Travel Insurance Question

lharry

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me...I have an immediate family member that was very recently diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. She is not traveling with us on this cruise. She has several radiation treatments between now and the time of our cruise, and just 2 weeks before the cruise she will be going in for major surgery (removing the tumor, along with spleen and kidney).

What happens if we decide we should not go on this cruise because of her medical prognosis?

I asked Berkley Care (the insurance carrier), and they said we would need a doctor to complete the claim form stating that "we are unable to travel due to the illness". I don't really understand what that means. I asked the question, if that would mean that the doctor would need to say that the family member is terminal, and potentially won't "make it", and she said, no, not terminal, but "we are unable to travel due to the illness". Basically I couldn't get a straight answer.

Has anyone had this unfortunate type of circumstance? I really hate to ask the question, but I just don't know if the insurance will cover this type of scenario or not.

Thank you.

A phone rep for anybody cannot and will not give a direct, definitive, and legally binding answer. It's not their job and not their pay grade.

Since you said Berkley, since this is a Carnival forum,,,, I'm going to assume you bought the insurance that Carnival offers.

I'm going to guess that your sisters illness would not be a "Covered" reason for you to cancel at last minute. Her condition could very well be considered a Pre-Existing condition.

On the other hand, Carnival insurance does include a Cancel For Any Reason rider. You can cancel at any time and if the reason is not a "Covered" reason, you are issued a 75% credit towards a future cruise.

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me...I have an immediate family member that was very recently diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. She is not traveling with us on this cruise. She has several radiation treatments between now and the time of our cruise, and just 2 weeks before the cruise she will be going in for major surgery (removing the tumor, along with spleen and kidney).

What happens if we decide we should not go on this cruise because of her medical prognosis?

I asked Berkley Care (the insurance carrier), and they said we would need a doctor to complete the claim form stating that "we are unable to travel due to the illness". I don't really understand what that means. I asked the question, if that would mean that the doctor would need to say that the family member is terminal, and potentially won't "make it", and she said, no, not terminal, but "we are unable to travel due to the illness". Basically I couldn't get a straight answer.

Has anyone had this unfortunate type of circumstance? I really hate to ask the question, but I just don't know if the insurance will cover this type of scenario or not.

Thank you.

I believe others have posted that the family member would need to be your child or parent unless you have cancel for any reason.

I believe others have posted that the family member would need to be your child or parent unless you have cancel for any reason.

It depends on the policy. Some policies cover more extended family members, e.g. siblings, grandparents, in laws, etc.

Edited by GradUT

Thank you.

With the Carnival Berkeley Policy -

Worst case, you should be able to "Cancel for Any Reason" and receive 75% future cruise credit and have your Govt Fees & Taxes and Pre-Paid Gratuities refunded.

The "pre-existing condition" exclusion looks to only apply to those traveling and not stay behind relatives, so this should not be an issue.

The "not being able to travel due to illness..." statement is better stated in other policies to include the patient being terminal or it being necessary for you to stay near to help treat, transport or to handle medical, personal matters for the patient. You might have to "negotiate" the wording with the Doctor.

Ken

Edited by Ken076