Kids' program NCL vs. others?

brownz

A friend of mine is considering NCL (and other lines) for an Alaskan cruise and is wondering how the kids' program (for a 10 y.o. boy) stacks up compared to other lines (they aren't interested in Disney).

(We've cruised NCL before but never with our kids, so we never really paid attention to their kids' program.)

• 2 months later...

Wow, surprised there r no responses to this post.

We haven't sailed ncl in few years, but at that time my girls greatly prefered ncl over carnival. The kids crew at that time on the Dawn was the Best crew we had ever had in any cruise we have taken our kids on. Infact I still remember 2 of the crews names, as they made a positive impact. ( I can't say this of any others)

- my biggest problem with Norwegian and Kids, is if u do a quad room, on certain ships its just way too tight. We r trying them again next week ( booked to cabins) so I. An give better advise when return.

I haven't sailed NCL yet (not until October), but I'm also interested in others' feedback. What I have read on these boards in the past month or two are widely varying experiences:

...from "my kids loved it," "there were so many activities," and "the kids didn't want to leave the club,"

...to "my kids were not interested," "there were not enough kids on the cruise so they combined age groups," and "the tweens didn't have enough to do."

I'm assuming the number of kids on board would make a big difference in the experience, and likely depends on the time of year you are cruising. School vacation times will obviously see more kids. So I'm really nervous that my kids won't find many new friends on an October cruise to Greece.

I can only compare to Carnival. We took my nephew on a Carnival cruise and he visited but refused to stay on the Carnival ship... we took him on the Breakaway and was begging to go at any chance he got. The staff seems to be so much fun and they even had a circus that the kids put on the last day in the theater. He can't wait to go again.. and I'm sure will spend a lot of time in the Splash Academy. (He's six years old if that matters)

You may want to try posting the same question on the Family board. There are many parents there who have tried a range of cruiselines so they can help you with the comparison. My kid loved the club but he's 3 so that isn't likely to be relevant to your own children.

I haven't sailed NCL yet (not until October), but I'm also interested in others' feedback. What I have read on these boards in the past month or two are widely varying experiences:

...from "my kids loved it," "there were so many activities," and "the kids didn't want to leave the club,"

...to "my kids were not interested," "there were not enough kids on the cruise so they combined age groups," and "the tweens didn't have enough to do."

I'm assuming the number of kids on board would make a big difference in the experience, and likely depends on the time of year you are cruising. School vacation times will obviously see more kids. So I'm really nervous that my kids won't find many new friends on an October cruise to Greece.

The opinion split happens in every cruise line and depends on too many factors and is very subjective.

We're Gold CC with DCL and our kids had lost all interest in the kids program last 2-3 voyages. The oldest entertained himself around the ship (since he's too young to be in the 'tween room and me and my wife entertained our youngest).

It depends on personnel, in the mood and disposition of the kids, age, things to do by themselves, group activities, etc.

I think you need to look at what the whole ship has to offer, not just the kids program. See the facilities, the pools, splash park, the mini golf, etc. So if the kid doesn't warm up to the kids' program, at least you know you can entertain them in some other way.

We sailed the jewel last year may 31(I think). The kids club was kinda odd. My 12 year old didn't like it, she was the oldest, but it would have been perfect had she been 10. My 16 had fun but her and 2 CC members kids hung out a lot. We sailed when many schools were still holding classes so that affects the number of kids. We did that on purpose, lol. As my girls are very close and have no problem be each other's companion. They kids seemed to be having fun when ever we ran into them on the ship. Scavenger hunts and such.

We just did the Pearl... the kids club for my 11 year old (the Dolphins 10-12 year olds) was awesome. Great counselors. Activities that really fit the age group...

On any given day they had sports court time, circus skills (they put on a show at the end of the week on the main stage), and theme games--which were between 7 and 10-10:30 pm. The theme games and circus were the big draws. The theme games were games based on Survivor, Hunger Games (they called District 12), Divergent (which they called Factions), Boys vs Girls, Black OPs... it was really really cool. Some involved scavenger hunts... All I know is there was no way my daughter would miss the night activity. So we ate dinner at 5:30 so she could make it in time.

I am sad because she will be in Entourage on our next trip... which I have heard mixed reviews about.

My biggest tip, is the kids need to go on night 1. That is when the friends are made.

