renting a wheel chair for a cruise

carwar

We have booked a Holland America cruise out of Boston on the Maasdam ... my husband needs a wheel chair to get around the ship as he tires easily when walking long distances. We were told to call Care Vacations which I did. We thought we could just use a "companion wheelchair" as it is much lighter (19lbs) instead of (44 lbs ) for a regular wheel chair (price is the same so not the issue) ... however the agent I j spoke with told me they have had complaints that since the companion chair has very small wheels it is much harder to push on carpeting ... has anyone had any experience with this chair on ships ... he will not be wheeling himself and we just thought the lighter chair would be easier to use on shore excursions.

We have booked a Holland America cruise out of Boston on the Maasdam ... my husband needs a wheel chair to get around the ship as he tires easily when walking long distances. We were told to call Care Vacations which I did. We thought we could just use a "companion wheelchair" as it is much lighter (19lbs) instead of (44 lbs ) for a regular wheel chair (price is the same so not the issue) ... however the agent I j spoke with told me they have had complaints that since the companion chair has very small wheels it is much harder to push on carpeting ... has anyone had any experience with this chair on ships ... he will not be wheeling himself and we just thought the lighter chair would be easier to use on shore excursions.

i have both. the companion chair IS harder to push on carpeting and also makes it impossible for the user to have any self control. the are really intended to be used for short term transport between locations( car to airplane, for instance) not touring around.

Could he drive a scooter on board? Care Vacations and Special Needs at Sea rent them for folks with mobility issues. MY DW has rented them for the past six years and uses them in nearly every port.

I have not used a wheelchair on a cruise ship yet. I have been wheelchair dependent four times in my life due to broken feet/foot surgery. If the lighter "companion" chair has four small wheels instead of two big and two small wheels, there are two potential problems. First, as someone already mentioned, the seated person can't move him/herself at all. Of course you may plan to always push, but this means even while sitting still the chair user can't turn to get a change a scenery, see someone speaking beside or behind him or her, etc. To be unable to move at all on one's own is incredibly frustrating.

Second, the small wheels easily get stuck where the surface changes texture. The crack at the entrance to an elevator and raised trim at the threshold of any door are examples. In a regular wheelchair it is often necessary to go over these obstacles backwards, big wheels first. The small wheels won't clear the crack or trim. In a companion chair, the occupant has to stand or semi-stand while the chair is pushed over the obstacle, then sit back down. It's dangerous and inconvenient.

I'm sorry to be long-winded, but you can't know the pitfalls until you've been there.

Best wishes and enjoy your cruise.

Vicki

There is a disabled cruisers forum here on CC. You might want to post this question there, too

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I haven't had experience with the companion chair but have been the pusher on the regular wheelchair. I think the occupant would get a bumpier ride with the companion chair, and I think you might find it harder to maneuver on rough surfaces (in addition to carpeted surfaces).

What is it about the weight of the regular chair that concerns you? And what shorex are you planning?