Splendour of the Seas

bishop84

I see it has been reported that the Splendour of the Seas has been sold to TUI for their Thomson Cruises brand. I guess that rules out them as potential purchasers of the remaining S class ships which has previously been speculated on here?

Edited by bishop84

Hard to say. Thomson/TUI has this rather strange grab bag of ships they're acquired from several lines. We've seen a number in the Med over the past three years and we've almost made a game of trying to figure out what line and ship it used to be. Guess it gets down to how many ships they want for whatever itineraries they want to provide.

Edited by Randyk47

Hard to say. Thomson/TUI has this rather strange grab bag of ships they're acquired from several lines. We've seen a number in the Med over the past three years and we've almost made a game of trying to figure out what line and ship it used to be. Guess it gets down to how many ships they want for whatever itineraries they want to provide.

Probably.

TUI is an RCL company (50 percent joint venture) and they are Leasing the ship to Thomson.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2021308

It is TUI Cruises that is the joint venture between TUI and Royal Caribbean.

Separately the Splendour of the Seas will apparently be a replacement for Thomson's Island Escape the former Viking Serenade of Royal Caribbean. Another ship going to the scrap yard?

Two ex-HAL ships currently in the Thompson fleet, the Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam of 1983/84.

Evidently these are on charter to Thomson along with former Westerdam. they recently had a press release that they are modernizing their fleet and planning on new builds. They said they were going to refurbish former Noordam and former Westerdam but left out former Nieuw Amsterdam.

Wondering what HAL would do with these if they ended up being returned. They already had to repossess the former Nieuw Amsterdam from it's ill fated Hawaii service as I believe MS Patriot.

Evidently these are on charter to Thomson along with former Westerdam. they recently had a press release that they are modernizing their fleet and planning on new builds. They said they were going to refurbish former Noordam and former Westerdam but left out former Nieuw Amsterdam.

Wondering what HAL would do with these if they ended up being returned. They already had to repossess the former Nieuw Amsterdam from it's ill fated Hawaii service as I believe MS Patriot.

I would assume that it would be bad news for those ships if they got returned. I doubt seriously that HAL would bring them back on line. Notionally the whole reason they got rid of them in the first place was that they were no longer economy to run or maintain and time typically doesn't improve that. The options are get a new lease, temporarily mothball them pending a new lease, or sell them for pennies on the dollar for scrap. I fear scrap is the most likely. :(

I see it has been reported that the Splendour of the Seas has been sold to TUI for their Thomson Cruises brand. I guess that rules out them as potential purchasers of the remaining S class ships which has previously been speculated on here?

Saw this recently (2/17/15):

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12230.html

TUI is expanding like crazy so if they were to use those new Mein Schiff ships for Thomson as well then that would have them in the new custom build arena and yes... one less option for the "used" market

I would assume that it would be bad news for those ships if they got returned. I doubt seriously that HAL would bring them back on line. Notionally the whole reason they got rid of them in the first place was that they were no longer economy to run or maintain and time typically doesn't improve that. The options are get a new lease, temporarily mothball them pending a new lease, or sell them for pennies on the dollar for scrap. I fear scrap is the most likely. :(

I would be very sad to see them scrapped- wonderful ships (even if the best cabins looked at the lifeboats :)). I have vivid memories of sailing from the San Francisco pier on Nieuw Amsterdam with Rod Stewart's "I Am Sailing" blaring from the outside speakers and passengers singing along. Was always CD David DeHavilland's sail away song.