Did NCL change its policy on topless sunbathing?

TadNeurotic

Too bad that so many cruise lines are eliminating the topless sun decks. It's bizarre that we've come so far as a society in some areas, yet still be so regressive in others. We're all born naked, and many of us go out the same way. The shame and guilt peddled by puritanical types keep us in constant fear of ourselves.

Well put [emoji106] I agree 100%

*Living large one week at a time*

not sure why you would say that...different cultures see things differently. I believe many Europeans think there is nothing wrong with nude sunbathing in public areas; maybe they know something we don't?

or maybe I misunderstood your comment?

I took the comment as:Adults only is the way it should be and I agree. Yes, some countries have different views of nudity, but when there are all nationalities on a cruise and all ages, some restrictions need to be applied

I am now reading some of the recent posts and seeing this turn into a moral issue. I think the OP simply asked if there was still a nude or topless deck on the ships, no one asked about whether or not nudity should be accepted worldwide, or whether we, as Americans should losen up a bit.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I am now reading some of the recent posts and seeing this turn into a moral issue. I think the OP simply asked if there was still a nude or topless deck on the ships, no one asked about whether or not nudity should be accepted worldwide, or whether we, as Americans should losen up a bit.

Yes, these things happen on the internet. The OP posted a question requiring only a yes or no answer. Surely, you didn't expect the keyboards to let it rest at yes or no. :p

I took the comment as:Adults only is the way it should be and I agree. Yes, some countries have different views of nudity, but when there are all nationalities on a cruise and all ages, some restrictions need to be applied

I certainly hope that you are planning to wear a full burka covering your hair, face, arms and legs on your next cruise...you know because when there are multiple nationalities "restrictions need to be applied".

Oh, wait, did you only mean AMERICAN norms should apply to the rest of the world??

Found this in NCL's guest Conduct Policy.

DISCOURTEOUS OR DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except in the designated areas. (Contact Guest Services for more information.) Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s management.

I certainly hope that you are planning to wear a full burka covering your hair, face, arms and legs on your next cruise...you know because when there are multiple nationalities "restrictions need to be applied".

Oh, wait, did you only mean AMERICAN norms should apply to the rest of the world??

That is actually a very good point and a difficult one to refute.

Since we are off topic, I'll say that I don't care what people do on that deck and don't understand why anyone else should either. If you don't want to see what is there, don't go there. We (my wife and I) are too modest to go without our clothes, but we are educated enough to realize it is normal for some others to do so. We are open minded enough to accept that our views and customs are relative to our own experiences and upbringing.

Enjoy your ideal cruise and let others enjoy their ideal cruise.

I don't care if other pax are sunbathing topless/nude on their balcony, on an adults only deck or right next to the main pool. It's not my business to be looking at them! I've said the same for moms nursing their babies in public. My kids have seen plenty of breasts considering it's how they were fed for the first year of their lives and they are certainly not scarred for life. It's not my personal preference to be in the public eye, but it doesn't bother me if someone else is. Bodies are not solely sex objects and if anyone has a problem with seeing others' bodies, then they should just turn the other way and not look.

( @ ) ( @ )

Did someone say Topless Sunbathing

Quick, before my wife gets back.....what cabins can I book that overlook this area of the ship. I hear the view may sometimes be obstructed, but that when it's good......

Oh never mind.

J/K. :D

Edited by Kingofwylietx

I don't care if other pax are sunbathing topless/nude on their balcony, on an adults only deck or right next to the main pool. It's not my business to be looking at them! I've said the same for moms nursing their babies in public. My kids have seen plenty of breasts considering it's how they were fed for the first year of their lives and they are certainly not scarred for life. It's not my personal preference to be in the public eye, but it doesn't bother me if someone else is. Bodies are not solely sex objects and if anyone has a problem with seeing others' bodies, then they should just turn the other way and not look.

