Questions about alcohol options from new cruiser

boiledcabbage

Heading out on my first cruise in 33 days! I plan on having some drinks, a mix between beers and fruity umbrella drinks. Just to keep things simple please assume that I am aware of rum runners and the drink pass. Due to non drinking roommate the pass is a no go and that is a wee bit more than I would drink anyway. Rum running and risking confiscation sounds like a bad start to a trip. (such a hot button topic in here too)

My question is based on pricing (not convenience or atmosphere) of buying packages for my stateroom vs. buying directly from the bar. I am on a tight budget but still want to have fun.

I've come across a recent drink menu with prices and compared it to the website where you can order bottles to your room. I'm having a hard time deciding if the savings would be worthwhile enough to make my own drinks. I will only order what I plan to consume so quantity, for the most part, is a non issue.

Anyway, long story short, some draft beers appear to be cheaper at the bar than getting bottles to the room but a vodka drink for instance would be half the bar price if I make it myself. I also saw somewhere that a bucket of 4 beers comes with a 5th for free?!?! Also, do the $1 off drink of the days make a difference?

Most importantly, assuming I tip fairly, are the drinks an honest pour or are they weak?

I would appreciate feedback from recent and or frequent cruisers. I'd like some sort of strategy beforehand so I don't have to mentally calculate my degree of post cruise poverty every time I have a sip.

Thanks

Edited by boiledcabbage

I'd consider RumRunners and pre-order a bottle delivered.

Your price on beer bucket above might be too generous. I don't think it's like a free bottle with bucket.

The pours are decent. If you take care of your bartender early on, they do get stiffer.

Get a bottle for the room and then get some beers on deck. You can order juice from room service or get some juice on the Lido in the AM to use as mixers. The foo-foo drinks tend to have little alcohol and after one or two, I am done.

As an FYI, if you bring a whole unopened bottle in your suitcase, even if you get caught, you just go pick it up on the last morning. I have known people who throw in a bottle of Malibu rum and carry on small bottles of cranberry and pineapple juice (it happens to be my favorite drink). I, of course, would never do that!! :rolleyes:

Going back to your room every time you want a drink can be a royal pain.

I've always found Carnivals drinks to be plenty strong...especially if you make friends with a bartender.

No free 5th beer with a bucket. You save 2 bucks on 4, so .50 cents a bottle.

If you are not a big drinker I would suggest just buying your drinks whenever you wanted one.

They have a large selection of very tasty mixed drinks. ( you can find threads on just that topic...something like " best frozen drink " if you do a search ) If you had a bottle of rum or vodka in your room you would still have to pay extra if you wanted to try some of those. If you are out and about and you wanted a drink, what are you going to do... go back to your cabin and mix a drink.

So figure on aprox. $6 or so for a large selection of beers and about $9-$10 for some kind of fancy drink. Maybe $7 for a rum and coke type. It shouldn't break the bank unless you start buying drinks for the house. You should be able to find price lists if you do a search here or on the Carnival site.

Don't forget you can each bring a bottle of wine on board at the start of the cruise ( as well as pop ) which you can have available in your cabin. I you brought it to the MDR to open at dinner they may charge a corkage fee.

You are also likely going to want a few drinks when you are enjoying yourself in port(off the ship). You would be allowed to bring more soda onboard at the stops if you wished as well.

Unless you are on a really tight budget you should be able to enjoy yourself this way and have lots of choice.

Hopes this helps

Have a great cruise

I generally dont buy the fruity or mixed drinks. I stick to beer or martini's if Im not mixing something I brought on the ship. If im going to spend 7-9 bucks a drink Id rather be buying something that is quite honestly pure ingredients over the drinks made with the mixers in the gallon jugs.

I dont tip usually as there is a 15% gratuity but there are some exceptions when I do tip as I typically carry some cash on me to tip waiters or servers in the mdr for job well done!

Enjoy your cruise! What a blast it will be!

Thanks you guys for putting this into perspective for me. I may just buy some Malibu rum for the room and bring on mixers for when I head out then do beers on deck.

I wanted to have options open to me but even if I tried my hardest to party there is always the next morning. Generally, the more fun I have the more I pay for it later. I didn't want to limit my fun and was bummed that I couldn't use the pass but that may have been a pandoras box of the ultimate week long hangover anyway.

I get the impression that there are a lot of hard core drinkers on board. I like my booze as much as the next gal but still...I sure hope people are chill and don't get too sloppy. :rolleyes:

As for tips, are any included with drink prices or automatically added on? I do like to tip kindly but don't want to accidentally double up more than intended. This no cash thing confuses me.

The tips will be clearly stated on your receipt. There will be a line for additional tips if you do choose.