Would you take a 3 day cruise to make Diamond plus

I think it is up to you whether or not it is worth it to cruise for three days to make Diamond Plus. I am also close like you and will definitely book one more cruise in June to reach that goal so that we are Diamond Plus when my husband sails with me and our friends again in September.

Some may question why Diamond Plus is such a big deal. My reason is because all of our friends that we cruise with are Diamond Plus and Pinnacle. My husband and I feel left out when we can't eat with them for breakfast in the Diamond Plus area in the Main Dining room and also join them in the CL when were not in suites. So, our reasons are more personal and not about the status even though they will socialize in the DL and sometimes go in the regular dining room to accommodate us in the morning for breakfast.

With that said. If you have the money and it means that much to you, I say go for it and enjoy your new status.

Well then you may have a valid reason for wanting to do so so that you're not left out of the social events, if your friends aren't willing to not go the DL out of respect for you and your "lack of status". But wouldn't booking a longer cruise for your next one entitle you to those benefits as you would become that level during the cruise, or do they base your status for the cruise on what level you are at sail away?

Well then you may have a valid reason for wanting to do so so that you're not left out of the social events, if your friends aren't willing to not go the DL out of respect for you and your "lack of status". But wouldn't booking a longer cruise for your next one entitle you to those benefits as you would become that level during the cruise, or do they base your status for the cruise on what level you are at sail away?

You don't get upgraded mid cruise. The benefits on any status change only begin the cruise after you qualify

Ok--here's my take, and from my perspective most loyalty programs really don't offer too many extremely valuable benefits. I think that we see ourselves as the greyhound, and the rewards at stake like the carrot dangling in front of us. The cruise lines perspective is probably more like throwing their loyal dog a bone. Along the lines of "well, you've been a good boy, so here's a little treat for now."

Is there any one (or more) particular benefit that is that enticing to simply make you want to book a cruise to obtain?

I don't think it's worth it - and I am D+. The only advantages are a little extra balcony discount, an additional gift (eg full bottle of wine), a free meal in Speciality on first night (which is usually heavily discounted anyway) and reserved seating at shows.

We cruise on Royal because we have enjoyed cruising with them. As the points have accumulated, it has continued to translate into things that enhance our cruises....the balcony discounts, the DL......when we reach D+ whatever additional perks come with it, will come and that will be fine.

But I surely don't feel like signing up for their loyalty program has turned me into a 'dog whose owner throwing them a bone for being a good dog'. If the product Royal offered, at a price point that made sense to me, wasn't giving me the vacation I wanted.....there are other options, even though the first cruise I took was on Royal and it turned us into cruisers.

When Royal doesn't offer something I want (and our bucket list of cruises probably has some they don't offer) or they stop providing the kind of cruise experience I want or they in some way irritate me to where I feel I must look elsewhere.... I have no problem enjoying my Royal cruises and the perks that come my way.

But I don't cruise for the status.

We cruise on Royal because we have enjoyed cruising with them. As the points have accumulated, it has continued to translate into things that enhance our cruises....the balcony discounts, the DL......when we reach D+ whatever additional perks come with it, will come and that will be fine.

But I surely don't feel like signing up for their loyalty program has turned me into a 'dog whose owner throwing them a bone for being a good dog'. If the product Royal offered, at a price point that made sense to me, wasn't giving me the vacation I wanted.....there are other options, even though the first cruise I took was on Royal and it turned us into cruisers.

When Royal doesn't offer something I want (and our bucket list of cruises probably has some they don't offer) or they stop providing the kind of cruise experience I want or they in some way irritate me to where I feel I must look elsewhere.... I have no problem enjoying my Royal cruises and the perks that come my way.

But I don't cruise for the status.

I don't expect you to feel like a dog being thrown a bone, but that's what it really is. In order to reach the level you are at now, you have undoubtedly spent quite a lot of money to get to that level. Royal has decided to give you relatively small incentives from their perspective, which may or may not mean a great deal to their customers. What they do offer costs them dry little. A priority embarkation line, a few free drinks, a discount on a balcony cabin (where they are STILL getting you onboard a cruise)--bottom line is that these things in reality cost very little. You may have spent upwards of $50,000 to get to the point where you are (or more), yet their tokens of appreciation, in all reality, have very little cost impact on the cruise line. So, they are throwing you a small reward for being loyal and spending a good deal of money with them.

As for the balcony discounts, and the other small things that enhance your cruise experiences, those are the dangling carrot. Sorry if you don't like the analogy, but that is what it is. Here's a little something to look forward to if you get to this level, and since you've spent a large some of money with us, here's a small token of our appreciation. Like it or not, it is what it is.

If these small gestures on their behalf are worth the expense to you, by all means do it. My opinion is that for what little they truly offer, it would not be worth it to me. The little bit they do offer would not justify me spending upwards of $50,000 or more cumulative for a few free drinks on every cruise, etc. if you value those things, then by all means do it.