I have just been reading through all the comments in this thread, and was going to write a comment myself, but then I found this post and it states everything I wanted to write... I agree with you 100% NJfoodie, especially on the comment about that bodies are not solely sex objects. :)

PS: A couple of years ago, while on a Southern Caribbean cruise, we had a stop in St. Martin, and we had purchased a ship excursion to Orient Beach. And at one end of that beach there was a portion that was a "nude beach". We stayed on the "clothed" part of the beach, but I was amazed (and actually a little bit shocked) by the large number of adult Americans (all ages, from early 20ies and up to 70-80 years old) who were giggling like young teenagers about the possibility to see some naked people sun bathing, and several of them actually walked up to the nude part of the beach just to have a "look" - like if they have never seen a naked body before.... Personally I couldn't care less if people are sunbathing topless, nude or fully clothed.... It is absolutely none of my business.

Edited by TrumpyNor

From the Epic on the March 1, 2015 sailing... On the uppermost deck, there is a signed "Freestyle Sun Deck" that has a sign that says "Adults Only". The "Adults Only" sign is located directly at the base of the set of steps that must be walked to get up to the deck. It is a small area, with maybe room for 15-20 deck chairs. The sign does not indicated what "Adults Only" means and it makes no reference to "topless", "nudity", or "clothing optional". There were indeed topless and/or nude men and women on that deck during the cruise, including a member of the ship's musical talent crew. Many people (including some teenagers) either did not notice the sign or did not know what "Adults Only" might imply or did not care what it might imply because they would walk up the steps, turn the corner and see the skin and quickly turn around and walk back down. Many of them giggling.

The Freestyle deck was in use on Epic last December, as well. Pearl has a Freestyle deck, too. I would imagine all pre Breakaway ships have them. I haven't been on Breakaway class, so I cannot comment about them.

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except in the designated areas. (Contact Guest Services for more information.) Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s management.

I'm glad you posted this. I get really annoyed when folks whip out their Bluetooth speakers and start blasting their favorite kind of music.

Wife and I were on the Jewel in Dec 14 out of NOLA. On the first sea day, we went up on deck to catch some sun. I got restless and decided to check out the small deck up forward. What a surprise I had when I got to the top of the ladder. Went back down and told the wife that the view was spectacular up on that deck and she should go check it out. After getting an eye full, the wife gave me a ear full. I tease her to this day about the view.

Wife and I were on the Jewel in Dec 14 out of NOLA. On the first sea day, we went up on deck to catch some sun. I got restless and decided to check out the small deck up forward. What a surprise I had when I got to the top of the ladder. Went back down and told the wife that the view was spectacular up on that deck and she should go check it out. After getting an eye full, the wife gave me a ear full. I tease her to this day about the view.

Buhahahahahahahaha I'll buy you a beer Pete if I ever run into you

While I am shy and would never dream of going topless myself, I have to agree with other posters. We would be much better if we were more concerned with the tremendous amount of killing on media and its effects on young people than the possibility that they might see someone bathing or sunning topless or even in the nude.

I am especially confused about allusions that this has something to do with morality or Christian values. As far as I remember, the Ten Commandments include " Thou shall not kill."" And no where're does it say "Thou shall not go without clothes."

Not that NCL staff EVER enforce the rules for ANYTHING. We are beginning to feel like "Freestyle" actually means "Free for All." I get that they don't want big confrontations, but come on. I'm all for topless sunbathing, just against chair hogs.

Edited by BendORcruiser

100% agree i sunbathe topless whenever on holiday unfortunately since falling in love with cruising this is no longer an option :(

Actually, yes. Protocol on an EMT run is to cut off and remove clothing on an injured or in-distress patient so an assessment can be made.

That makes sense. I was thinking of (and I'm showing my age here) how the Roll Call Sergeant died on "Hill Street Blues" (to put it delicately, "mid-coital expiration"). What a way to go, but that one is probably less common.

To add to the conversation about "puritanical" values and such, I am a Christian (and a pastor to boot), and I have no problem with those who would want to sunbathe topless. I totally get the whole "no tan lines" thing, and I feel for women who consider it a chance to be less encumbered for some relaxing time in the sun. I have to admit, though, that totally nude crosses a line for me, if only because I feel there's an intimacy to total nudity that isn't meant for public consumption. But that's just my opinion.

It won't effect me in the slightest, as I didn't par take in this, maybe the haven can somehow absorb this area[emoji13]

LOL..I do believe the Haven is still on NCL Cruise Line..I think that will also be off limits..

Jancruz1