Why Do YOU Think It IS

qsuzi

Off topic but Lizzie, you have a link to your e-mail and it didn't work for me.

Just wanted you to know in case there are people you would like to be able to reach you.

triple post - CC issues I think!

Edited by Lizzie68

Just wanted you to know in case there are people you would like to be able to reach you.

triple post - CC issues I think!

Edited by Lizzie68

Interesting. It was working fine up until yesterday. But thanks anyway, I'll check it out.

We have taken 5 cruises on HAL with the 6th coming soon. When I do a review for a different site, I am used to writing a paragraph or two as a summary of the experience. Cruise reviews seem to be quite long and detailed, and I am not used to or interested in doing more than quick summaries. Therefore, I have never done a cruise review for any cruise line.

Same for me, I used to write reviews but I submitted one that was a summary of key points and they asked for much more detail before publishing it. I don't always have time to write a detailed review so I stopped doing them.

As a 'senior', I resent such a statement. I'm in the social security set and most of my friends are. Only one I know of does not use the internet frequently and are at least reasonably competent on line. They have tablets (though I don't) and use their smart phones.

I'm not sure what 'HAL passenger stereotypes' you reference especially seeing HAL has chosen to make it necessary for us to print our own luggage tags (or wait to get them at the pier), certainly encourages researching cruises on their website seeing the scarcity of brochures/Atlas, research deck plans and choose cabins, pre-register on line........ If we seniors are so techno imcompetent how do we manage to get find our cruises, get them booked, pre-register, pre-reserve our alternative dining, research HAL's offered excursions and get them booked on line? HAL expects us to be computer able.... so most of us must be?

Contradiction here as I see it and maybe a bit insulting.

Well, you can resent anything you like because I can't be held responsible for you you feel.

OP asked why us, the various posters on CC THINK there aren't as many HAL reviews as there are others.

Points have been brought up about passenger counts, I added in sailing lengths but don't we pretty much get a post or two in here every other week about "I'm XX years old and I hear HAL is for old people. Did I make a mistake?" This is not imagined, this is a fact and a rather common HAL stereotype.

I said nothing about if the stereotypes are substantiated or not or even all that accurate or not. I simply said that if you want to play along with those stereotypes then that could be a factor as well.

To take offense to it, resent it or get on a high horse about it is nothing more than you finding a way to get offended where it was never intended... Not to mention the fact that if you're on here you're likely to be a little more adept when it comes to CC and technology... that's a given... (or apparently not given this snippy little reply.) But again... I can't control what you or others choose to get hypersensitive about simply because you saw I posted a reply, you didn't agree with it 100% (like you ever would) and felt it was a great time to sound off... :rolleyes:

Edited by InTheWASide

I get my reservations at the Greyhound station! We don't have all the gimmicks but do have laptop, (Christmas gift) and cell phones, they make calls, take pics and send-rec. text. The cameras in them is because you can't buy one without it. People who post reviews are about 50% whiners and 30 % winers! LOL I don't pick because of reviews any way. Make my own choice then decide after god or bad. Just got off Liberty of the Seas and it was crowded with 4400 souls. Big deal, knew it before I went how many it held and it was full.

I wasn't offended and I'm 65. I am very tech savvy but I think most people 70 and over are a little more leery of technology. In the beginning it was easy to delete all your files and it made people, like my husband, very hesitant to even use a computer. Eventually he started enjoying it. I still do all the printing out stuff though. He can't seem to maneuver between pages as well. Most of my friends are quite tech savvy also, but a fair number aren't. It's a fact of life, some people don't like change and some don't want to learn a new (and often improved) way of doing things. Especially my husband who has aspergers and whew, change is something he HATES!

I wasn't offended and I'm 65.

[...snip...]

Most of my friends are quite tech savvy also, but a fair number aren't. It's a fact of life, some people don't like change and some don't want to learn a new (and often improved) way of doing things.

Thank you.

I don't think being old and less tech savy is the reason why there are fewer HAL reviews. Most 70+ year olds I know have computers and email and iphones and could easily write a review. I do think the age of HAL passengers may play into it in this way. If the average age of a HAL cruiser is 55 plus, they have been around long enough and have been on enough cruises to know most people really don't care about their personal opinion of their cruise or the ship they sailed. If I read a negative review, I am extremely suspicious of the writer's motives. And, if it's good review....it's usually pretty redundant because I've been on enough wonderful cruises that I don't need to read about the service, food etc . IMHO, most cruises are pretty much alike in most cases. I think reviews are fun for newbies to read. Those of us who sail on HAL are seasoned enough to know there are better things to do than write a review. It has nothing to do with not having access to a computer. And, 70 is not that old!!! For those who think it is, think again! At any rate, I think younger people are more excited about their new experience and want to share it.