I don't expect you to feel like a dog being thrown a bone, but that's what it really is. In order to reach the level you are at now, you have undoubtedly spent quite a lot of money to get to that level. Royal has decided to give you relatively small incentives from their perspective, which may or may not mean a great deal to their customers. What they do offer costs them dry little. A priority embarkation line, a few free drinks, a discount on a balcony cabin (where they are STILL getting you onboard a cruise)--bottom line is that these things in reality cost very little. You may have spent upwards of $50,000 to get to the point where you are (or more), yet their tokens of appreciation, in all reality, have very little cost impact on the cruise line. So, they are throwing you a small reward for being loyal and spending a good deal of money with them.

As for the balcony discounts, and the other small things that enhance your cruise experiences, those are the dangling carrot. Sorry if you don't like the analogy, but that is what it is. Here's a little something to look forward to if you get to this level, and since you've spent a large some of money with us, here's a small token of our appreciation. Like it or not, it is what it is.

If these small gestures on their behalf are worth the expense to you, by all means do it. My opinion is that for what little they truly offer, it would not be worth it to me. The little bit they do offer would not justify me spending upwards of $50,000 or more cumulative for a few free drinks on every cruise, etc. if you value those things, then by all means do it.

The question that this about is "would some take a 3 day cruise to attain D+ status?"

I believe that you don't cruise 'for the points and the status level it brings you do'. The cruise ANYONE takes should be for the enjoyment they get....the itinerary, the ship, the vacation it will deliver complete with food and entertainment, and whatever else that cruise delivers.

It is like the person in another thread who was disappointed that after achieving a certain level and spending many thousands of dollars on cruises, he was having difficult redeeming his 'free cruise'. He was irritated (in my view) for the wrong reasons.

I cruise because I love the vacation the cruise gives me, and so far Royal has not given me a reason to look elsewhere. That seems to be a concept you find difficult to accept, so therefore you want to turn it into something else.

I won't turn down the awards given me.....just like in a store, I won't turn down a 'giveaway of some sort' as long as I have a need/desire for it. I won't buy something I won't use/enjoy to get something else, either.

The question that this about is "would some take a 3 day cruise to attain D+ status?"

I believe that you don't cruise 'for the points and the status level it brings you do'. The cruise ANYONE takes should be for the enjoyment they get....the itinerary, the ship, the vacation it will deliver complete with food and entertainment, and whatever else that cruise delivers.

It is like the person in another thread who was disappointed that after achieving a certain level and spending many thousands of dollars on cruises, he was having difficult redeeming his 'free cruise'. He was irritated (in my view) for the wrong reasons.

I cruise because I love the vacation the cruise gives me, and so far Royal has not given me a reason to look elsewhere. That seems to be a concept you find difficult to accept, so therefore you want to turn it into something else.

I won't turn down the awards given me.....just like in a store, I won't turn down a 'giveaway of some sort' as long as I have a need/desire for it. I won't buy something I won't use/enjoy to get something else, either.

Ok---I have no idea where you even came up with the notion that I disagree with staying with a particular company because you like their product. That is the best reason to stay with a company--because you like their product. What I saying is that I would find it foolish to stay with a company solely based on a reward la program that in all reality offers very little in regards to what you have donated to the company. The original question posted here was "should I book a 3 day cruise to become Diamond Plus?" My response is that I wouldn't book an extra cruise for the sole reason of attaining the next step up the food chain. Booking with Royal to enjoy another cruise and truly like their product is one thing. Blindly booking with them for the sole outcome of elevating their status in a program with returns of limited value, would be foolish, on my opinion. Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to relate?

Since my phone won't let me edit, will have to add another reply.

I wouldn't expect anyone to turn down any bonuses, freebies, or incentives offered as a result of their reaching s certain status level. But I think blindly being loyal JUST to receive benefits of minimal actual value would be a foolish decision.

Ok---I have no idea where you even came up with the notion that I disagree with staying with a particular company because you like their product. That is the best reason to stay with a company--because you like their product. What I saying is that I would find it foolish to stay with a company solely based on a reward la program that in all reality offers very little in regards to what you have donated to the company. The original question posted here was "should I book a 3 day cruise to become Diamond Plus?" My response is that I wouldn't book an extra cruise for the sole reason of attaining the next step up the food chain. Booking with Royal to enjoy another cruise and truly like their product is one thing. Blindly booking with them for the sole outcome of elevating their status in a program with returns of limited value, would be foolish, on my opinion. Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to relate?

In an earlier post of yours:

Ok--here's my take, and from my perspective most loyalty programs really don't offer too many extremely valuable benefits. I think that we see ourselves as the greyhound, and the rewards at stake like the carrot dangling in front of us. The cruise lines perspective is probably more like throwing their loyal dog a bone. Along the lines of "well, you've been a good boy, so here's a little treat for now."

It seemed to me from the above post you put up.

As I said before, it is what it is. What they offer as a reward has very little cash value. They are hoping that you place a higher perceived value on what it is. How much do you really think it costs the cruise line in benefits that they offer you? Probably a few dollars in actual costs, now compare that to what you have actually spent with the company. You are getting a fraction of a percentage of what you have spent with them. They are in reality giving you very little out of their pocket. You perceive these benefits to be of importance to you--which is fine--that is your opinion, and that's all that should matter to you. I don't place enough value on what they offer me as a reward to simply book another cruise JUST to get these small tokens of appreciation. That's my opinion of it, and that is what I stated.

If you honestly think that any loyalty program is bending over backwards and giving away the farm, then you would be misled. Sorry if you don't like my analogy, but that's what it is. If you don't like the analogy, insert one of your choosing, but bottom line is they are dangling a small package of benefits out there as a goal for people to strive to reach. What they are actually giving you is minuscule in actual value, but has a higher perceived value to customers. I never said that YOUR goal was to achieve Uranium level to get XYZ back as a reward. I said that IMHO, booking another cruise to simply get said reward would be foolish. Booking another cruise because you enjoy and are a pleased with what they offer is one thing, but booking another cruise for the sole reason to attain a certain status level is foolish in my opinion. I don't know how to make that any more clear. You can spend your money on whatever you want if you feel it is the best decision for you. I simply am of the opinion that what is offered as a reward, in and of itself is not worth the expense necessary to obtain said reward.

I meant that the cruise line sees us as Greyhounds with the proverbial carrot dangling. My apologies for not wording it properly.

My DW and I are on the maiden voyage of the Anthem in April. We are also booked on our second Azamars cruise in July.

When we come off Anthem, we will be 3 nights short of Diamond plus.

There is a 3 night cruise available on Explorer 3 weeks later. Inside cabins ( which we havnt used since our first cruises ) are available at £299 [$459). Flight to Southampton would add£220.

Is it worth it to do a cruise for the sole reason to reach Diamond plus?

This doesn't totally answer your question but what I can say is that the three night from Southampton is a nice little cruise AND what many folks from the U.S. May not get is that the chance to take a three night here in the UK (or anywhere in Europe) is really rare and actually I thought, wow! That's a cheap cruise!

So yes, I'd do it.

Ps we are on the same cruise which will also cross us into DP although booked as its half term not for that reason. Although we didn't get it this cheap [emoji20]

This doesn't totally answer your question but what I can say is that the three night from Southampton is a nice little cruise AND what many folks from the U.S. May not get is that the chance to take a three night here in the UK (or anywhere in Europe) is really rare and actually I thought, wow! That's a cheap cruise!

So yes, I'd do it.

Ps we are on the same cruise which will also cross us into DP although booked as its half term not for that reason. Although we didn't get it this cheap [emoji20]

In the case that taking a quick 3 night cruise is a treat, and is that inexpensive, it may very well be a good idea if you have the free time to do so.

Just $25 more off a cabin and the concierge lounge...

There are several other benefits (although availability seems to vary from ship to ship). According to the Diamond Plus Welcome letter:

"-Priority Seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events

-Behind the Scenes Tours

...and much more!"

The priority seating benefit seems to be particularly inconsistent and, on some ships, the crew seems to think it is limited to people with gold Sea-pass cards (i.e. Pinnacle members and people in suites). Diamond Plus benefits are particularly diluted on the Oasis, ever since they added a "Suite Lounge", which seems like a Concierge Club that was renamed in order to avoid having to admit Diamond Plus members.

Upon the completion of our next 40-day B2B2B, we'll be just one point short of D+.

I would consider doing a 'short', for us, trip of 7 or fewer days to both enjoy ourselves AND to score D+ so that we could disport ourselves in style on our next big cruise.

If you are seeking customer satisfaction book an additional 7 days because you like their product not for D+. If you want to elevate your experience (style) book a grand suite or above for priority treatment.

There are certain levels of loyalty clubs and certain scenarios that would benefit a person to do something like you suggested.

I can't, from reading this thread, figure out what that would be for you. It doesn't seem like a good deal unless you feel the GLORY of D+ makes you feel better.

The jump from Emerald to Diamond is fairly substantial. If you were going on a 14-night cruise in Europe next summer and were 3 nights short of Diamond, I'd say "Yeah! Book that cheap 3-night and get that upgrade!" They don't upgrade you mid-trip, so you'd then have an entire 2-week European cruise with those perks. The drinks, the breakfasts, the coffee, the priority seating/booking stuff.

It has to be worth it.

I flew to a destination that I would normally drive to once because I was **THIS CLOSE** to a status upgrade on that airline. We were going to Europe a few months later and I wanted to use the airline's premiums lounges/internet cafes. That was a bargain. I spent about $75 more flying than I would have driving. I could get 1 visit to the airline club for that price and I got to my destination faster. The reward > the cost in that scenario.

My DW and I are on the maiden voyage of the Anthem in April. We are also booked on our second Azamars cruise in July.

When we come off Anthem, we will be 3 nights short of Diamond plus.

There is a 3 night cruise available on Explorer 3 weeks later. Inside cabins ( which we havnt used since our first cruises ) are available at £299 [$459). Flight to Southampton would add£220.

Is it worth it to do a cruise for the sole reason to reach Diamond plus?

Sure....Why not? :D