Carnival Pride balcony question

Shel9365

We are taking our kids (three boys, ages 7, 5 & 2) on their first cruise this year on the Pride. We have two connecting balcony rooms booked. We are already talking to them about not going on the balcony alone and never to climb near the railing or they can fall off the boat. Not that they should have any opportunity for this to happen, as we do WATCH our kids, but...

My question is how hard is it to open the door to the balcony? And does it lock? I think I'll get one of those door alarms that go off if the door is opened, but I am still wondering how easy it would actually be for my 2 year old to open the door himself.

Any other tips you have for cruising with kids would be appreciated also!

Thanks!! :)

The lock is not really that high. Below the door handle. I was also surprised there was no slide lock up high like on Dream, Freedom ect. I would suggest having the balcony divider opened between the 2 rooms and stick the chair in front of their door at night. Happy cruising!

The lock is higher up the door, so the 2-yr old shouldn't be able to get to it. I can't quite remember exactly how high it is, so I'm not sure about the 5-yr old. That could be a close one.

Thank you! My 5 year old definitely knows better. I want to say the 2 year old does also, but he IS only 2. :p

The lock is not really that high. Below the door handle. I was also surprised there was no slide lock up high like on Dream, Freedom ect. I would suggest having the balcony divider opened between the 2 rooms and stick the chair in front of their door at night. Happy cruising!

I was planning on having the divider opened, putting the chair in front of the door is a good idea. Thanks!

We are taking our kids (three boys, ages 7, 5 & 2) on their first cruise this year on the Pride. We have two connecting balcony rooms booked. We are already talking to them about not going on the balcony alone and never to climb near the railing or they can fall off the boat. Not that they should have any opportunity for this to happen, as we do WATCH our kids, but...

My question is how hard is it to open the door to the balcony? And does it lock? I think I'll get one of those door alarms that go off if the door is opened, but I am still wondering how easy it would actually be for my 2 year old to open the door himself.

As others have stated, there is a HIGH secondary lock, but we found a simple instruction of to NEVER open that door worked well, as well as NEVER stand on a chair or table ANYWHERE.

If you have little demons, throw a suitcase in front of that door that they can't move (and can't climb on top to reach that lock).

Here's cabin 7220 on Pride. There was no sliding lock like on other ships. There was a small knob, right under the handle, that turned. The door itself was very heavy. I really can't imagine 7 and 5 year olds opening it themselves. I often had to push hard to open it, like I do on every Carnival ship. It did close quickly so watch out for fingers, adult and kid.

ry%3D400

As others have stated, there is a HIGH secondary lock, but we found a simple instruction of to NEVER open that door worked well, as well as NEVER stand on a chair or table ANYWHERE.

If you have little demons, throw a suitcase in front of that door that they can't move (and can't climb on top to reach that lock).

Yes, I will be putting the fear into them about standing on anything! My kids aren't (usually!) demons, but they are certainly BOYS! And we all know boys sometimes think they're monkeys. lol

Here's cabin 7220 on Pride. There was no sliding lock like on other ships. There was a small knob, right under the handle, that turned. The door itself was very heavy. I really can't imagine 7 and 5 year olds opening it themselves. I often had to push hard to open it, like I do on every Carnival ship. It did close quickly so watch out for fingers, adult and kid.

ry%3D400

Thank you for the picture! I was hoping that the doors were heavy, that makes me feel better! When we were in Disney in November a member from our Disney facebook group posted about having to go to the emergency room with her toddler who got the top of her finger cut off in the bathroom door in their hotel. :eek: Definitely going to be careful about that NEVER happening to us! :confused:

Thank you everyone for your replies!

We were on the Pride this year. My Wife would never sleep if the kids had a balcony even though they are in their teens. They get an interior, I get the balcony. Not really a choice with younger kids.

The door in 6237 was heavy and pretty darn hard to open. I do not think a younger child could do it. It also was not quiet to open. I would probably still have to make sure that theirs could not be opened just for my own peace of mind.

Edited by asalligo

I am very surprised that any balcony doors wouldn't have a lock to them. That shocks me. I haven't had a balcony on Pride or any of her sister ships, but I just assumed that they had one like the other ships.

We've had balcony rooms on six cruises. They all have locks, some are just higher up on the doors than others.

not sure if you know that on the pride and all spirit class ships the 2 forward balconies (1 on starboard side, and 1 on port side)on deck 5,6, and 7 connect to an interior room. there are only 6 of these connecting type rooms on the ship and they go fast. not sure if they are available on your cruise but it something to think about. we have used them 3 times in the past with the kids and have a 4th cruise in the rooms coming up.

looking at the deck plans now and unfortunately all the rooms i am talking about are max occupancy of 2 per cabin so they won't work for you if you have 3 kids in one room and 2 adults in the other.:mad:

Hi,

There are rooms that have enough beds for 4 in one room. We have one on the Veranda deck. There is a King size bed and a sofa bed with a bunk above.

They need 5. No cabin in the Spirit class will hold 5.

Thank you everyone! I'm glad the door is heavy. We'll just put the chair or something to block the door and use the door alarm. I'm sure they'll follow the rules, but I wanted to have some precautions in place just in case. :)

ry%3D400

WOW. I've been on the Pride twice & never paid attention to the locks. I would have bet that the door had the high slide lock. I even looked at a couple of my pics & sure enough they are not there. Good attention to detail.