Six breakaway ships homeports.

DutchCruiseFan

If remotely true, the Caribbean ports will be flooded with lots of milky runs ... runoffs and spills. Good luck filling them up with the competitions lurking all around - better got some real good bacon & start fishing ... :rolleyes:

We will be looking somewhere else ... vacation is not limited to just cruising :D

Sorry, couldn't resist injecting some humor & crack my lousy jokes on this question / comment with the latest development.

It doesn't matter where they sail from. Very limited number of ports in the world that can handle these monsters. It is not going to matter where they sail from becasue so you will have seven day cruises with at most two ports of call.

FDR doesn't want "Milk Runs," so it will be interesting to see what he does with these new ships. Hopefully we still get all of them. Remember when they canceled future Epic ships? I'm not saying this is going to happen again, but they need to offer more variety if they're going to go with that future plan. Definitely upgrade some ports to allow for larger vessels and start getting creative with itineraries.

FDR doesn't want "Milk Runs," so it will be interesting to see what he does with these new ships. Hopefully we still get all of them. Remember when they canceled future Epic ships? I'm not saying this is going to happen again, but they need to offer more variety if they're going to go with that future plan. Definitely upgrade some ports to allow for larger vessels and start getting creative with itineraries.

Sorry, what is a "milk run"?

And who is FDR?

Sorry, what is a "milk run"?

And who is FDR?

FDR = Frank Del Rio, the new CEO

"Milk Run" = What Del Rio refers to as the same 7-day cruise every single week. He is fighting against them, according to what he said in the article where he was interviewed after taking over. He wants variety just like we all do.

FDR = Frank Del Rio, the new CEO

"Milk Run" = What Del Rio refers to as the same 7-day cruise every single week. He is fighting against them, according to what he said in the article where he was interviewed after taking over. He wants variety just like we all do.

Thanks for answering. much appreciated.

I agree, I like sailing on the newer bigger ships, but don't like doing the same itinerary over and over. If he is going to mix it up a little bit, fantastic, i'm even more loyal to NCL.

I know that I'm most likely in the minority, but I would love to see the return of some smaller ships. Sometimes I really miss the older ships that were between 40,000 and 70,000 tons, as much as I love the larger ships of today as well. But it would be nice to have variety. Unfortunately, these seem to only exist today on luxury lines we cannot afford, or aren't great for our kids. I loved the cruise we took in 2002 on the Norwegian Sea, for example, and that was a smaller ship.

I don't think the mass market lines will ever return to smaller ships though.

I know that I'm most likely in the minority, but I would love to see the return of some smaller ships. Sometimes I really miss the older ships that were between 40,000 and 70,000 tons, as much as I love the larger ships of today as well. But it would be nice to have variety. Unfortunately, these seem to only exist today on luxury lines we cannot afford, or aren't great for our kids. I loved the cruise we took in 2002 on the Norwegian Sea, for example, and that was a smaller ship.

Ive only sailed 3 times and have my fourth booked,

ive sailed on the NCL Epic, Royals oasis of the seas, NCL Getaway and ive booked the NCL Escape. I only prefer the big ships because thats all ive sailed, when i look at booking a cruise, I do look at the smaller ships, but just prefer the look and activities available on the bigger ships. I think i was spoiled with my first 2 sailings being the Epic and oasis.

Agree. A bit more variety would be nice but I don't think the economies of scale used by the cruise lines support such an idea. I'd love to see another 50K ton ship like Dream that could fit through the Kiel Canal. That remains one of my favorite cruising experiences.

I hate to agree. Our first ever cruise was on the 600 passenger Original Pacific Princess. We fell in LOVE!!! We're tried the Breakaway and found so much to love about it but find we are more comfortable on a smaller ship like the Gem. We don;t feel lost in the shuffle of massive crowds I guess and like the more personalized service of crew members actually knowing your name etc. It works for us. The good thing is there are options for all of us. :)

How big is the chance that when there are six Breakaway class vessels that all of them will be based in the Caribbean?

I think 100%.

I was thinking about.

1 sailing from NYC

1 from Port Canaveral

2 from Fort Lauderdale

2 from Miami

Zero, Zilch, Nada, None.

Was there a plan for more Epic class ships?

Agree. A bit more variety would be nice but I don't think the economies of scale used by the cruise lines support such an idea. I'd love to see another 50K ton ship like Dream that could fit through the Kiel Canal. That remains one of my favorite cruising experiences.

You're right, I can't see the mainstream cruise lines building smaller ships like that, sadly.

I hate to agree. Our first ever cruise was on the 600 passenger Original Pacific Princess. We fell in LOVE!!! We're tried the Breakaway and found so much to love about it but find we are more comfortable on a smaller ship like the Gem. We don;t feel lost in the shuffle of massive crowds I guess and like the more personalized service of crew members actually knowing your name etc. It works for us. The good thing is there are options for all of us. :)

My first cruise was on the Nordic Prince (Royal Caribbean) to Bermuda in 1990 when I was 13, and although that ship would be considered tiny by today's standards of mainstream cruising, it felt huge when we were on it, to my parents too! We all loved that vacation so much and we still talk about all the wonderful things about it. I miss cruise ships being able to dock in St. George's and Hamilton in Bermuda, but probably more for nostalgic reasons than anything else. Today's ships just don't fit.

I will admit though, I do still love the huge ships and am very much looking forward to the Breakaway this July. I love all the options that they didn't have all those years ago. I mean in 1990 when I first cruised, the only dinner option was the MDR unless you got the 24-hour room service menu. There wasn't even a dinner buffet available...the buffet was only open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea & snacks.

Sounds pretty cool, why didn't they build her?

Isn't the Epic very succesfull?:confused:

Successful after a year of fixing all the defects from the crappy build. I was on the first cruise with 250 workers from the shipyard on board working thru the 1000+ items on the punch list. As a point of quality comparison the Getaway had 15 items on the punch list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim