Picture heavy fun review - MSC Armonia - Canary Isles and Madeira - incl. DIY trips

Kreuzfahrtneuling

Beach break on Tenerife part two --- lol .... spontaneously decided to stretch it to three posts ... so it's not the end yet :-)

Wet sandy feet or not, I couldn't help it --- I had to return to stroll along the water:

20431110744_3ef0a92747_b.jpg

here you had to hop over onto the steps real fast other wise

THIS :

20865631700_2001810902_b.jpg

would happen to you!

once up on the steps you walk over old volcanic rocks to get to the next beach section ... or to admire the view:

21053699815_53caa23763_b.jpg

lol -- I especially took this picture for all you straight gals and gay men out there. Enjoy... my pleasure.

oh ... these two guys were also watching the surf:

21061355331_2d56ee5d3f_b.jpg

(a cute little pigeon rendezvous?)

20866920109_1f59042bed_b.jpg

oh --- aehm ... sorry .... didn't mean to interrupt .... go on looking at the water ... I'll leave you two love birds alone.

Tanja spent the time while I was roaming around taking pictures of the scenery:

20865864768_a253e5f7d0_b.jpg

Ahhhh, there’s nothing more relaxing than the sight and sound of the ocean. Argghhh, I wanna go on a cruise again --- badly.

Stay tuned!

Stef

Tenerife beach break -- last post

21053689385_aa67526198_b.jpg

okay, I admit it -- one didn't HAVE TO walk through water to get to the next beach section. Although I thought the other path was funner, Tanja chose this stay-dry-route.

20432627773_cfa1b63fef_b.jpg

Having fun with the camera timer-function ... I barely made it and couldn't help laughing. Totally crooked picture ... but a fun memory.

20432616893_be6d8acfc7_b.jpg

somehow I was in the "let's play around with the camera" mode. This is the newly discovered super-macro function. I thought the red harmonizes well with the grey.

Before we left the beach to head back up to the bus station, we passed a small fortress (tiny in fact --- looks like some giant's dice). Sadly it was closed due to renovation. I think it's supposed to be an art exhibit or museum afterwards....keep me informed if you know more.

Anyway, here's the coat of arms above the entrance:

21043699232_930355e32b_b.jpg

The dog spooked me.

So that was the beach. We thought that would end our Tenerife adventure... but we stumbled onto one more "sight" on the way ....

stay tuned

Stef

Tenerife – a cemetery along the way

As we strolled inland from the beach to get to the busstation, we saw this little cemetery to our right. We seem to be magically drawn to cemeteries worldwide …

No, we’re no vampires or spooky death loving people. In fact I’m really afraid of dying one day and really should work on that. Maybe it’s therapeutical for me to walk over these holy grounds and be confronted with mortality – I don’t know.

I rather think it’s the enormous amount of human feeling and the stories behind those feelings which oozes out of every flower, every picture, every ornament -- that moves me.

Loving, despairing, cherishing, missing, hurting, hoping, believing, remembering – it’s all here …

So without any more words, here are two sets of pictures to give you an impression:

20642275833_508fa8aecf_b.jpg

21263415015_0342153369_b.jpg

21236869616_097a8c4d17_b.jpg

21252641492_d503038f46_b.jpg

21263158245_b145282d4a_b.jpg

21271208321_7dfe42b006_b.jpg

more pics to come in a minute ....

All good things must come to an end……

After the busride back to Santa Cruz de Tenerife, we saw this guy with his very natural broom:

21271905711_f89c8e2ff4_b.jpg

And the last picture from Tenerife is this Opera? House in Santa Cruz which reminded me of Sydney (lol – not like I’ve ever actually been there).

21076950299_40643af714_b.jpg

I must admit that I did miss the abundance of classical music I expected from MSC and which we experienced on our Scotland cruise with them …. But I guess this time it was just another kind of clientele … bummer.

The last evening onboard was unspectacular. Packing and putting your bags in front of your cabin door is always depressing, isn’t it?

On the next morning we headed to the theatre for the dreaded check-out wait. But once again the magnificent entertainment team rocked the party.

21271888811_e6caa170b3_b.jpg

I only have this blurry proof-picture, because I was being shaken by laughter attacks.

They did this sketch onstage pretending to be travelers themselves …. Very odd travelers however …. It was hilarious! When we were called to leave the ship, we really would have loved to keep waiting and keep watching. They managed the impossible: We actually left the ship laughing and grinning!!!!

It’s only a short walk to a near building to collect your bags. The organization was superb. It went absolutely smooth -- after our horrific disembarkation experience in Hamburg the year before, this was very surprising and refreshing. Well done MSC!

Sorry – again only a blurry proof-picture:

21263824275_b851c7b4d2_b.jpg

The bus ride to the airport was eventless. What sucks about a mass transfer however is that you all reach the check-in counters at the same time. The lines were absolutely insane! But once we passed those, we spent the remainder of the wait on the sunny platform overlooking the parked planes.

21075760350_5dbd4d36ff_b.jpg

And the very last vacation-glimpse we soaked up before we entered our plane back to normality was this:

21075954778_138d99a6ec_b.jpg

Whooohooo… Panda – power!

The end

Thank you for sharing your review. I will miss your posts. Do you have any more trips planned?

Thank you for staying till the very end Willma!

It was fun to write -- I love to share our experiences with all of you.

No cruises planned right now. I would love to go on one in October (MSC Fantasia) .... but it probably won't happen moneywise. Well, and to be honest I have a quirky feeling about cruising in the med these days .... so many fugitives risking (and often loosing) their lives there right now. I guess I should rather spend the free time in October to help out with the "lucky" ones who have managed to arrive here. Thousands reach Germany every single day these days. They are mostly housed in tents for right now ... but the winter is coming.....

oh my God, this will be quite the task for our nation. I hope we prove to be open, friendly and willing to help whereever possible. News about burning shelters and right-wing demonstrations make me so mad and sad.

Stef

Thank you! Once again another fantastic and informative review! I love that we all get to "relive" the cruise with you:)

I agree with you about the refugee situation. So incredibly sad and the fact that EVERYONE does not have compassion for what their fellow human beings are going through is appalling!

Here's hoping for a more peaceful world. Thank you again for all of your hard work. Hopefully there will be another cruise in your future. Wishing you and your wonderful family all the best:)

I agree with you - I would like you to go on a cruise too! More to read please

I've enjoyed this cruise as I've enjoyed reading your others - informative humorous and humane and you're much more courageous than me: I usually just sit in the tour operator's coach and get out when and where I'm told - and get back in when I'm told to get back in!

And you're right about the Mediterranean. You must be proud of your country and it's humanity - it's the conscience of Europe. What a contrast to the UK which has become the world capital of bigotry. Twice in the past two weeks the government has announced a policy 'because it is the right thing to do' - and said the VERY opposite the VERY next day. And a former Prime Minister advising the opposition party a couple of weeks ago told it to get into power 'in any way' and only when in power would it have to decide on it's principles. It's a shabby place.

My rant will continue but only to myself. Don't forget, if you come to or near to Liverpool and your books don't have the answer, tell me and I'll help sort it. Good Luck to all three of you and thanks for all the enjoyment

Eric Walter Liverpool

Hi, I haven't done a review per se, but did report while on board the Cloud.

It was the July 7 voyage to tower bridge.

In the silversea forum.

:) found it! Thank you! Lol -- how funny, that you conveniently utilized your own private picture-poster:D.

Oh my God, the luggage ordeal right before your cruise would have driven me nuts.

Thanks for posting! Sorry to have been late. Lol -- I want a private picture-post-person too:D!!!!

Stef

I agree with you - I would like you to go on a cruise too! More to read please

I've enjoyed this cruise as I've enjoyed reading your others - informative humorous and humane and you're much more courageous than me: I usually just sit in the tour operator's coach and get out when and where I'm told - and get back in when I'm told to get back in!

And you're right about the Mediterranean. You must be proud of your country and it's humanity - it's the conscience of Europe. What a contrast to the UK which has become the world capital of bigotry. Twice in the past two weeks the government has announced a policy 'because it is the right thing to do' - and said the VERY opposite the VERY next day. And a former Prime Minister advising the opposition party a couple of weeks ago told it to get into power 'in any way' and only when in power would it have to decide on it's principles. It's a shabby place.

My rant will continue but only to myself. Don't forget, if you come to or near to Liverpool and your books don't have the answer, tell me and I'll help sort it. Good Luck to all three of you and thanks for all the enjoyment

Eric Walter Liverpool

Thank you Eric,

I'll remember when we ever get close to Liverpool:).

Sigh, we're doing border patrols again ... welcome to the middle ages.

Nobody's perfect. But I guess if we keep on trying to make the world a better place bit by bit whereever possible .... that's all one can ask for.

Hang in there.

Stef

Stef, thank you for sharing your cruise and your family with us. You are such an engaging writer, I feel like I've been on your cruise! Thank you for helping with the refugees and I believe the world owes Germany for your generous reception of these poor people. Wish my country would follow suit!

Stef, thank you for sharing your cruise and your family with us. You are such an engaging writer, I feel like I've been on your cruise! Thank you for helping with the refugees and I believe the world owes Germany for your generous reception of these poor people. Wish my country would follow suit!

:p thank you!

regarding the refugees: Lol --have been hooked up to a bunch of young Syrian guys (who speak perfect English --- so yay!) who need rides to the grocery store on a somewhat weekly basis (and I am a proud owner of a Nissan Nararra:cool: with lots of space). Additionally a gal from the neighboring village is currently making connections for us to a family from Chechenia ... lol -- apparently they only speak Russian ... not a word of English ... their kid in Kindergarten knows some German words by now .... lol .... quite the tiny translater.....this ought to be an interesting hands and feet sort of thing:D. I'll keep you updated how we get along.

Stef

• 2 weeks later...

:) an update:

no contact to any refugees yet. Does nobody want our help? Oh well, then screw it. We'll just shut the door behind us and hop in the car for a spontaneous fall-holiday vacation.

Lol -- although I have some moral issues with sailing on the med right now and we really don't have the money for a cruise at this moment anyway , ..... still Italy it must be! No cruise --- BUT: a week at the beautiful Lake Garda.... never been ... just heard it rocks. We'll see and I'll tell you about it ...just briefly, since it really doesn't have anything to do with the Armonia review .... but hey, I don't have a cruise coming up in the near future, so work with me here.

Best of all --- we get to take the kid and the dogs along .... and have booked an apartment with a balcony RIGHT ON the lake!!!! I am so stoked.... just that we have this 10 hours plus drive ahead of us freaks me out a little.... but hey, it'll be good practise driving over the Alps for the time we'll wanna do that with our future caravan:D.

Lol -- decided and booked yesterday .... that leaves me exactly 14 days for the planning ... whoopie! Some serious work ahead!

Stef