I agree with your comments, and would also add that the typical HAL cruiser is an experienced cruiser and thus may not feel obligated to review cruises after they have been on a few.

igraf

My past experience with reviews in general is that the majority of them are from customers that are not satisfied. Maybe the lack of reviews is a good thing. My DW and I , just returned from a Eurodam cruise on Feb.22, we had the best time. I'm keeping it a secret and not posting a review,lol

A few is likely the operative word. There are still a few people who don't have a cell phone, don't have cable tv, even some who may not have indoor plumbing. There are always some exceptions.

Ok, so I admit that after a few rough patches on CC I am really starting to like your style. And yes, we are Seniors but also happen to be very computer savvy and have even helped some children (under 50) set up their own home networks :). While we do agree that HAL does seem to attract an awful lot of Seniors, we have found many of these folks are more "with it" then their children :).

Hank

I wasn't offended and I'm 65. I am very tech savvy but I think most people 70 and over are a little more leery of technology. In the beginning it was easy to delete all your files and it made people, like my husband, very hesitant to even use a computer. Eventually he started enjoying it. I still do all the printing out stuff though. He can't seem to maneuver between pages as well. Most of my friends are quite tech savvy also, but a fair number aren't. It's a fact of life, some people don't like change and some don't want to learn a new (and often improved) way of doing things. Especially my husband who has aspergers and whew, change is something he HATES!

Thank you.

Nana51 our experience is similar. We have several "senior" friends who have embraced technology, and many more who have not. The ones who have not embraced it can still usually send and receive email, because a kid, friend or hired assistant has set up an icon on their desktop.

In the group that we know, the ones who have embraced technology are the exception, though. That is not a negative reflection on the non-tech-embracing, it is just the way it is. They aren't interested, have no desire to do it, see no improvement in their lives by doing it, or feel (due to their "position") that they will just get someone else to look after the "details". They get their kid, friend or hired assistant to do whatever must be done using technology.

Nana51 our experience is similar. We have several "senior" friends who have embraced technology, and many more who have not. The ones who have not embraced it can still usually send and receive email, because a kid, friend or hired assistant has set up an icon on their desktop.

In the group that we know, the ones who have embraced technology are the exception, though. That is not a negative reflection on the non-tech-embracing, it is just the way it is. They aren't interested, have no desire to do it, see no improvement in their lives by doing it, or feel (due to their "position") that they will just get someone else to look after the "details". They get their kid, friend or hired assistant to do whatever must be done using technology.

Well, it's good they actually have a desk top on which their kid, friend or hired assistant get put an icon. :) So, they've gotten a device of some sort. That's progress.

Getting back to OP's question.........

Is that why they don't write reviews on CC? :)

Edited by sail7seas

Ok, so I admit that after a few rough patches on CC I am really starting to like your style. And yes, we are Seniors but also happen to be very computer savvy and have even helped some children (under 50) set up their own home networks :). While we do agree that HAL does seem to attract an awful lot of Seniors, we have found many of these folks are more "with it" then their children :).

Hank

:) If nothing else, it's direct.

This is so silly for us to be going back and forth who knows the most seniors who use computers/tablets etc and who knows the most who remain out of that loop. Who cares! It's ridiculous and I don't 'buy' it as a reason fewer HAL cruisers write reviews than cruisers from other cruise lines/CC forums.

This is so silly for us to be going back and forth who knows the most seniors who use computers/tablets etc and who knows the most who remain out of that loop. Who cares! It's ridiculous and I don't 'buy' it as a reason fewer HAL cruisers write reviews than cruisers from other cruise lines/CC forums.

You asked a question and I was just answering it.

I guess it was just a rhetorical question.

[quote name='cruisemom42']You asked a question and I was just answering it.

I guess it was just a rhetorical question.[/QUOTE]

[B] I actually quoted Hiltner..... :) Not you. It's lost a bit of context some number of posts down from your post but that's okay.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas