Merged Katrina Threads

lele100

This was in the British Daily Telegraph Editorial.....Hits the nail on the head!

"Individualism is one of America's many adornments. But it can hamper efficiency as competing voices wrangle over who should be responsible, or to blame, for what. The challenge facing Mr Bush is to harness the native "can-do" spirit to a co-ordinated rescue plan masterminded by the White House and the Department of Homeland Security."

Here in California we are warned regularly to keep an earthquake emergency kit at home the reason being in case of a major earthquake we should not expect government help for 3 days. It seems that rule of thumb works for hurricanes as well if you cant get out the supplies and help have the same trouble getting in.

My home emergancy kit is getting a few more days worth of food. It's taken 5 days to manage to get a convoy to the convention center.

All of this is making my heart hurt. What tragedy and heartbreak. I am sick for the people of the South and all the animals that will be abandoned and left to make it on their own. I certainly hope there will be a sweep through the city to help some of these poor unfortunate animals. I will make a donation as well as I did to Red Cross already. Prayers will be our best means of support right now for all of God's creatures. I keep telling my dog how lucky he is to be here. Wish I could do more.4_9_18.gifWhat a sad time for many people right now.

Food for thought.

Are the typhoons over in the other parts of the world Bush's fault, or are other countries putting the blame on the leaders of those nations being effected by those powerful storms, or is it as always American leaders get the blame for anything and everything world wide.

Since Bush is being blamed for the hurricane's due to global climate change I guess he blamed for the ICE AGE, STONE AGE etc. There will always be natural disaster because it has been that way from the beginning of time.

I donated to the Humane Society last night and I have donated to the Red Cross. I can barely read stories about these poor people and their animals. The animals have no idea what is going on and are so lost and confused.

Food for thought.

Are the typhoons over in the other parts of the world Bush's fault, or are other countries putting the blame on the leaders of those nations being effected by those powerful storms, or is it as always American leaders get the blame for anything and everything world wide.

Since Bush is being blamed for the hurricane's due to global climate change I guess he blamed for the ICE AGE, STONE AGE etc. There will always be natural disaster because it has been that way from the beginning of time.

You appear to have missed the point of the criticism. Bush admits that the response to the disaster has been unacceptable so far. Bush gets blamed because: a) he fired the Army guy who wanted to build larger levees in New Orleans, 2) he reduced funding for same, 3) he activated so many National Guard units for action in Iraq that many Govenors have complained that it leaves the states unprepared for natural disasters (fires in the West etc). True. 4) the US failure to even begin to address Global Warming has nothing to do with the hurricane or the reaction to it. However, we as a country need to prepare for similar disasters in the future as low lying coastal areas become more vulnerable.

(I also donated to the Red Cross..so I didn't choose animals over people)

Actually, you did. You had X amount of money to donate and decided that some of it was better spent helping animals than people.

The pets stories are very sad, yes, but when it comes right down to it if it going to be a person or a dog saved, I'd say save the person. They don't currently have the nearly capability needed to rescue all the people, so I don't think they have the luxury of worrying about pets.

another orginization you guys might want to consider supporting

is the united animal nations, EARS rescue team (Emergency Animal Rescue Team)

http://www.uan.org

they currently have over 400 volunteers deployed to the gulf region

rescueing, and sheltering animals affected bu hurricane Katrina

they do good work

Mitch

On the one hand the President always gets more blame than he deserves if something bad happens, and more credit than he deserves when something good happens. But in this case I don't see that things would have happened much differently no matter who was president.

Clinton didn't fix the levees either, and I believe this problem has been known forever. And Congress has as much or more to do with where money is spent than the president does. Like that idiotic $231M bridge to some island in Alaska that has only 50 resiudents, while the same bill only provided $42M for levees in New Orleans. Why? Because an Alaskan is the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, not a Louisianan. That's why.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/09/01/national/w150610D22.DTL

But as far as the buck stopping here, I notice Bush wasted no time in deflecting the blame to his subordinates saying their response was unacceptable. The buck shot up to the top and George deftly sent that blame back toward the bottom again.

On the one hand the President always gets more blame than he deserves if something bad happens, and more credit than he deserves when something good happens. But in this case I don't see that things would have happened much differently no matter who was president.

I agree with this.

However, because of the "the buck stops here" effect, the President holds ultimate responsibility for the federal response. And as you noted, he himself has admitted that teh response is less than satisfactory.

Now we just need to move forward and help who we can help. I'm as guilty as the next guy of pointing fingers, but there is plenty of time for blame later, I guess.

..to see our Military convoys descending on NOLA. I got a lump in my throat seeing the greatest nation on earth coming to the aid and rescue of the victims of likely the greatest storm ever to hit our shores. God Bless the first responders' date=' the brave civilians that have risked their lives to come to the aid of their fellow Americans. We are, after all Americans.

Mike[/quote']It is a great sight...... but about 2-3 days too late, IMO.

You appear to have missed the point of the criticism. Bush admits that the response to the disaster has been unacceptable so far. Bush gets blamed because: a) he fired the Army guy who wanted to build larger levees in New Orleans, 2) he reduced funding for same, 3) he activated so many National Guard units for action in Iraq that many Govenors have complained that it leaves the states unprepared for natural disasters (fires in the West etc). True. 4) the US failure to even begin to address Global Warming has nothing to do with the hurricane or the reaction to it. However, we as a country need to prepare for similar disasters in the future as low lying coastal areas become more vulnerable.

