Early flight time out of FLL

canadianont

We have made a flight with almost the same departure time with no problems--actually had about a two hour wait at the airport. We carried our own luggage off at the earliest possible time.

Usually there will be no problem, since the port is so close to the airport, but delays do happen, so have a back-up plan.

I wouldn't book a flight like that unless there isn't any other good alternative though.

On the Silhouette 2 weeks ago 4 of the mid-ship elevators were shut down the morning of disembarkation. We were told it was for crowd control of those self-disembarking. This caused most people to use the stairs, with and without heavy luggage. It was a real mess. Don't know if you will have this too, but plan accordingly.

Interesting! On our recent cruise (also Feb. 13th Equinox) DH and I set our heavy suitcases out the night before, instead of doing self-embarkation. We were not in a real hurry.

When we tried to catch an elevator to go to the MDR for breakfast (approx. 7:50), the elevators looked like they were not running full speed. :rolleyes: We ended up walking down the stairs. Had no trouble going back up.

After refreshing in the stateroom (had permission from the room steward. ;)) we headed out approx. 9:15 to the mid elevators. DH pushed a button, and were surprised that the elevator door opened right away. :eek: Not only that, but it did not stop between our deck and the disembarkation deck. We looked at each other and said "Wow.. that was easy!" My guess is that we timed the elevators perfectly and must have hit them just when the elevators were released for all the rest of the passengers. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

You're on the same cruise as us :) Yea!!

Are you with the Canadian charter? We are and our flight is out of Miami at 12:15. I was a lil nervous about that timing but being a charter I'm guessing they've got it figured out lol... Here's hoping as it is Easter Sunday

Ok, so having done an awful lot of cruises out of Port Everglades a 10:35 flight would have us "mildly concerned." Since we do not like to end a cruise being even a little concerned we do not book flights before 11:30. But using express debarkation sure helps improve the odds. Now you just have to pray that our wonderful US CBP folks do not wake up on the wrong side of their beds :).

Hank

Sailing on the Silhouette this month out of FLL. We disembark on Easter Sunday and our flight leaves FLL at 10:35 am. Mildly concerned that we may have booked too early a flight. We will self disembark as early as possible and carry our own luggage off.

Anyone taken early flights before who can offer any advice?

I think you are cutting it too close, yes, if everything goes smoothly, you will make your flight, BUT..what if the ship is late getting into the dock, what about security delays, customs, etc. what we always do is to book an overnight at a local hotel, take our time getting off, and head for home the next day...at our leisure

Sailing on the Silhouette this month out of FLL. We disembark on Easter Sunday and our flight leaves FLL at 10:35 am. Mildly concerned that we may have booked too early a flight. We will self disembark as early as possible and carry our own luggage off.

Catching an early flight at 10:30am shouldn't be a problem, if you will be walking your luggage off around 7:30am. The Immigration/Customs line will be very short, and there will be many taxis waiting outside for the 10 minute (3 miles) ride to the airport. That will get you to FLL well before the 2 hours before your flight, that the airlines' guidelines suggest.

I have to give this tip on how to get into a crowded elevator with your luggage, so that you don't have to take the stairs.... If you find that the elevators are full when you are trying to go down to the debark deck (usually 4 or 5???), with other passengers and luggage, then take the elevator going up... After you reach the top deck, stay on, and continue with your trip down to the deck you want!

I have to give this tip on how to get into a crowded elevator with your luggage' date=' so that you don't have to take the stairs.... If you find that the elevators are full when you are trying to go down to the debark deck (usually 4 or 5???), with other passengers and luggage, then take the elevator going up... After you reach the top deck, stay on, and continue with your trip down to the deck you want![/quote']

Good thinking!

We had a 10:25 flight last Nov when on the Equinox. Did regular disembark, caught a cab and were checked in and had time for breakfast before boarding.

Port Everglades to FLL is the only combo I will do a flight this early at.

Easter morning should be ok as cruise passengers are the life of the Ft Lauderdale economy. You should have no situations :D