!!!!

• 4 months later...

We stayed at Bondi Junction. Our hotel/apartment was built over the rail / bus station with easy access to the city and Bondi Beach. Highly recommended.

Once we parked our car in the hotel car park we left it there for the duration of our stay. Driving was a nightmare!!

thanks for all the suggestions, booked an apartment hotel since we are staying a week in sydney...was more than I wanted to spend but this is my bucket list trip...

Get ready for Sydney, beautiful but $$$$$$$ for Everything , if your a smoker , $25 Per Pack, for real

And don't forget...No Tipping. You have already paid the tip many times over in the prices that are charged.:D

Sydney was recently voted the most expensive city n the world for tourists. But remember wages here are very good. A casual adult worker will be on a minimum of a touch over $20 an hour, plus penalty rates, so on some shifts that can be $50 an hour.

Minimum adult permanent wage is about $17 an hour plus penalty rates for weekends, nights and public holidays, plus 10% superannuation [paid by the employer and increasing each year] plus 17.5% percent leave loading [that means for the four weeks you are on leave you get your pay plus an additional 17.5%], 4 weeks annual leave and Long Service Leave [about 13 weeks after 10 years service].

Once we parked our car in the hotel car park we left it there for the duration of our stay. Driving was a nightmare!!

But at least you don't have lots of trams to contend with when driving in Sydney ;) :p :D

We've stayed in Sydney the night before a couple of cruises. Both times we booked through Wotif and had rooms at the Wentworth and Wynyard Travelodge. Both were about $170 per night and are an easy walk to the OPT

dragging our cases and we're in our mid-60s.

If your leaving from White Bay then that is a different story and I can't help you there.

Sydney was recently voted the most expensive city n the world for tourists. But remember wages here are very good. A casual adult worker will be on a minimum of a touch over $20 an hour, plus penalty rates, so on some shifts that can be $50 an hour.

Minimum adult permanent wage is about $17 an hour plus penalty rates for weekends, nights and public holidays, plus 10% superannuation [paid by the employer and increasing each year] plus 17.5% percent leave loading [that means for the four weeks you are on leave you get your pay plus an additional 17.5%], 4 weeks annual leave and Long Service Leave [about 13 weeks after 10 years service].

As someone who has worked in hospitality I can tell you that nobody gets $50 an hour. That's because the penalty rates are a multiple of the full time rate, not the casual rate, even though you are a casual. So for example, when I worked on a Sunday it was 150% the fulltime hourly rate of about $16 an hour (back then) so we only got about $24 an hour and that's if you were lucky enough to find an employer to pay you what you were entitled to. Most employers are probably paying cash in hand and way below the award rate. Unfortunately it's the high rents that businesses pay in Sydney that push up the prices, not the wages. Believe me, I never got rich working in hospitality.

As someone who has worked in hospitality I can tell you that nobody gets $50 an hour. That's because the penalty rates are a multiple of the full time rate, not the casual rate, even though you are a casual. So for example, when I worked on a Sunday it was 150% the fulltime hourly rate of about $16 an hour (back then) so we only got about $24 an hour and that's if you were lucky enough to find an employer to pay you what you were entitled to. Most employers are probably paying cash in hand and way below the award rate. Unfortunately it's the high rents that businesses pay in Sydney that push up the prices, not the wages. Believe me, I never got rich working in hospitality.

Hate to disagree, but worked in hospitality management and had plenty of staff, who had experience on over $30 an hour then add penalty rates and $50 an hour was not uncommon.

Only 10 public holidays a year, so not really realistic to use an example that only applies 2.5% of the time.

A. I said some shifts. Nowhere did I say every shift

B. Look at the next post and remember they are all for minimum wage at that level.

Sunday Minimum $35 per hour. And that doesn't yet cover supervisors and head waiters, just senior waiters.

Edited by GUT2407

A. I said some shifts. Nowhere did I say every shift

I didn't say you said all shifts. But giving extremes, especially only at one end and in a limited situation gives a misleading picture.

B. Look at the next post and remember they are all for minimum wage at that level.

And by saying the 'minimum' that's implying many get more. But for by far the majority, the award is the rate - assuming you are being paid fairly which in hospitality is probably the worst for 'special arrangements'.

Booked another one and we are now planning to do one cruise a year hahahaha!

When we booked our first we thought it would be a one off, or maybe one every four or five years.

Yeah sure.

Hi all, just came across this thread on here, ONLY advice here guys! i don't want my head eaten off like in another post i did recently! (i will get a complex ... you know)

Now for my 2 cents worth When we last stayed in Sydney, which was 2 weeks ago, we got a very good deal at Rydges World Square. Now a few tings about it;

its very central to downtown Sydney, a few blocks from Myers, DJs, QVB

Not the best view by far

not within walking distance to the ship terminal

BUT it has very clean, modern refurbished rooms, with a very comfortable bed.

even room lighting that i could see with!!

Our package included free valet parking and free breakfast which was good, not oustanding.

Service was great and friendl!y football was NOT good as, NSW lost to QLD in the third state of origin!

the pice was better than i could get with parking and breakfast anywhere else.

Hi all, just came across this thread on here, ONLY advice here guys! i don't want my head eaten off like in another post i did recently! (i will get a complex ... you know)

Now for my 2 cents worth When we last stayed in Sydney, which was 2 weeks ago, we got a very good deal at Rydges World Square. Now a few tings about it;

its very central to downtown Sydney, a few blocks from Myers, DJs, QVB

Not the best view by far

not within walking distance to the ship terminal

BUT it has very clean, modern refurbished rooms, with a very comfortable bed.

even room lighting that i could see with!!

Our package included free valet parking and free breakfast which was good, not oustanding.

Service was great and friendl!y football was NOT good as, NSW lost to QLD in the third state of origin!

the pice was better than i could get with parking and breakfast anywhere else.

Rodgers prices can vary from great to awful but always worth checking with.

When we booked our first we thought it would be a one off, or maybe one every four or five years.

Yeah sure.

Lol! I know the feeling we are sooo cold down here in Melbourne it's all I dream about - sad!

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Lol! I know the feeling we are sooo cold down here in Melbourne it's all I dream about - sad!

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I am in the Hunter Valley and can assure you it is COLD here this last few weeks.