No i did not miss the point. When it comes to New Orleans is they have known centuries that this could happen. I know because I live here in Louisiana. They should have been prepared. Can't blame Bush for the levees they were constructed long before his time and the fight to rebuild them stronger has been going on for eons but the local and state did not want to spend the money.

An just my HO I am a church goer and to me with all the natural disaster WORLD WIDE and WARS upon WARS it is just scripture coming to pass. It is going to happen to the UNITED STATES right along with every other nation. Nature can't be stop Global warming or no Global warming.

Actually, you did. You had X amount of money to donate and decided that some of it was better spent helping animals than people.

The pets stories are very sad, yes, but when it comes right down to it if it going to be a person or a dog saved, I'd say save the person. They don't currently have the nearly capability needed to rescue all the people, so I don't think they have the luxury of worrying about pets.

Well Jim, if its a choice between an innocent dog or an innocent baby, I'm with you. But if the choice is between an innocent dog or one of those jerks that looted a wal-mart, have a gun & are sniping at folks? Dog wins everytime. At least the lost animals won't attack anyone out of greed or avarice.

And if you need any other reason to want to save the animals, they have been known in situations like this to resort to eating dead folks to survive. Because, after all, they are animals. So kudos to the folks taking time & $ to save them. Plenty of folks will donate to the people & the gov't will help them too. But I KNOW the gov't won't help the pets, so it is nice to see folks doing so.

It's gonna be time after our Oct. cruise to get a dog again. I think we are both ready. Our 75lb baby died at age 11 in March of lymphoma. May all the pets who died in this rest in peace as well.:)

One of your claims is blatantly false, so I have to assume they all are false until you can source them. Lt. General Russell H. Honore has already knocked down your calim that too many National Guard troops are in Iraq. There are 400,000 NG Troops, 90,000 of them in Iraq. I ask you sir, source your material.

It makes me SICK every time I think about all of these poor animals that had to be left behind and are dying or already dead. How scary must it be for them to see their owner having to leave them behind to fend for themselves. They have to be so scared and confused.

I donated to the Red Cross and will be making a donation to an animal rescue organization involved in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts as soon as I get paid next. I have no guilt in donating to the animal organizations because they need help too.

Thanks for the link Vicki. I guess some people will NEVER get it... these are not pets, they are part of someone's FAMILY. I don't have children, my dog is my baby... I don't think I could have left him :( We would have fought it out together...although I don't blame anyone for allowing themselves to be rescued... to be in their shoes had to be heart wrenching. My dog has depended on me for 9 years (and I him) to make good decisions and to be his voice... My dog has been there for me when no other human's were, in moments of complete despair, moments of joy, he has lapped my tears many a time... and lately when everything in the world seems to be going wrong, I come home to his smiley face, tail wagging and joyous welcome.

If people want to give to this cause, who is to tell them they can't? If they are giving to both causes, then they are helping both people and pets. I would hope to think if it was my baby out there, that people would also be so generous. Don't judge people by what they are giving to, be happy they are giving, period. I have given to the Red Cross, I have fought for others to do the same... but someone has to fight for the pets, someone has to be their voice.

For those people who thought the response so far has been "unacceptable" (yes, even the president), I would be interested to know what reference they are using. This will turn out to be the largest disaster in the history of this country and cannot be compared to anything else, so the response cannot be compared to anything else. Are we so arrogant and naive to think that the government can protect us from everything that could happen?

If an earthquake caused as much damage here in So Cal as Katrina did to Louisiana, Mississippi, etc., I wouldn't expect government assistance for a long, long time. I would probably end up walking out of the area when my food and water started running out. It may sould crazy at first, but after watching the news this week, it becomes a lot more realistic.

Whether you are you for or against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, (I happened to be in favor of one and against the other personally) I don't see how you can say those troops should have been home in case of a natural disaster like this one. Under that theory troops should never be commited anywhere on the off chance that a once in a lifetime disaster might occur when they are gone. If that's the case, and the troops are just to be kept home in case of a disaster, then the troops are no longer military forces. They a disaster workers on standby.

If an earthquake caused as much damage here in So Cal as Katrina did to Louisiana, Mississippi, etc., I wouldn't expect government assistance for a long, long time. I would probably end up walking out of the area when my food and water started running out. It may sould crazy at first, but after watching the news this week, it becomes a lot more realistic.

I think this whole situation needs to be looked at closely by every public and private individual as to how they would survive a natural, or man-made disaster in their area..It appears there is not one person to blame, it is many people, many years in the making of this disaster.The problems of providing for new Orleans are also seen in Mississippi,Alabama. It isn't only the poor that are suffering, but they seem to have taken a larger hit in new Orleans.

I'm not familiar with the area, so i can't speak on what could have been done to help people escape the horror earlier, but I will be looking at my home/area and figuring out what i need to do in case of an emergency.I think we need to start looking at our own areas and make sure each of us has a plan that doesn't depend on anyone else for several days.

I live here in Pensacola, Fl. When the threat of a hurricane comes, the media brainwashes us prior to the storm making landfall to "pre-pare", have enough food, water, and clothing for seven days, for each member of your household. And then evacuate. Doesn't get to much more clearer than that. When the mayor, police, and Jim Cantore of the Weather Channel are telling you to get out, by all means get out. Better to be safe than sorry. I have lived through Hugo, Ivan, Erin, Opal, Dennis, and now Katrina, and am able to write this because we heed the warnings. Can't all be blamed on officials, sometimes people have to take responsibility for themselves.

Archived