Passport vs passport card for kids

Like I said in my first reply, the only problem with that is if he or she had a medical emergency out side the country they wouldn't be able to be flown home. In other words they would have to stay in the foreign hospital till they got better. Then I guess, take a ship home.

That is simply not true......................

Edited by bouhunter

I agree. Funny the stuff people make up as they go along, LOL

You mean stuff on the interwebs are made up????

I have had a passport since I went to Spain in highschool, except for a couple of years where I didn't renew it. I used my BC (from my burth county department) and DL with no issues. I did renew my passport and have used that on several more cruises. I knew the risks of the BC/DL route, and didn't have any issues.

OP - When we really think about it the risks of BC/DL are actually pretty small. Yes, it takes one time, but don't sweat the small stuff. I would get the passport for the 19 year old, and use BC/DL for the 15 year old (or state issued ID, many states issue ID's for 15+) and for the 13 year old, use their BC only. I know if I was in your situation that is what I would do if I didn't plan on using the passport in the next few years.

Just want to point out that in some towns it is the Health Dept that does the birth certificates, so if you don't have an Office of Vital Stats, try the Health Dept.

Exactly, we can get birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc. from our City Clerk's department for $10 each, same day. Used to be only $5 but they increased it recently.

Saying that sort of thing really waters down the message. Because it's not true, so then everything seems suspect. You can get an emergency passport.

Here's the issue. If you're on a BC and you have an emergency (or a family member and everyone wants to go home), you have to *get one*. That takes some time, annoyance, and more money than just getting one at home. Yes you'll get home, but it's not going to be as fast, and it will be more expensive.

Contact the vital statistics office in the county of birth. Get the certified birth certificate. (though cpb.gov actually says just a COPY is fine) Some states like CA have raised seals. Other states like WA have flat swirly stamps. Both are the marks of certification for their respective states.

If you last got a BC years ago, check with your local offices to see if yours is the most "legal" of them. There have been changes in that last few years about what info needs to be on them. My own BC (ordered 20 years ago) is fine; it has spots for both of my parents. Someone from a different state might need to get a new certified copy (anyone remember the kerfluffle about Obama's long form vs short form from Hawaii?), so check with the vital statistics office that's relevant to you and your family.

In how many places in the Caribbean can you get a passport issued?