Cell phone in ports

prmrolltide

With ATT I add an international package that includes 1GB of data and unlimited text. Calls are $1 per minute. I usually just text to check on the dog and send a couple pictures.

If you stay on the ship you're still in port so that should apply. Might want to check with Verizon tho.

Your phone probably will be blocked by Carnival on the ship. You will have to get off If you are in Puerto Rico verizon is on normal plan no extra, St Thomas is now on roaming 1.99 a minute. This is new was not last year. Ships phone is 1.99 a minute also and Carnival has a statement on fun times that this rate applies on cell phones

Tmobile in Puerto Rico is the same as 50 states, roaming g in St. Thomas, and international in Nassau and Antigua. International add on riders are cheap compared to the out of network charges if you can't go without it.

Edited by Whenisdinner

Sort of a dumb question, but to piggy back on the OP's post...I've only had a smart phone (iphone) for about a year, and haven't been on a cruise with it. I use it for listening to music and reading books constantly.

So long as I keep it in "airplane" mode throughout the cruise, I won't get calls and texts and therefore no wacky charges, right? My understanding is that in airplane mode, it basically just becomes an ipod/ereader.

Edited by violetsmile

If I understand correctly, as long as I have an international calling plan (I have Verizon), then we can make calls from Port without exorbitant fees. What if we stay on the ship, will this still apply? Thanks!

Young people very seldom understand how it was.....Long distance phone calls made from home, old cell phones, also with in network, and roaming, and also an additional long distance charge. Sometimes, you can phone long distance just the next county over. With that being said, the charges incurred are nothing more than international phone rates for using a service that is not "in network".

Many ways to get around it, depending on your phone, and/or provider. Number one, wifi is your friend. If you have iPhone's you can easily text and make phone calls while on wifi, w/o a charge. (Unless you are paying for the wifi). You can also use many apps that give you the same service.

International rate packages are not always free. You are paying for the package, and you are still sometimes paying a per minute fee, but reduced. So add it up, you are still paying for it. It's a service. Remember, you buy a phone service at home, not away.

If you need to make phone calls, you will pay.

Check with your phone carrier for the best options.

Number one, wifi is your friend. If you have iPhone's you can easily text and make phone calls while on wifi, w/o a charge. (Unless you are paying for the wifi).

Could you explain the Wifi part. In international areas, does your phone know to use Wifi if available versus roaming?

We always but our phone in the safe and it stays there until we get off the ship. But my next trip we are expecting a call/VM and will need to check.

I bought a wifi only iPad for my last 12 day cruise because I left dh and dd at home

iPhone securely in vault and off.

My traveling dds used the iPhone only in port that was free wifi

The wifi only iPad worked incredibly efficient in the free wifi areas and since i was on Ncl breakaway the $39 ....300 mg ships Internet package allowed me to do whatever I needed and we just did voice FaceTime 2 or 3 times a day from the ship or video FaceTime when in port

I spoke more to dh and dd those 12 days than I thought I would due to the simplicity

While on the ship I sometimes had the iPad with me so if they facetimed I got it

In essence for a whopping $39 lol I turned my wifi only iPad Intoto a telephone and of course email and messages as well

I know I could have done the same with my iPhone but I still needed the $39 package regardless and with the iPad there definitely would not be extra Verizon charges whereas with the iPhone anything is possible we all know that

Btw iMessages are free

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could you explain the Wifi part. In international areas, does your phone know to use Wifi if available versus roaming?

We always but our phone in the safe and it stays there until we get off the ship. But my next trip we are expecting a call/VM and will need to check.

On a iPhone, turn off roaming data. It is usually already in the off position. Your phone should always use wifi first. Some wifi is not free. Say if you go to a Starbucks, where it is free, it will log on and use the wifi. You will see the wifi symbol in the top left corner when it is using wifi.

Important thing is make sure data roaming is turned off.

Remember that when you are using wifi, you are not using a phone service, but that business's internet connections. It can also be tough to find wifi that is free, or sometimes, you need to buy something at a place, before they give you a password.

What I usually do, is just turn on my phone when I want to check something.

If you are waiting for a call/VM, can you ask them to text you the info? Incoming texts are usually free, or really cheap.

I used the Verizon Global Plan on one of our cruises. It works on the ships and in most countries. In most places the data was included, like 100MB for $25 if you are on the Global Plan. 1st 100MB is included in the $25 monthly fee, more than that adds $25 for each 100MB.

Almost all locations had a really high per minute voice rate. The rate to use your Verizon phone on-board is about $2.50 per minute and $.50 per text on top of your Global Plan fees. The customer rep a Verizon set up my account to add Global on the day the cruise started, and stop it on the day the cruise ended so I only had to pay 1 month for the plan.

We could use our phone without any extra costs in Puerto Rico.

If you use any free WiFi that you find, be careful what you access because they can be tracking your keystrokes and such.

Edited by Miller_KC

Yes I called my carrier. For me it seems I will have to buy a 1 month package. It will save a few $$.

So my question is now is do you need to get off the ship and if so how far in order to use your cell plan and not the ships charges.

Thanks