Mosquitoes?

theriac

So I'm watching BBC Wild Alaska and there's an entire segment on how bad the mosquitoes are. This hadn't crossed my mind but it makes sense being in a rain forest a lot of the trip. I'm cruising in late June R/T from Seattle to Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. So my question is are the mosquitoes really that bad? I come from Florida where they are miserable, but I can deal with some bites but don't want to be overwhelmed and feel uncomfortable. Should I bring DEET or some kind of repellent? I have booked the Tracy Arm "add on excursion," The Railway/Yukon bus tour excursion up to Emerald Lake, and a Whale Watch/Mendenhall/Juneau City Tour combo if this helps. I'm still up in the air of what I'm gonna do in Ketchikan and will just go into town and have a drink in Victoria as that's a short stop.

Overall what is your experience with mosquitoes and other insects with this kind of an itinerary or on these specific excursions.

Thanks in advance! Everyone has been so helpful so far and I'd be lost without everyone's help. The key to a relaxing enjoyable vacation is being well prepared in my opinion which you've all helped me with thus far. THANKS!

Thanks, I wasn't exactly sure where the filming was taking place when talking about the mosquitoes since they were going all over so I figured I'd ask. They just kept showing/mentioning how they we're bugging(literally) the Caribou and I knew in Skagway I'm going to be in Caribou Crossing so I thought maybe around there

On my August trip.... Liarsville (outside Skagway) had black flies taking chunks of my skin. That was the only problem with insects for me.

I saw a tourist let off a can of bug spray all over herself in front of me.

You mentioned June. We usually cruise May/June and don't usually have any mosquitos. Last year around June 2nd I saw two total. One was on the ceiling of a bar in Seward. The bar tender said they were early this year. The other was at Reeds Falls Skagway. We have cruised several years and this was the first I saw. Talking to others who cruise later in the year, they can get really bad. If you've ever watched "Alaska State Troupers" you notice they spend half their time waving while talking to the camera and I don't think they are waving to their fans. A lot depends on what kind of weather they are having as to when they will hatch out.

I've done 6 round-trip Seattle cruises and have gotten exactly ONE mosquito bite, last July while at Smuggler's Cove in Skagway. I got out the bug spray I was carrying "just in case" and didn't have any problems after that.

Thanks everyone, im liking these answers since I'll be getting a break from the mosquitoes instead of having to figure out how to live with them here in Florida where some nights its upwards of 3 to 4 bites a minute!

Having moved up here from Florida, I am here to tell you that the mosquito up here are nothing like the ones in Florida. The ones up here are SLOW and dumb....You can easily wack them....:) There sting is nothing like the mosquitoes in the mangroves of the keys.....Those are vicious...But like Florida, a lot depends on the rains....

Having moved up here from Florida, I am here to tell you that the mosquito up here are nothing like the ones in Florida. The ones up here are SLOW and dumb....You can easily wack them....:) There sting is nothing like the mosquitoes in the mangroves of the keys.....Those are vicious...But like Florida, a lot depends on the rains....

haha, thats good to know. I feel like I'm a pro now with being able to wack mosquitoes away, and as I'm sure you're aware they are very fast down here. I'm happy to see all these posts saying the mosquitoes really aren't that bad up there. When I saw the special it got me nervous because I really do hate mosquitoes and the thought had never crossed my mind that I could be dealing with them. Hopefully the weather is cool and sunny while I'm there with no rain and/or fog(which I'm also used to in Florida) so that the mosquitoes don't come out.

Thanks everyone for your responses, you've all been very helpful.

There is something about my blood that they love me while ignoring my wife who is almost right beside me.

On two trips so far, no issues including the hike to Mendenhall.

FWIW traveling in July and Sept.

We are considering Denali and/or Cooper Landing area in the Kenai Peninsula next June. How are the mosquitos in those locations?

You can definitely run into them.

As an example, last year, we ran into several areas where massive amounts of mosquitoes were terrible. Even in the same area over a few days, the bugs varied significantly.

So, best to be prepared and thankful, if you are spared. :)

So I'm watching BBC Wild Alaska and there's an entire segment on how bad the mosquitoes are. This hadn't crossed my mind but it makes sense being in a rain forest a lot of the trip. I'm cruising in late June R/T from Seattle to Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. So my question is are the mosquitoes really that bad? I come from Florida where they are miserable, but I can deal with some bites but don't want to be overwhelmed and feel uncomfortable. Should I bring DEET or some kind of repellent? I have booked the Tracy Arm "add on excursion," The Railway/Yukon bus tour excursion up to Emerald Lake, and a Whale Watch/Mendenhall/Juneau City Tour combo if this helps. I'm still up in the air of what I'm gonna do in Ketchikan and will just go into town and have a drink in Victoria as that's a short stop.

Overall what is your experience with mosquitoes and other insects with this kind of an itinerary or on these specific excursions.

Thanks in advance! Everyone has been so helpful so far and I'd be lost without everyone's help. The key to a relaxing enjoyable vacation is being well prepared in my opinion which you've all helped me with thus far. THANKS!

See attached picture

DON

DSC_7703_reduced.jpg.3916db5204fc9d0b99dc37446b927a2b.jpg

If I'm there, you will all be safe. I think there must be a mosquito sign on me that says "bite here".

At least (as far as I know) the mosquitos in Alaska don't carry nasty diseases. Seems like everywhere else we go they can infect you with who knows what.