What is the process of checking wine bottles on the ship

There really isn't a process.

We put them in our carry-ons and place it on the scanner. Most of the time, we just pick up our carry-ons on the other end of the security checkpoint, no questions asked. Once, we were asked to open our carry-on so they could verify that it was a wine bottle.

Two years ago, in Baltimore, they were VERY carefully looking at wine bottles as they went through the scanners, picking them up, examining the tops to see if they had been opened, etc. I do not know why. It was the port security doing it, not any RCCL employees. At the same time, I walked through the scanner and the buzzer went off. I told the guy that I had a metal brace on my knee (under my pants) and he said to just go ahead and did not even check it. I thought the whole system was bizarre on THAT day. Also, it took us about 90 minutes to get through what was not a very long line.

Been through Liberty and Everglades since they made the change and no problems with either one. We have just put the bottles in the carry-on and no issues. I think they only look to make sure it's not more than 2 bottles per person, even though 2 per stateroom in the rule.

Carry on is the best route since it isn't even the cruise ship employees who look at those bags, just port security folks.

I even got the feeling that if my wife and I split up at the security scanners we could probably get 2 bottles on each. I've never done this (I don't drink much wine so 4 bottles would be a lot for my wife in a week), but it is my feeling after seeing how it is handled in 3-4 different ports.

Carry on is the best route since it isn't even the cruise ship employees who look at those bags, just port security folks.

I even got the feeling that if my wife and I split up at the security scanners we could probably get 2 bottles on each. I've never done this (I don't drink much wine so 4 bottles would be a lot for my wife in a week), but it is my feeling after seeing how it is handled in 3-4 different ports.

That would be a valid assumption in most ports. When doing a B2B you are allowed 4 bottles. Rather than explaining why we have 4, we usually just split up at the x-ray and have never been questioned (yet?).