We just did the Pearl... the kids club for my 11 year old (the Dolphins 10-12 year olds) was awesome. Great counselors. Activities that really fit the age group...

On any given day they had sports court time, circus skills (they put on a show at the end of the week on the main stage), and theme games--which were between 7 and 10-10:30 pm. The theme games and circus were the big draws. The theme games were games based on Survivor, Hunger Games (they called District 12), Divergent (which they called Factions), Boys vs Girls, Black OPs... it was really really cool. Some involved scavenger hunts... All I know is there was no way my daughter would miss the night activity. So we ate dinner at 5:30 so she could make it in time.

I am sad because she will be in Entourage on our next trip... which I have heard mixed reviews about.

My biggest tip, is the kids need to go on night 1. That is when the friends are made.

Was your cruise during a school holiday season? Were there a lot of other 10-12 year olds?

Was your cruise during a school holiday season? Were there a lot of other 10-12 year olds?

It was during spring break. But it was an 11 day cruise, so we only had about 100 kids on board. I think 15 kids was the most that showed up at Dolphins camp on any given night.

Edited by Kierste

We just got off the Pearl from LA to Vancouver, and my 5 year old son loved the Splash Academy. The staff there really made him feel at home there and encouraged him and all the other kids to participate and make friends.

It was really neat to see other kids come up to him when he was with us, just to say hi.

I agree that being there the first night is where they make the most friends and get comfortable. I would also recommend getting him/her signed up early in the day (I think they do two sign ups 1-3 and 5-7?) as it is definitely less busy during the early one.

If you want to get on their good side, try to pick up your child when they ask you to... I could see them getting irritated when the same parents were always late picking up (it cuts into their break and meal times), although in the evening session they are there later so its not so important.

My son loved the program overall.

We've cruised on every line with our kids at all ages. They are teens now.

I can tell you the major lines run the programming for Kids Club very similar. The activities they do are very similar, the staff is similar, the whole set up is very much the same.

Some smaller differences though.....On Carnival, every night, if your child wants they can eat with the other kids. You just simply walk them to the buffet, you find the kids club group and they eat together. Done.

On NCL, they offer one night only where you can sign up and if you are lucky enough to be in the first 20 or so signed up, you can eat that one night with the kids club. Every other night your kid is with you for dinner. Some people might not care about this but many, many 10 year olds don't want to sit thru a nice sit down dinner but their parents DO! Some people, if given the option on any given night to eat with the kids club, it is a great benefit! It also makes specialty dining easier for parents!

Another difference is that on NCL, for some reason, they close down kids club on the days the ship is in port. You might not care, your 10 year old might do all activities with you in port. But for some kids, they would rather not go off the ship...perhaps they aren't scuba certified and the adults are scuba diving or perhaps they don't weigh enough for the zip lining adventure planned. There are reasons that a kid would want to just stay on the ship. On every other cruise line Kids Club runs during port days. Port days are regular programming days. On NCL, you can hire babysitting service on port days if you need to. If you do this you *might* get lucky and get a great staff member that actively cares for the kids or you might get one that pops in a movie....we've had both types. You pay extra for this babysitting service.

Also, this might not apply to you but NCL is super strict with moving kids from age group to age group to be with friends or family. Say you have a kid that is 3 days too young for the older age group but all her cousins are in the next older age group. NCL will not make an exception for that kid. Not under any circumstances. The other cruise lines will be much more flexible and child focused. One year we went on a cruise with family that live cross country. The kids hardly ever see each other and when they are on this vacation they want to spend their time together, with their family.....guess what, NCL told us that my daughter would make "new" friends and I should be flexible.

Like I said, I've cruised on all lines, I'm a gold member of Latitudes and the equivalent on other cruise lines as well. I can tell you NCL is not all that "freestyle" with their kids club programming.

Maybe these issues won't bother you.

Compared to carnival,

Carnival is open port days and feeds them lunch for free.

Carnival also does not close during the lunch hour while at sea but does not feed the kids.

Carnival feeds the kids at 6PM diner for free, so that mom and dad can have their own dinner options. NCL is closed between 5-7.

Carnival is more parent user friendly. It also seems more "freestyle" than NCL.

Carnival you can pre-register before you cruise, NCL requires you to register once on board.

That said my kids have enjoyed both programs equally and both did a great job. Both have strict security and both require your S&S card to check the kids in and out. NCL requires a bit more in that you also have to have the kids S&S cards as well.

We just did a fantastic cruise on Breeze last week and the kids program was the new Camp Ocean which the kids enjoyed as much as old Camp Carnival.

We have a cruise planned on NCL Escape next year.

Ill post back here in 3 weeks after our first NCL cruise. We have experience with Royal, DCL and Carnival, and because we cruise often, They've been thru all the levels with each company, with Royal being their favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

I said i would respond after my cruise, so hear i am...Just got off the pearl to Alaska on the 17th

my 9 year old daughter LOVED it and wanted to go often.

Problem is because they had lower number of kids so they combined 6-12, and this is were the problem lied. My 12 year old HATED it, as activities were way too young. Camp counsellors said that they were unable to move her up a level, which would have solved problem. they also admitted that the other 12 year olds were feeling the exact way. :(

In my opinion the amount of kids on this cruise were still high enough to split groups, or allow 12 year olds up a level. they did however have a good number of youth.

camp staff: they were fabulous, a great team!!

I was recently on the Getaway. My review of Splash Academy is here.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2212485&referrerid=817697

It includes the schedule of activities. You will see that it is open on port days. You have to pay for the lunch.

My son loved it. He's 7. We've been on Disney and RCL. I think it was his favourite. He did really well considering he has special needs. I think he enjoyed being in the older group. Before he was in younger groups. The structure and activities are similar to RCL but the NCL staff were better IMO.

On nights that we wanted to dine on our own we brought my son to dinner in the buffet at around 6pm. We would have a light snack if we were hungry and couldn't wait until 7pm. Then we would drop him off at Splash Academy at 7pm and go to dinner.

Edited by LASilva

I keep seeing to send the kids the first night to make friends. I'm wondering if that's as important for preschoolers as it is for older kids? The first session starts at bedtime for my 4-year-olds but my daughter is also hesitant around new people some I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep them up late for it.

I keep seeing to send the kids the first night to make friends. I'm wondering if that's as important for preschoolers as it is for older kids? The first session starts at bedtime for my 4-year-olds but my daughter is also hesitant around new people some I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep them up late for it.

We didn't send our almost-4 year old on the first night. With time zones, he fell asleep at the dinner table as it was. And it made no difference, I'm sure. He loved every day of it regardless. The age group's activities are so big group oriented.

We didn't send our almost-4 year old on the first night. With time zones, he fell asleep at the dinner table as it was. And it made no difference, I'm sure. He loved every day of it regardless. The age group's activities are so big group oriented.

Thanks!

We just got off the Jewel, and my 10yo DD loved Splash Academy! She said it was way better than Disney...where she was at the top of the age group (9) for that cruise. Splash seemed better organized, and had scheduled activities vs the mostly free for all we would see on DCL.

In general, my kids have adored Splash Academy. That said, I would compare age breaks. For example, my kids are almost 9, and SA break is ages 6-9. We just got off a ship and there were some activities they no longer wanted to do, like Pirate Night and Circus Day. They have either "aged" out of it or are bored of it. (3rd NCL cruise in a year). With a 10 year old, I think you'd be in great shape with NCL because I think it is 6-9 and then 10-12. My almost-9-year olds are kind of embarrassed to do 6 year old stuff. So check out the other line... if it is 7-10, you could run in to the same problem. There are absolutely NO exceptions to change age groups.

Our daughter loved the kids club both times she cruised, once on the Jewel age 4 and on the Breakaway age 7. We signed her up on the first day but didn't send her until the second day. She had no problem making friends.

Just back from the Epic yesterday. Fabulous kids crew on board. Sons 7 and 10 years old loved it and were sad whenever we picked them up. One day we gave them the option of visiting Mallorca with us or staying in Splash Academy and the question was hardly out of my mouth before they shouted Splash Academy. No problem with them being there while in port - fully open and no extra charge. Yes you do need to pay if you want kids club to take them to eat but we simply took ours to Garden Café for an early dinner in the 5-7pm slot, then signed them in to Splash Academy at 7pm and then went for our grown up dinner if we wanted to do that. The 6-9s and 10-12s did the same activities on this cruise but my 10 yr old thought these were lots of fun (circus skills, pillow fights, create your own country) and not at all babyish. Thoroughly recommend.