DIY Vesuvius and Pompei or is this too crazy!

trvlgirlmq

So after looking into private tours and getting pricing I am rethinking a DIY day for Naples port. Please tell me if I am too crazy for thinking this! The money savings is about €230 so that is a factor. Traveling will be myself (42), my mom (a mostly fit 62), DS 13 & niece 11 (ages at time of travel). We have traveled on public transportation in both England and France (bus, train, metro).

So, the plan would be:

1. Off the ship as close to 7 am as we can

2. SITA bus from Nuovo Marina stop to Pompei 8am departure

3. Arrive 8:35 am and walk to Pompei-Scavi train station

4. Buy tour from Busvia del Vesuvio for 9 am departure

5. Return approximately Noon

6. quick bite to eat

7. Visit Pompei for a couple of hours and depart by 3:30 pm

8. SITA bus from Pompei at 4 pm

9. Arrive Naples at 4:35 pm

Give it to me straight people and thank you for any help!

Your plan is solid and this is coming from somebody that DIY'd Pompeii and a Capri island cruise in one port day. (7:00am depart and 6:59pm:eek: return. I tell you, the cruise workers were pissed at me)

My only advice would be to keep in mind that it gets HOT in Pompeii and you will there when it is at its hottest.

Yes, it looks good to me. The bus drops you off a short five-minute walk from the cruise port so unless you have a very early departure time you'll have plenty of room on that end.

Your mother may not want to climb Vesuvio - it's not a long walk, only about a mile from start to the top, but it's very steep and on loose gravel. At the very top there are large boulders to climb over.

Your plan is solid and this is coming from somebody that DIY'd Pompeii and a Capri island cruise in one port day. (7:00am depart and 6:59pm:eek: return. I tell you, the cruise workers were pissed at me)

My only advice would be to keep in mind that it gets HOT in Pompeii and you will there when it is at its hottest.

We are docked 7 - 7 so I think our timing is good.

I thought about reversing the order but decided the hike in the afternoon heat would be worse than just walking around.

Yes, it looks good to me. The bus drops you off a short five-minute walk from the cruise port so unless you have a very early departure time you'll have plenty of room on that end.

Your mother may not want to climb Vesuvio - it's not a long walk, only about a mile from start to the top, but it's very steep and on loose gravel. At the very top there are large boulders to climb over.

Thank you! My mom does a lot of walking/hiking for exercise and we will "train" a bit before . She can always plop on the benches and take her time or stay at the bottom and wait. It's a we'll see situation.

Getting more excited now that I know we have a feasible plan. Also will check train schedules as a back up on the return just in case.

a couple things.

buy train tickets ahead of time. I had to wait an hour just to buy a ticket and then another hour just to get on the train going to pompeii. the train was VERY crowded - lots of students - and had to stand the whole way going. something to think about.

I don't recall any place to really sit and rest and Pompeii. and there is no shade. be sure to bring water. lots of water. also a hat and I had a bandana to wet down and put around my neck. there are a few fountains.

also, download rick steves' tour of Pompeii. I saw lots more than folks who did it on their own.

oh, one more thing. are you walking to the train station?

a couple things.

buy train tickets ahead of time. I had to wait an hour just to buy a ticket and then another hour just to get on the train going to pompeii. the train was VERY crowded - lots of students - and had to stand the whole way going. something to think about.

I don't recall any place to really sit and rest and Pompeii. and there is no shade. be sure to bring water. lots of water. also a hat and I had a bandana to wet down and put around my neck. there are a few fountains.

also, download rick steves' tour of Pompeii. I saw lots more than folks who did it on their own.

Our plan is to take the SITA bus which departs from outside the port. I will only use the train on return as a backup if for some off reason we miss the bus.

We will definitely stay hydrated! I've lived in the desert Southwest and now in the humid Southeast and know my limits!

Already got the RS app and will download the walking tours on all of our phones pre-cruise!

Thanks for all of the tips.

a couple things.

WOW! Been on those Circumvesuviana trains quite a few times and never had a problem with queues or crowding. You can get tickets at either train station and I believe they also sell tickets in the vending machines. Not sure, but they might even sell Circumvesuviania tickets at the small Kiosk near the tram stop in front of the port. As to being crowded, guess it does happen but keep in mind these trains run every 30 minutes and there are no reservations or reserved seats.

Hank

• 1 year later...
So after looking into private tours and getting pricing I am rethinking a DIY day for Naples port. Please tell me if I am too crazy for thinking this! The money savings is about €230 so that is a factor. Traveling will be myself (42), my mom (a mostly fit 62), DS 13 & niece 11 (ages at time of travel). We have traveled on public transportation in both England and France (bus, train, metro).

So, the plan would be:

1. Off the ship as close to 7 am as we can

2. SITA bus from Nuovo Marina stop to Pompei 8am departure

3. Arrive 8:35 am and walk to Pompei-Scavi train station

4. Buy tour from Busvia del Vesuvio for 9 am departure

5. Return approximately Noon

6. quick bite to eat

7. Visit Pompei for a couple of hours and depart by 3:30 pm

8. SITA bus from Pompei at 4 pm

9. Arrive Naples at 4:35 pm

Give it to me straight people and thank you for any help!

How did this work out for you? I am looking into doing the same thing next month. Any additional pointers? Were you able to get back to port by 4:30?

Christine.