Divorced Parent Taking Children - what is needed?

wezie

Does anyone know what a divorced parent needs to do in order to take their children on a cruise? I feel like I read somewhere awhile ago that they need a letter or something from the other parent saying it is ok to take the children out of the country. I am asking for a friend that I will be traveling with. I appreciate any help you can give.

Absolutely have a notarized permission from the other parent... it was the first thing they asked my brother for when he and I sailed with my nephew last year. They may not ask, but if they do and you don't have one... you won't be allowed to take the child.

I always traveled with a letter from my children's father stating he was aware of our travels but was never asked for it ( 10+ cruises with children). It doesn't have to be because of divorce either, one parent just may not be traveling.

I have been taking my nephew with me on trips since he 1... he is now 11. I have NEVER been asked for the letter I always carry with me.. That is Until Last week when we went to Check in for the Breakaway. I don't know if it was the person I got.. but we almost were not able to board. So.. here is what they say I needed to have... A letter signed (they did not stress notarized.. but I will be making sure to have the done still anyway.).... the letter MUST state that you have permission to travel Specifically where your ship is sailing... AND most importantly that you have the right to make all medical decisions in the event of an emergency. You also MUST have a copy of the non traveling parent's valid Photo ID. They allowed my sister to email both to NCL and we were able to get on the ship.. but man .. that was a stressful time. What I was missing was the Photo Id of my sister.. which I would never even have thought to bring... I alway have carried a letter... which I also take with me when we get off the ship for excursions. Hope that helps :)

divorced mom here,

Four cruises with my daughter, three while being remarried.

She does have a passport. Our names still match.

Have yet to be asked, or brought a letter.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it has not happened yet.....

Personally, on an issue as sensitive as this with potential legal implications, I would not base any decision on an internet comment board. I would call NCL directly, and get written information as to exactly what documents are needed.

I am not American, but when my friend brought her son on a cruise with us (the father is deceased), we also called both the Canadian and US Customs and Border agencies to make sure the required documents were with her as we travelled.

When travelling with children, you can never be too careful when only one parent is present, regardless of the reason.

Just my 2 cents.

I am pretty sure if just one parent is taking a child, and you are still married, there needs to a notarized form by the spouse that is not going , that it is okay to leave the country.

That is correct. Many parents do leave with their children and then file divorce from foreign countries where the child custody laws vary...thus the cruise lines are supposed to make sure kids leaving with one or no parents have permission to do so. Doesn't always happen...I've always had the letter and never been asked leaving either US or even when sailing out of Copenhagen...worse Russia didn't ask where the other parent was when we went into their country to tour around.

Here what it says about minors and legal guardian ship:

http://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Here's the Parent /Guardian consent & release form - also need copy of their photo id to bring with you:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

Hope's this information helps you.

Personally, on an issue as sensitive as this with potential legal implications, I would not base any decision on an internet comment board. I would call NCL directly, and get written information as to exactly what documents are needed.

I am not American, but when my friend brought her son on a cruise with us (the father is deceased), we also called both the Canadian and US Customs and Border agencies to make sure the required documents were with her as we travelled.

When travelling with children, you can never be too careful when only one parent is present, regardless of the reason.

Just my 2 cents.

This is the wisest way: Check with the cruise line (and airline!), plus ALL countries involved.

It doesn't need to be a divorce situation.

The "authorities/decision makers" have no way to know if there is a deceased "other parent" or a divorce or remarriage or what (the latter if last names don't ALL match).

It's just not worth it to risk not being allowed on at the last minute.

What happened to sugarval *could* happen to anyone else.

The important thing is to be able to document that the other parent (or both parents, if another relative or friend is bringing the child along) either has given permission or has no legal say about the matter.

GeezerCouple

Bring more documentation not less .... Better safe than sorry. A family friend even needed to bring her Ex-Husbands death certificate when traveling to Mexico in order to prove why she could not provide his signature to give permission for her to travel with the children.

Does anyone know what a divorced parent needs to do in order to take their children on a cruise? I feel like I read somewhere awhile ago that they need a letter or something from the other parent saying it is ok to take the children out of the country. I am asking for a friend that I will be traveling with. I appreciate any help you can give.

I have been on 2 cruises with NCL, having to cross the border twice from Canada to the US, to sail out of New York. My son does not have my last name. I only used the NCL form. I was not asked for it either time at the border, nor from NCL.

"This form must be completed if a minor is not travelling with at least one parent or legal guardian.

This form must be presented at the pier during embarkation with the required identification attached"

Maybe that is why I was never asked for it.

I traveled with 3 kids this past summer. One was mine, one was my BFs ( he was also with us) and one was a child of a family friend. His parents did not cruise with us.

To be on the safe side, we had the NCL forms filled out for EACH child, along with copies of the other parents licenses. At the pier they not only collected each form but scrutinized over a detail on one. The lady at the pier did not go into detail but did seek out a supervisor to double check something. I'm very glad we had everything prepared.